Stats - Do you know what they all mean?

Remove this Banner Ad

Scatter

Club Legend
Dec 30, 2008
Geraldton
AFL Club
Fremantle
If you read most threads you will see many posters bringing up advanced stats like contested possessions, kick efficiency, contested marks, tackles etc.
Some are pretty obvious as to what they are, but some are very subjective I would think, and some I wonder if many posters could actually define them.

For example, can you tell exactly what a contested mark is when you see it? Obviously a pack mark would qualify, but a forward on a lead with the defender right on his tail trying to get a spoil in, is this a contested mark?
What if the defender is 0.5m away but creating pressure?
I just query where they draw the line and if there is consistency in the presumably many people who record the stats.

Similarly, can you tell the difference between a contested and uncontested possession? How close does the opposition have to be for it to be considered 'contested'? Does there need to be contact?

I assume a tackle is only recorded if it results in a ball-up or holding the ball decision - is this right?
If two players tackle an opposition player resulting in a ball-up do they both record a tackle?
If a player makes a tackle but the player gets a handball off, is this not recorded as a tackle?

What is considered an effective kick? What if you hit your teammate up but he drops the mark and it is turned over, is this still an effective kick?

I think a lot of us may use these stats, but apart from the obvious I query whether many know exactly what qualifies for some of them.

Is there somewhere one can find exact definitions on them?

I think sometimes a players reputation will alter their stats marginally. For example i think players like cripps,fyfe, kennedy would get given benefit of the doubt to contested possessions

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-28/stats-glossary-every-stat-explained

CONTESTED POSSESSION
A possession which has been won when the ball is in dispute. Includes looseball-gets, hardball-gets, contested marks, gathers from a hit-out and frees for.

EFFECTIVE KICK
A kick of more than 40 metres to a 50/50 contest or better for the team or a kick of less than 40 metres that results in the intended target retaining possession.

I think sometimes a players reputation will alter their stats marginally. For example i think players like cripps,fyfe, kennedy would get given benefit of the doubt to contested possessions
I assume you've seen this gem. A lot of these are statistically correct under their definition - they are physical contact that prevents effective disposals. But they sure aren't what fans would grade as tackles.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-28/stats-glossary-every-stat-explained

CONTESTED POSSESSION
A possession which has been won when the ball is in dispute. Includes looseball-gets, hardball-gets, contested marks, gathers from a hit-out and frees for.

EFFECTIVE KICK
A kick of more than 40 metres to a 50/50 contest or better for the team or a kick of less than 40 metres that results in the intended target retaining possession.
I've always seen hardball gets and contested possessions as a different stat.

Hardball gets is when a possession is won (not received off a teammate nor intercepted off opposition) in congestion e.g: bottom of a pack, 50/50 possession.

Contested posession is some form of contact from opposition when in possession of the ball e.g: fending off, slipping a tackle etc.

Similarly a loose ball get is winning an uncontested possession in the clear. But can also become contested i.e take a player on and shrug a tackle.

That's how I see it anyhow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its because they changed the definition of contested possessions in the early 00s. Thats why suddenly the number players are getting has skyrocketed.

A bunch of them are meaningless, made up subjective crap. 1%ers? Spare me.

Pleased to see dougal howard broke the record for fistings though

The Alex Rance Memorial Trophy.

Wow never seen that...didnt see a single tackle there
I won't accept a player getting 0 tackles having seen that. Not exactly setting a high bar.

1%'s and 'Pressure acts' I have no idea what they are and how they count them.
Pretty sure 1%'s are spoils, smothers, shepherds, non hitout taps to advantage etc.

I thought Martins 'tackles' were pressure acts so don't have a clue now.

Good thread.

I'd love to know what a clearance is, especially from the centre bounce.
Is it first disposal? An emergency handpass in the tackle that goes 50 cm and is collected by the opposition?
First effective disposal? 'Effective' meaning..?
First disposal to exit the square?

What happens when it takes say 20 seconds before there's a kick or handpass? Does that count as a clearance or just a regular stat?

Thinking about this, it's probably the fuzzy definition that is why some top teams can lose 'clearances' and win. A lot of them are probably junk disposals that don't go to advantage of get stolen by opposition.

I have always thought it was first disposal to exit the square.
Not sure about around the ground though, must be very subjective when there is often dinky little handballs between players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back