Coach Stuart Dew - Where is the scrutiny?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dew has been excellent for the club. The players are happier since he's been there and the player retention would back that up. The kids are all signing up beyond their rookie deals these days and there is a buy in from the players.

However as has been stated you can't ignore how young they are still. People are sick of that excuse for the Suns but it's still the fact. I'd say Dew has this year as red before he's in trouble. Next year with no on field progression then he'll be in strife, but this season I think so far the players have shown there's still buy in on the field. Being so young they'll have hiccup games like on the weekend where they don't show up.

If he can get GC to win a few games later in the year, it will be an improvement.

They have some ridiculous record where like 90% of the games they've won have been in the first 5 rounds.

Well GC is onto their 3rd coach I believe (Eade and McKenna) and all coaches have had poor results so far. Maybe it isn't the coach, much like Carlton. Changing the coach may not achieve anything. Instead they need to look at instilling a willing mentality at the club. How? Who knows

3 coaches in 11 seasons isn’t very many for a side which has never got near finals.

I think they just need to stay the course for a while longer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dew has been excellent for the club. The players are happier since he's been there and the player retention would back that up. The kids are all signing up beyond their rookie deals these days and there is a buy in from the players.

However as has been stated you can't ignore how young they are still. People are sick of that excuse for the Suns but it's still the fact. I'd say Dew has this year as red before he's in trouble. Next year with no on field progression then he'll be in strife, but this season I think so far the players have shown there's still buy in on the field. Being so young they'll have hiccup games like on the weekend where they don't show up.

I agree with most of that. He has until next year but there should be scrutiny. The risk they run that regardless of contracts without some progression next year some will start to leave if they don't beleive he is the right man.

Tough to say. Agree they've been very disappointing at times this season (Brisbane, WB first half, letting the St Kilda game slip). I do wonder though how they'd be going if Witts and Rowell were fit. Yes other clubs have had injuries but those are their two most important players, that has to hurt. Rowell was showing signs of being a true freak who basically would show the club the way, and Witts is their best ruck + captain. I think Dew's gameplan makes sense (though am somewhat skeptical of its effectiveness on a very dewy (haha) surface, especially at night) and he does seem to have the support of the players which wasn't the case with Eade.

More worried that it seems as if a few of their kids have stagnated to some extent. I'd be trying very hard to get either a properly elite mid or a "been there done that" veteran in the mold of what Hodge did with Brisbane this off-season.

The rot starts from the top ... Cochrane needs to start being held accountable for the management of the club.

No club in world sport has been breastfed and looked after so much and delivered so little.

Maybe Dew has been breastfed too much...okay I'm going to stop now.

3 coaches in 11 seasons isn’t very many for a side which has never got near finals.

I think they just need to stay the course for a while longer.

Back on topic...I don't think there is any franchise/team that have succeeded from the multiple of sports that based themselves on the Gold Coast...fortunately for Dew this won't be an issue at least financially.
I'm all for backing him in and having him develop as a coach whilst his players develop along side him.
They've tried the experience coach route already with Rodney Eade which was a bust.

Led the Eagles in Perth into the 4th qtr.
Dropped close games against Adelaide when they were up and about early, followed by 2 disappointing close losses to Carlton & St Kilda. Beaten Sydney, Collingwood and North.
The list is young and developing but I feel the issue is the game plan.
This chip, mark, stop, chip, mark, stop tactic this year is confusing. We lead the comp in kicks, we are 2nd in marks. We are 17th in handballs. There is very little quick ball movement and no spread.
Teams with good midfielders are ripping us apart. This slow ball movement enables teams to get back and god forbid being a forward at present. The small forwards are starved of the quick ball movement in which helps them crumb.
Last year we were leading Richmond, Geelong and other good teams late in games. This year we are simply not competitive against top teams.
Bulldogs 10 goals to 0 first half. Lions 15 goals unanswered. That’s simply unacceptable.
I feel he can be the bloke to take us forward but he appears to be stubborn and refuse to accept mistakes. Lyons was one but to this day he refuses to acknowledge it. Either he changes things up or he’ll be looking for a new job.
Their is internal scrutiny on him trust me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back