Strategy for 2017

How much cash will you have left going into round 1?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My plans for this year.

• My POD will be to not have any POD's
  • Don't get sucked in by flavour of the month midpricers who you've never rated based on their Preseason form. Jesse lonergan anyone? Avoiding a common dud is much easier than trying to find a hidden gem
  • But at the same time Trust the hivemind, no matter how much I think Kyle Langford is going to breakout and average 105, the Fact that 99% of supercoachers haven't picked him means that he won't.
  • No players who've had soft tissue issues within the previous 12 months. Laugh at everybody who picks JJ.
  • Ruck coverage is essential. Ryder is the first player picked.
  • Actually plan for the bye this time...If torn between 2 players pick the one with the round 12 bye, and Avoid picking gold Coast and port premos, instead will look to trade them in after round 9

Leaving money in the bank is stupid. It is like leaving a million dollars hidden under your bed for a year rather than having it sit in a bank and make interest

The intent would be to have it spent within the next fortnight, in that time fees would exceed interest ;)

My strategy is
DEFENCE
* 3 premium defenders that I feel will be in the top 6 scorers for the season. But not the most expensive ones as I feel they may drop a little in price (ie Docherty, Shaw)
* 1 semi premium that I think can really boost their output this year (looking at a Hartlett or McDonald type)
* 4 rookies who are playing in the first rounds to get me some quick $$$'s

MIDFIELD
* 5 premium midfielders who I think can be in the top 8 highest scoring midfielders come the years end. One of them I will go for a cheaper option $400-$450k (like a Murphy or Beams)
* 1 midpricer who can a nice cash cow (Swallow)
* 5 rookies who are playing in the first rounds to get me some quick $$$'s

RUCKS
* 2 premiums. Lock and forget (Gawn & Goldy/Martin)

FORWRDS
* Taking more chances here as the forward options aren't that great
* 1 top premium (most likely Dahlhaus or Macrae)
* 3 players around the $350-$400k that are undervalued imo. Young player I expect to take the leap (Heeney/T Miller ext) and a couple of undervalued players (Roughead and ryder most likely).
* 4 rookies who are playing in the first rounds to get me some quick $$$'s

Leaving money in the bank is stupid. It is like leaving a million dollars hidden under your bed for a year rather than having it sit in a bank and make interest

Really....

Each to there own i guess. I personally think its bloody smart

on what basis?

Lets say you start ruffy as i think you indicated in another thread.
He gets injured rd2 and is out for 4 weeks.
You have no cash, who do you bring in?

Or you have a 120k rookie who plays 2 rounds gets injured or is basically playing like crap.
No other rookie below 120k is playing next rd
A rookie who is 150k has had back to back 100 point games,
How do you bring that rookie in?

Plenty of other examples where setting your team up with a 50k-100k buffer saves the structure of your team both at Rd1 selections as well as in the 1st few weeks as correctional trades are required

Lets say you start ruffy as i think you indicated in another thread.
He gets injured rd2 and is out for 4 weeks.
You have no cash, who do you bring in?

Or you have a 120k rookie who plays 2 rounds gets injured or is basically playing like crap.
No other rookie below 120k is playing next rd
A rookie who is 150k has had back to back 100 point games,
How do you bring that rookie in?

Plenty of other examples where setting your team up with a 50k-100k buffer saves the structure of your team both at Rd1 selections as well as in the 1st few weeks as correctional trades are required

How much is too much to leave in the bank? I have one lineup that leaves 500k in the bank without too many sacrifices (Hartlett instead of Montagna, SPP instead of Swallow, Roughy instead of Dahlhaus). It's very tempting but is that too much to have not being used?

How much is too much to leave in the bank? I have one lineup that leaves 500k in the bank without too many sacrifices (Hartlett instead of Montagna, SPP instead of Swallow, Roughy instead of Dahlhaus). It's very tempting but is that too much to have not being used?
That's way too much imo
You can can get another premium with that
$100k is plenty

Each to their own

For me 50-100k

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This year I'm going for the league win. I'm not going to make the overall a focus or even a consideration.

So how does this change my strategy?

I've come for advice mostly, but things that come to mind is:
- points don't count in the first two rounds
- depending on league strength, there is less impact from absolutely bombing one of the byes rounds

But the focus is on team strength at the end of the year (if your league isn't crazy strong, which mine isn't). What are some strategies for this?

I am going to try to structure my initial team around cash generating rookies, potentially at the expense of early point scoring. Im not sure exactly how this will look though.

I'm also trying to go a bit low risk on injury-prone guys to save my trades for cash development.

I'm also going to try to focus on getting the best in each position, whilst trying to also keep an eye on price/value.

I may be going about this completely the wrong way, and wouldn't be surprised if these ideas are flawed.

Cheers for any advice on the best strategy to win a moderately difficult league.

This year I'm going for the league win. I'm not going to make the overall a focus or even a consideration.

- depending on league strength, there is less impact from absolutely bombing one of the byes rounds

But the focus is on team strength at the end of the year (if your league isn't crazy strong, which mine isn't). What are some strategies for this?

I am going to try to structure my initial team around cash generating rookies, potentially at the expense of early point scoring. Im not sure exactly how this will look though.

I'm also trying to go a bit low risk on injury-prone guys to save my trades for cash development.

I'm also going to try to focus on getting the best in each position, whilst trying to also keep an eye on price/value.

I may be going about this completely the wrong way, and wouldn't be surprised if these ideas are flawed.

Cheers for any advice on the best strategy to win a moderately difficult league.
Your initial team should be focused as much as possible towards cash generation regardless, however if you are going more league orientated this might mean a more clear cut guns n rookies team instead of those risky mid pricers that might pay off but might require you wasting trades on them if they don't come off.

Really the big thing for leagues is having trades left in the bank come finals. Everyone will have a pretty good team come the end of the year, but if you are going into a GF against a guy who is out of trades and you have 2, it can be a pretty massive advantage, especially when you consider how many guys pick up niggles or get rested at that time of year

A mate of mine did this in 2015.
For example, his starting FWD line was Swan and 7 rookies lol
He ended up building an outrageously strong side, but a lot of his premos died at the end of the year and I beat him in the semi courtesy of a Karl Amon 133 via loophole shenanigans.

He ended up building an outrageously strong side, but a lot of his premos died at the end of the year and I beat him in the semi courtesy of a Karl Amon 133 via loophole shenanigans.

So do you think picking all the good rookies (usually not that many anyway) is a good league win strategy?

So do you think picking all the good rookies (usually not that many anyway) is a good league win strategy?
Cash generation is the key.
Pick 20+ game premos to start with and avoid mid pricers if you aren't worried about rank.

He got me over the line too that year it was glorious.

I agree, if I was to go a leagues only strategy I'd pick premos on the cheap and heaps of good rookies with great cash earning potential.

I'd also bring in cover on all lines and like other posters have said, hit the finals with trades in hand so i'd look for the most durable players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back