Stringer; is he performing to the expectations of the media and public ?

Remove this Banner Ad

******* a 17-year old whilst his wife was pregnant with his son? I understand wanting to turn a blind eye to the guy on your team, but that's next level denial.

Honesty - as football fans - who cares.

I’d we turn footy into a judgment exercise on personal relationships we’d be hating on 50% on the playing population.

I swear he looked really fit and lean a few months ago but looks as though he’s put on a bunch of weight since then? Any Bombers fan can attest to this or were my eyes deceiving me a few months ago?

Not just you. I was surprised how bloated he looked in comparison to training photos .

He moved super slow too. 2017 Jobe could've sprinted past him!

Having said that, he was serviceable last night and it is something to build on. I'm definitely not expecting the world - or even AA - from Jake, but I am sure he can capitalise on his ability to some decent degree.

I swear he looked really fit and lean a few months ago but looks as though he’s put on a bunch of weight since then? Any Bombers fan can attest to this or were my eyes deceiving me a few months ago?
Eating lollies on the way home from school will do that.

he laid a pretty sick tackle on Franklin in that game vs Syd in 2015 towards the end.

He seems to only want to do things when things become critical.
Yeah despite getting bagged for his 2016 grand final performance his last quarter was quite good really, particularly his defensive effort.

Same with his prelim - didn’t hit the scoreboard but had some important touches. When the pressure is right on he can do some of the disciplined stuff even though he didn’t do much offensively.

Problem is that when it’s a regular home and away game his effort can just completely disappear.

Quite concerned for him, to be honest. He doesn't look like a fella whose life is heading in the right direction, despite the trade. Whatever you think of the man personally, his kids deserve a father.
Luckily he sees his kids then hey

Quite a hilarious thread

Honestly - as a football fan - I care.

I enjoy highlighting character flaws in opposition players (while neglecting my own players misdemeanours). Judging others makes me feel better about my life.

VFL footy is the destination for the package. Of all the things that led to the Bombers having a win, he did none of them. Fair play to Tippa, Hurley, Heppell and Hooker, but the package should be returned to sender. The only redeeming feature is that it is R1.
Bit like how WAFL footy is the destination for Bennel.

It’s round one mate, pull your head in.

I’d we turn footy into a judgment exercise on personal relationships we’d be hating on 50% on the playing population.
Exactly. Enjoy the players for their ability to play the game, rather than what they do behind closed doors unless it’s abdolutely horrendous.

"So what if Stringer does go there? They’re recruiting him as a midfielder. They still don’t get it. They think he’ll turn into Dusty just because they’re Essendon. But they’ll Jobe him."

13 October 2017

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think what this thread highlights and by that I am referring to the Doggies and Bombers view on Stringer, shows that each club had difference expectations, the Doggies were hoping to see a continuation of his 2015 form wheres last night he pretty much did what Essendon would have wanted minus his lack of goals although he did have a few shots.

He's a bloody interesting player. Build like a tank now but has a burst of lighting speed which is super unique for a forward.

Once we have orazio back it'll be a fugin tough fwd line.

People forget how good he was in 2015. 50 goals, AA and #10 on Robbie's top 50 (I know, Robbo, but surely he was in everyone's top 30).

Gone to s**t since then but Essendon didn't pay much for him and he might come good.

At least he's had that horrible man bun removed!
The piker was the most undeserving AA in memory.

Although Selwood last year goes close.

I know this will come across as a cheap shot, but an Essendon supporter saying "honestly, who cares what goes on off-field?" is hilarious and proves you've learnt nothing.

Off-field professionalism and character is a VERY influential factor in winning premierships these days.

What were people expecting? Him to dominate week in week out?

He’s the very definition of a streaky player, nothing has changed and it never will. You take the good with the bad with Stringer.

Never rated him but when he's on, he's on. Sometimes you just need that excitement/x-factor in your team. Players like that are never, ever going to be consistent imo. I think Cyril Rioli is the best player for x-factor but he has PLENTY of games where he doesn't have a big impact, and yet I still think he's been one of the most important Hawks of the modern era because he can put two goals in the space of a minute and turn a game on it's head. Very dangerous, but in the right situation

I think every team has one and they get maligned for it but the game really would be worse off without the "arsey" small forward

No doubt he is very talented, he could be one of the best players in the league. And that talent means he can do things others can't.

What I don't get is that we heard he cut short a holiday to start training, hasn't missed a session, why does he look so heavy? His team mates who did the same sessions are quite lean (Bombers team is generally quite lean and agile), he looks like he has been doing the same sort of training as Hurley which makes no sense if he is meant to be playing half forward/mid.
Plays like he believes this and more. Does something flashy and then goes walkabout. He seems to be the kind of guy who constantly goes for 'speccies' on his teammates backs during kick-to-kick.

I know this will come across as a cheap shot, but an Essendon supporter saying "honestly, who cares what goes on off-field?" is hilarious and proves you've learnt nothing.

Off-field professionalism and character is a VERY influential factor in winning premierships these days.

We’re talking about a players marriage problems. Same with multiple players in every single club. Get your hand off it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back