Steve Johnson

Should Collingwood recruit Steve Johnson?

• Yes

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • No

Votes: 72 64.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If he doesn't play well it's a bust. If he does play well he just squeezes a young guy out who isn't getting an opportunity. I don't see him tipping us into flag contention therefore a waste of cap space and upsets our youth development.

Also with Treloar coming into the midfield we probably squeeze another mid into the forward line as it is.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Guys theres a reason Geelong, a team in a similar position to us, just with an older top-end, was more than willing to drop him.

Yes, they have a fleet of multi premiership players in their early to mid 30's that have to retire off in a short space of time. Without that factor he'd still be at the Cats

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
Yes, they have a fleet of multi premiership players in their early to mid 30's that have to retire off in a short space of time. Without that factor he'd still be at the Cats

They had decisions to make.
They kept Enright and Bartel.
They dropped Johnson, Kelly and Stokes.

Kelly was gone coz of ability - i think for the others attitude was just as big a factor in deciding who stayed and who went.

Justlokan

All Australian
Aug 24, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Everton
we should get james kelly too.... and chappie!!

chris newman might be available and he kicked 2 goals in a losing side last weekend...worth consideration.

I like your thinking. Using the same logic we should bring back Toby Thoolen.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
I like your thinking. Using the same logic we should bring back Toby Thoolen.

hmmm....well he wasnt really much of a success. However, I wouldnt say no to Warwick Capper if you twist my arm. I saw Skilts the other day when they were talking to him about the Swans and he looks pretty fit and ready for action. I wouldnt say that we should draft a 80 year old but a rookie listing wouldnt be wasted...

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
They had decisions to make.
They kept Enright and Bartel.
They dropped Johnson, Kelly and Stokes.

Kelly was gone coz of ability - i think for the others attitude was just as big a factor in deciding who stayed and who went.

Doubt that it was totally about attitude. It was more the state of their list and who they could afford to carry and who was moe replaceable. Always a safer option to choose a steady relaible back pocket over an x factor goalkicker. Its a guessing game after all....the first premiership hero they turfed was Chappy and they got that wrong.

Mar 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I reckon Fas will have a big year next year. His last eight or so games were excellent. Billy is important to us as well and to our next flag push. Not a terrible idea. Wrong player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

davywap

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 10, 2010
on a chair
AFL Club
Collingwood
we should get james kelly too.... and chappie!!

chris newman might be available and he kicked 2 goals in a losing side last weekend...worth consideration.
I'm thinkin' Fletch up back and I heard Plugger is considering coming out of retirement again. John Farnham for the Grand Final after-party.

Somebody

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Somewhere
AFL Club
Collingwood
As goal kicking seems to be the weakest part of our game do you think the excitement machine that is Steve Johnson could help our forwards gain confidence in front of goal.

I believe someone like Steve Johnson tucked away in a forward pocket is exactly what we need.

I say give him a 2 year contract, along with an on field forwards coach apprenticeship.

With our goal kicking being abysmal this year something must change... I think Steve Johnson can help bring that to us.

Thoughts?
Would be great if we can get him cheap

Yonchi

Senior List
Jul 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
The guys oozes football knowledge. He can play mid and in particular as a small forward. In recent years we've lost small forwards with goal sense like Krakouer and Didak (and Caracella :)). Elliot and Fasolo are not talented small forwards in the same way Johnson can be. I can only see up-side in having him on our list.

HappyRed

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Steve Johnson has some terrible bad habits, trying to be flashy when it isn't required and to top it off, he's very slow these days. No thank you.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
I'm thinkin' Fletch up back and I heard Plugger is considering coming out of retirement again. John Farnham for the Grand Final after-party.

Plugger... of course there are those old stories that we had a chance of getting him.... why not do it now? Why not Meatloaf for half-time? ohhh that's been done...

Back