Prediction State of Origin 2020 Noms

Remove this Banner Ad

If not this game, they'll be playing a preseason game with no less injury risk.

For all we know, Cripps playing this game may save him from an injury that he otherwise would have gotten playing for us.
Pre-season games are a necessary evil and are much more than just getting game time under a players belt.

Playing a pre-season game Cripps will be able to get time with his team mates and work on Carlton game plans and will be able to have his minutes managed - none of that will happen playing SOO.

It is about Risk V Reward - SOO all risk no reward.

Surely an exhibition game that generates funds for the victims of bushfires is a good thing.
Our players can play this game in victoria on 28/2/20 or at mandurah on 29/20. I know which I'd prefer for them.
Every player would be playing a trial game anyway so the risk of injury is not increased.
Hopefully a couple of ours will use the recognition of being deemed good enough to be picked in an elite team as a springboard for the year.
The cynicism on this board can be baffling at times.
I'd prefer the game where we have control and he plays with his teammates.

As for the fundraising - by the time the 28th rolls around the any corporate money donated through this game will simply be money that has been held back from previous donations to be able to make the donation on live TV. It won't be new money. On the general public side - over 90k people attended the pre-season games last year and 380k attended round 1 - designating either of these as "bush fire fundraisers" would generate much more than 50k attending marvel.

if there has ever been an organisation hell bent on maximising income it's the afl - think they would have crunched the numbers - criticism of the game itself will likely attract its own negative feedback.........
They have certainly crunched the numbers on generating income - unfortunately it is the AFL's income not the Fundraising income that they are intent on maximising. The SOO maximises the exposure for the AFL. Not exactly the spirit of charity

Matthew 6:1-2 “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

so that your merciful deeds may be in secret, then your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. Matthew 6:4

Im in favour of soo games for the afl. I think it could potentially be an integral part of the afl season adding more enjoyment for the spectators and raising the profile of afl across the country and even overseas. It has to be done right though with game style that promotes high flying marks, long goals, a coloured fluro ball, lots of crashing/bumping and a bit of biffing. Rugby league do a brilliant job. I realise it is different and has not been as popular compared to rugby league soo but i believe it can work.

Matthew 6:1-2 “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

so that your merciful deeds may be in secret, then your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. Matthew 6:4

GK3M.gif

If not this game, they'll be playing a preseason game with no less injury risk.

For all we know, Cripps playing this game may save him from an injury that he otherwise would have gotten playing for us.
Pre-season games have the benefit of practising what we've been training over summer in real match mode. They benefit the whole group. Playing a pseudo state of origin does not. If anything it will have a negative impact with some of our best missing the praccy match.

Also, anyone thinking this opens the door for SoO is dreaming. It is more dead than Fitzroy and princes park as an afl venue.

They have certainly crunched the numbers on generating income - unfortunately it is the AFL's income not the Fundraising income that they are intent on maximising. The SOO maximises the exposure for the AFL. Not exactly the spirit of charity

You almost had me until you started quoting me. Flattery will get you absolutely nowhere.

I get you don't.
The big picture is not everyone's cup of tea.

I absolute love there is an opportunity that more will get it though.
Bring it on. Onwards and upwards.
I see your "big picture" I am simply not deluded into thinking something that has been tried and failed before is a magnificent opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your very words show you don't
Then show me oh wise one, why is SOO, a game which we lost interest in 20 years ago and the 1 time it reappeared over a decade ago saw several high profile players pull out at the last minute and less than 70k turn up to the game such a massive opportunity?

Not interested in convincing anyone that already Debbie Downer view deeply embedded.
I'll enjoy the high quality football I can watch. You can do something else.
:tearsofjoy: I love this attitude, trying to cover a lack of an argument with indignation about discussing things with someone beneath you.

As for "high quality" football, the last proper SOO game in 1999 had a scoreline of 121 to 67, SOO doesn't necessarily equal high quality, the whole reason it was abandoned in the first place is that the elite players weren't playing and the games weren't high quality.

Im in favour of soo games for the afl. I think it could potentially be an integral part of the afl season adding more enjoyment for the spectators and raising the profile of afl across the country and even overseas. It has to be done right though with game style that promotes high flying marks, long goals, a coloured fluro ball, lots of crashing/bumping and a bit of biffing. Rugby league do a brilliant job. I realise it is different and has not been as popular compared to rugby league soo but i believe it can work.
Always thought the club pre-season is right time for it and not in middle of the club premiership season.
Finally by accident the AFL will have something like it as a fund raiser so look forward to how they will give them a taste of what could be done for real in future.

Always thought the club pre-season is right time for it and not in middle of the club premiership season.
Finally by accident the AFL will have something like it as a fund raiser so look forward to how they will give them a taste of what could be done for real in future.
Why are Clubs going to be more likely to release their most important players pre-season than they are mid season, at least by mid season there are a number of clubs that are out of the running for finals?

You are proving my porignal point though, this game is less about the charity and more about getting "a taste of what could be done for real in future."

Yes, Debbie Dwoner. Heard you not like it the first 100 times...
Simply trying to get you to give a reason for your belief's beyond "I like football, more football is good".

The fact your resort to childish name calling rather than engage in rational discussion speaks volumes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back