Coach Stuart Dew - Where is the scrutiny?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think these days it is a good thing fat shame fat bastards.

Does Sewie have a good coaching group around him? I think he is a good coach, inconsistency perplexes young teams, but there needs to be be an upward curve. They are still a year or 2 from finals.

Someone has to say it ..

A coach who is 30 kilograms overweight doesn’t exactly inspire discipline and sacrifice to his players.

#nochipsforstewie

Sadly as a Cat fan, the sight of that inflated #31 booting goals and running around like a dynamo in 2008 will never leave my memory. He may be a unique athlete to have that power and athleticism in a body more suited to being a super heavyweight power lifter.

Maybe he's just having some sort of bad karma for his successful playing career with flags, like failed former Hawk coaches Knights, the late Ken Judge and Gary Buckenara. All of whom actually coached interstate sides too.

The average age of the Lions last night was 26, the Suns 23.

Hmmm what Dew is doing with the side is working, they compete and pressure and generally work hard most games now (which is a big improvement for them) and they seem to have a plan and a structure.

But it is taking quite a long time and it is not like they are short on talent.

2018-19 they were still falling apart in Winter with prolonged bouts of spoon form, but things have tidied up a little bit since Covid. Increased expectations regardless of injuries. Able to avoid slumps. Not nearly enough progress yet though, they’ll probably finish 14th again.

Talking about Dews weight sending the wrong message is garbage. Do you think any one does not listen to Hardwick when he talks about commitment?
I reckon if he walked around telling players to watch what they eat, the players would ask stewie to stop watching what they are eating with his tongue slapping his lips.

He would have been close to a hundred kgs when he finished playing, he is way more than 20kgs heavier than that. To put a real number on it. He'd be 140. My house mate is 6 foot 126kg, with similar proportions, barely hanging over his belt, let alone a keg like Dew.
He wouldn’t be close to 140kg.
if he was he would be way bigger.
115-120kg

Farrar, Flanders and Rosas are teenagers from last night. Rowell and Hollands didn't play but are obviously highly rated.

King, Lukiosus, Graham and Anderson 20 year olds. Budarick out injured.

Rankine, Ballard, Powell 21 year olds.

Corbett, Markov and Burgess are 25 years old but have 74 AFL games between the 3 of them.

That's a hard list to win games consistently with against a seasoned top 4 side. Youthful talent, but still youthful.

The deciding factor in the success of Dew will be whether Bowes, Weller, Collins, Ellis, Miller and Ainsworth (question marks on Brodie) can be a better senior crop than the previous crops, or if they even stick around (ala Prestia, Dixon, May, Lynch, Caddy).

Player retention for seniors will be the deciding factor. If there is another crop of high draft picks in 2-3 years because Ainsworth, Lukiosus etc have left the joint, they'll start all over again.

Since posting this, Dew has won 2 games. For mine that means the Suns have already over-achieved and he'll be safe to serve out his contract. He's already won too many games now to be as bad as Mark Neeld but he's still on track to be a longer-serving version of Leppitsch or Primus.

Suns only have 3-4 possible wins remaining this season unless they can spring a major surprise.

If they win four more games this season Dew will have a win percentage of 20.7% from 85 games coached.

This would lag behind Brendon Bolton who got 82 games at 25.61%, Guy McKenna 88 games at 27.27% and the late Dean Bailey 83 games at 27.7%.

So basically if Dew overperforms from here he can reach the level of Bolton, McKenna and Bailey.

He would have coached double the number of games of Matthew Primus (better win percentage), Tim Watson (better), Just Leppitsch (equivalent) and Peter Rhode (equivalent).

If the Suns underperform (3 wins or less from here) and keep Dew into 2022, he'll give Mark Neeld a real shake, from triple the number of games coached. Neeld who is basically peerless as the worst performed coach in the AFL era with the exception of late-stages Fitzroy coaches like Quinlan and McConnell.

He's building the least impressive resume of any AFL coach other than Neeld since Fitzroy and no matter what documentaries, press conferences or media fluffing he receives, I just don't think he or his club have got what it takes to turn it around in this partnership they've seemingly doubled down on.

Someone has to say it ..

A coach who is 30 kilograms overweight doesn’t exactly inspire discipline and sacrifice to his players.

#nochipsforstewie
yes a coach who is overweight is the reason why an entire club has failed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wouldn’t be close to 140kg.
if he was he would be way bigger.
115-120kg
Seen him in the flesh on the ground a few weeks back and he was an absolute unit. Looked bigger in person than on TV. With him being 6 foot as well then I would not be surprised if he was closer to the other estimate.

I would be thinking 125-130 but would not be shocked if higher.

Maybe there's something to the elephant in the room that must be addressed?
1621154173746.png

No, no, not that one. The other one.

This is an elite, professional league.
And that repeatedly injecting talented 18 year old males to attempt to build a competitive team that is based in the countries biggest party town may just be a mite challenging?
Doubly so when players who actually want a professional career go elsewhere to achieve it. (When they realise they won't get one where they are one presumes).

Suns aren't the only Gold Coast based outfit who have struggled to become a regular force against elite, professional outfits from elsewhere in the country.

The answer? Dunno. You'd think a repeat of priority picks and drafting the most talented 18 year olds in the country will just repeat the same pattern.
Maybe let them pick over the All Australian XXII and have the AFL open the "ambassador" books to facilitate might work better?

Seen him in the flesh on the ground a few weeks back and he was an absolute unit. Looked bigger in person than on TV. With him being 6 foot as well then I would not be surprised if he was closer to the other estimate.

I would be thinking 125-130 but would not be shocked if higher.
He is definitely closer to 140 than 120. I was shocked watching a bit of his press conference at his big he is.

I think the obese volunteer is setting a terrible example and should be banished from all footy clubs immediately

Who cares if Dew Overweight, that's got nothing to do with his coaching methods. Gold Coast will rise in 2022, Ben King is already producing the goods. Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson will become stars. They'll make finals in 2023 and stay in the 8 for the rest of the decade.

Bill Belichick isn't a great athlete, seems to go ok coaching.

Dewy loves a feed but he did that 24hr bike ride with Rowell. Probably can still lace a ball 50m off a step too.

Disappointing loss on the weekend but it was the week before that was the one that would really hurt them I think. Should've put the Saints away and moved to 4-4. Even after copping a beating from the Lions they'd be 4-5 and right with the other sides on the fringes of the 8. The aim this year should be to get within distance of the 8.

Ideally with win totals but also with percentage. Finish the year at 90% and they can say they only have to improve 10% or so to play finals the next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back