Stats - Do you know what they all mean?

Remove this Banner Ad

I assume you've seen this gem. A lot of these are statistically correct under their definition - they are physical contact that prevents effective disposals. But they sure aren't what fans would grade as tackles.

Well since he only recorded 5 tackles on the day I’m calling this out for fake news!!

I assume you've seen this gem. A lot of these are statistically correct under their definition - they are physical contact that prevents effective disposals. But they sure aren't what fans would grade as tackles.

As if they are counted as tackles :eek:

Surely the tackles they recorded were referring to other instances?

Kicks off the ground, When are they deemed an actual kick for the player?
How far does it need to go?
If I kick the ball 30 meters up the line run onto it and kick it again 40 meters is it 2 kicks?
Was Scarlett's toe poke a registered kick?

It counts if it ends up going to a team-mate / goal.

I suspect, without looking it up, that it counts if it's an effective disposal

Well since he only recorded 5 tackles on the day I’m calling this out for fake news!!

Given every fantasy site has his stats registered at 7, and 127 Fantasy points, I'm going with the AFL has ret-conned their own stats :thumbsu:

Champion data points are corrupt as. It's a bullshit points base program

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

Good thread.

I'd love to know what a clearance is, especially from the centre bounce.
Is it first disposal? An emergency handpass in the tackle that goes 50 cm and is collected by the opposition?
First effective disposal? 'Effective' meaning..?
First disposal to exit the square?

What happens when it takes say 20 seconds before there's a kick or handpass? Does that count as a clearance or just a regular stat?

Thinking about this, it's probably the fuzzy definition that is why some top teams can lose 'clearances' and win. A lot of them are probably junk disposals that don't go to advantage of get stolen by opposition.
Shhhh nothing to see here.

Wow. I am genuinely surprised by this video. I had no idea that stuff like that would have been graded as tackles.

It definitely clears up for me why some slow inside players get huge tackle numbers when I've never seen them run down a bloke in their entire career.

A bunch of them are meaningless, made up subjective crap. 1%ers? Spare me.

Pleased to see dougal howard broke the record for fistings though

It is also objectionable from a mathematical point of view. What is it 1% of? If a player racks up ten 1%ers can we say that the play got 10%?

And what happens when a player racks up 100 1%ers? Is that ONE? One what?

And if something is three times as good as a 1%er then there should be a 3% stat too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bunch of them are meaningless, made up subjective crap. 1%ers? Spare me.

Pleased to see dougal howard broke the record for fistings though

It is also objectionable from a mathematical point of view. What is it 1% of? If a player racks up ten 1%ers can we say that the play got 10%?

And what happens when a player racks up 100 1%ers? Is that ONE? One what?

And if something is three times as good as a 1%er then there should be a 3% stat too.

"One Percenters" is a collective term for a total of spoils, shepherds, smothers and knock-ons. Perfectly worthwhile measurement of and attempt to quantify the "little things" that don't really get measured elsewhere.

When literalists read too much into the meaning of the word, that's when things become problematic.

Wow. I am genuinely surprised by this video. I had no idea that stuff like that would have been graded as tackles.

It definitely clears up for me why some slow inside players get huge tackle numbers when I've never seen them run down a bloke in their entire career.

I always assumed that if you lay a tackle, it's simply counted as a tackle. I never thought it had to specifically be a run down, or result in a HTB call or stoppage, or even knock the ball loose.

"One Percenters" is a collective term for a total of spoils, shepherds, smothers and knock-ons. Perfectly worthwhile measurement of and attempt to quantify the "little things" that don't really get measured elsewhere.

When literalists read too much into the meaning of the word, that's when things become problematic.

Putting aside the irony of criticising someone for taking a word literally, it is clear from my post that I am criticising the application of an unsupported value to it.

Who understands the metres gained stat and why it is so important? From my understanding you can give a 10 metre effective handball backwards to a teammate but it will subtract 10m away from metres gained. What if a player runs forward 10m and kicks forward 20m straight to the opposition, does that count as 30 metres gained?

If you read most threads you will see many posters bringing up advanced stats like contested possessions, kick efficiency, contested marks, tackles etc.
Some are pretty obvious as to what they are, but some are very subjective I would think, and some I wonder if many posters could actually define them.

For example, can you tell exactly what a contested mark is when you see it? Obviously a pack mark would qualify, but a forward on a lead with the defender right on his tail trying to get a spoil in, is this a contested mark?
What if the defender is 0.5m away but creating pressure?
I just query where they draw the line and if there is consistency in the presumably many people who record the stats.

Similarly, can you tell the difference between a contested and uncontested possession? How close does the opposition have to be for it to be considered 'contested'? Does there need to be contact?

I assume a tackle is only recorded if it results in a ball-up or holding the ball decision - is this right?
If two players tackle an opposition player resulting in a ball-up do they both record a tackle?
If a player makes a tackle but the player gets a handball off, is this not recorded as a tackle?

What is considered an effective kick? What if you hit your teammate up but he drops the mark and it is turned over, is this still an effective kick?

I think a lot of us may use these stats, but apart from the obvious I query whether many know exactly what qualifies for some of them.

Is there somewhere one can find exact definitions on them?

You are looking at the meaning of Stats the wrong way

They are used by small cliques of players at certain clubs to kick the ball to each other to up their stats to get the attention of AFL Recruiters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back