StKilda - the present and the future (and maybe the past)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If the club suffered these defeats regularly then the concerns in your OP would be correct. However, so far this season it is not the case and so as it stands your concerns are invalid.

Invalid? You lost by 145 points after losing the week before to Brisbane with two of your three wins coming against GWS and Melbourne.

Merely pointing out how easy St Kilda fans were ready to jump all over the Essendon game yet are silent after this one. I pointed to the potential of being Melbourne-like and today was exactly that.

And what of the games that aren't Melbourne like which outnumber the games that are 5-2

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Merely pointing out how easy St Kilda fans were ready to jump all over the Essendon game yet are silent after this one. I pointed to the potential of being Melbourne-like and today was exactly that.

Melbourne like? Last year was the first in 10 we lost more than we won. How does one heavy loss against last years premier condemn us to being "like Melbourne" who have been terrible for 8 years? Such an illogical OP.

If the club suffered these defeats regularly then the concerns in your OP would be correct. However, so far this season it is not the case and so as it stands your concerns are invalid.

Time will tell if the Essendon win was an abherration. They barely could get over the line against the Dogs last night so Essendon is hardly a scalp these days. There is a possibility that StKildas three wins will be the only three games they win all year. The veterans who carried them early are already showing signs of wear and tear, and the kids cant do all the work yet. The mid aged players just dont exist, with the possible exceptions of Steven, Stenley (jury out) and the injured Armitage.

I hope for Alan Richardsons sake he isnt treated like a scapegoat like his predecessor.

I get that you're trying to highlight some sort of hypocrisy

so here's some more fuel for the fire

Yes, taking one game in isolation when talking about entire seasons is a wonderful argument.

Enjoy the night Saints fans, but there is a long way to go.

The one thing I will concede is to Timmy's point above, Essendon might not have been the scalp we thought they were at the time.

A scalp nonetheless though. ;)

Why do you keep shifting the goals posts man..

I personally think that the St Kilda side of the next five years could blow Melbourne out of the pain and desperation that could occur.

Yesterday was one of the worst losses in our history, no doubt about it. You seem to think there's no real precedent to how bad we'll be after a 145 point belting. It's really shit, but looking at recent years it's not just a 'Melbourne' thing

2013: Essendon v. Melbourne - 184-36
2012: Hawthorn v. GWS - 193-31
2011: Hawthorn v. Port - 197-32
2010: Hawthorn v. Fremantle - 155-39
2009: Adelaide v. Fremantle - 130-13
2008: Geelong v. WC - 182-47

that's without even bringing 186 into the frame..You say we'll be worse than Melbourne. The Dees conceded 10 more goals that day than we did yesterday. Our biggest ever loss to the Hawks. I'm not trying to rub salt into their wounds but you seriously really think we can be that bad, or worse?

It's not even one or two thrashings that have separated Melbourne from the rest. It's the inability to rebound up the ladder after a couple of these awful seasons. A couple of years ago I didn't think we'd be this bad. I thought we might trade players like Goddard for top 10 picks and at least stay in touch, a bit like the Pies have. We missed that boat and are in the cellar for at least a year or two. In spite of that, we still have the same W/L record at this point as a team which was supposed to be top 4 this year.

Why do you keep shifting the goals posts man..

Yesterday was one of the worst losses in our history, no doubt about it. You seem to think there's no real precedent to how bad we'll be after a 145 point belting. It's really shit, but looking at recent years it's not just a 'Melbourne' thing

2013: Essendon v. Melbourne - 184-36
2012: Hawthorn v. GWS - 193-31
2011: Hawthorn v. Port - 197-32
2010: Hawthorn v. Fremantle - 155-39
2009: Adelaide v. Fremantle - 130-13
2008: Geelong v. WC - 182-47

that's without even bringing 186 into the frame..You say we'll be worse than Melbourne. The Dees conceded 10 more goals that day than we did yesterday. Our biggest ever loss to the Hawks. I'm not trying to rub salt into their wounds but you seriously really think we can be that bad, or worse?

It's not even one or two thrashings that have separated Melbourne from the rest. It's the inability to rebound up the ladder after a couple of these awful seasons. A couple of years ago I didn't think we'd be this bad. I thought we might trade players like Goddard for top 10 picks and at least stay in touch, a bit like the Pies have. We missed that boat and are in the cellar for at least a year or two. In spite of that, we still have the same W/L record at this point as a team which was supposed to be top 4 this year.

North & GC have copped some floggings in the last 3 years, and today are playing off for one to be 5-2.

Buddy's 13 Hawks 174-59
166 West Coast v Gold Coast 40

197 Essendon v Gold Coast 58
188 Geelong v Gold Coast 38 (hell, that same round 159 Collingwood v PORT 21)
147 Collingwood v North 30

etc

So yeah, basically a huge loss does not indicate anything about having another 8 shit years. You might have 3. Definitely not Melbourne-like.

I love how The Prosecutor couldn't accept the Bombers/Saints game because it 'was only 1 game' yet the Hawks flogging the Saints is 'potential to be Melbourne-like'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

145 points is not fun, and cannot be understated.

Even if their best player and captain couldn't get his hands on the ball, was playing sore and in horrible conditions, as well as coming up against an absolutely rampant reigning premier.

But this is a team that has personally gutted itself for a quick rebuild, and they've somehow managed to be 3-4 at this stage of the season. They owned the last quarter against Brisbane as well and should be 4-3, but bad kicking saw them lose.

To suggest that St Kilda are a rabble off of one loss is still to ignore the fact that they've won 3 games, and lost 4. They play Carlton this week, in my view it is entirely 50-50. They could level their ledger more than a third of the way into the season.

Any inferences of a basket case or any comparisons with Melbourne 2007-2013 are nowhere near the mark yet.

Talking positively about 3 wins = taking things in isolation.

But predicting 5 years or more of bottom finishes after a thrashing from the best side in the competition isn't?

Not to mention the thread was started after a glorified practice match.

Still an embarrassing thread for the OP despite his laughable attempts to wriggle out of it.

One big loss to the reigning premiers who are playing even better than last year isn't enough for a crisis meeting.

Better teams than us have been and will be carved up by the Hawks this year.

And if the Saints beat Carlton on Monday night, will we have to take back this take back of the take back we took back?

It's a very, very poor loss, but don't get too excited, that happens when a team is rebuilding.

Still an embarrassing thread for the OP despite his laughable attempts to wriggle out of it.

One big loss to the reigning premiers who are playing even better than last year isn't enough for a crisis meeting.

Better teams than us have been and will be carved up by the Hawks this year.

It wasn't just a 'big loss' but a complete and utter humiliation the week after getting knocked of by the worst side in the competition. The thread is about as embarrassing as the way you were strutting around like a peacock after managing to beat a very mediocre Essendon side..

I made the comparison to Melbourne and this is up there with anything Melbourne dished up other the past seven years.
I'm not saying that the weekends performance was anywhere near good enough because it wasn't but if you are referring to Melbourne's 148 point loss to Essendon last year the comparison isn't really fair because Hawthorn are a better team than Essendon were.

It wasn't just a 'big loss' but a complete and utter humiliation the week after getting knocked of by the worst side in the competition. The thread is about as embarrassing as the way you were strutting around like a peacock after managing to beat a very mediocre Essendon side..

Didn't your mob kick 2.1 for a match a few years ago?

Rebuilding sides get thumped it happens.

I think Port have proven that any team is just 2 seasons away from being any good and competing at the top level, the Saints will have their bad days and on occasion surprise a few who underestimate them. They wouldn't want to have another 20 goal thrashing though. I tipped them for the spoon pre- season, and they are certainly contenders for it, but i don't think they are really any worse than Brisbane, Carlton or Melbourne. It's a raffle at the bottom end.

Remember that game in Adelaide a few years ago.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back