Strategy Sub Strategy 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s been a lot of talk on Fish and whether he’s going to play on for 2023. If he does come back and his form has improved, just a thought, maybe a good candidate for being a Sub for several games in a row?

He has versatility and can play both in attack or defense. His height may also perhaps allow him to pinch hit as a part-ruck, if there is an injury to our ruckman. Yay or nay?
VAFA or VFL?

Can we protest the rule and just not do it?

This is stupid.
That's the AFL, kneejerk reactions not thought through properly but the guys making these calls are on half a mill/year!

Medi sub was just rorted without consequence. Should have gone to five on the bench and tough luck if you get injuries. Five is heaps.

Instead we get another half way rule - effing VFL!!

There’s been a lot of talk on Fish and whether he’s going to play on for 2023. If he does come back and his form has improved, just a thought, maybe a good candidate for being a Sub for several games in a row?

He has versatility and can play both in attack or defense. His height may also perhaps allow him to pinch hit as a part-ruck, if there is an injury to our ruckman. Yay or nay?
So have a sub who isn't even SANFL standard?

So have a sub who isn't even SANFL standard?
He might not be killing it at SANFL, but to suggest he isn’t SANFL standard is a bit of an exaggeration perhaps?

Remember also that the Sub might not even be utilised (ie. minimal to no game time), and depending on injuries or whether the players are sticking to their task. So with possible low game time, would you prefer a young gun to play a full SANFL game or a possible 1-2 AFL quarters, being the Sub?

Nay.

Let him do what he needs to do without even thinking of football.

He might not be killing it at SANFL, but to suggest he isn’t SANFL standard is a bit of an exaggeration perhaps?

Remember also that the Sub might not even be utilised (ie. minimal to no game time), and depending on injuries or whether the players are sticking to their task. So with possible low game time, would you prefer a young gun to play a full SANFL game or a possible 1-2 AFL quarters, being the Sub?
Maybe we need to be as clever as Port with the use of the sub.

While I like the idea of Sloane being the sub for us I would prefer it to be a strong utility player - maybe its Hateleys spot?

But if Sloane starts , at some time we need to spin him off the pine to the sub bench

Sloane is really the best option for it. Already started to look cooked + knee reco + can still offer some leadership/experience when need be.

That being said, I’d rather a kid that has earned a chance get half a game in the 1s than another in the 2s. Just relies on the coaches pulling the trigger and giving the kid a decent enough crack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Himmelberg would be a good option also.

I figure 90% of the time the sub will be a small and I reckon 60% of the time if there isn't an injury it'll be for a tall player coming off.

I figure 90% of the time the sub will be a small and I reckon 60% of the time if there isn't an injury it'll be for a tall player coming off.
I think it’s interesting to see what the ratio of small to big players are picked as sub. I plan to follow the sub exchanges per week and record it to see which patterns work or otherwise, throughout this year.

The sub being dressed ready to go is probably the minimum I'd be hoping for from the club.
That was just about the lowest point, on-field, the club has had I reckon.

A good opportunity to rotate the midfielders through that role - Taylor, Pedlar, Schoenberg, Soligo, Brown and even Sloane, Keays and Laird.

Not to be used to give a player a ‘rest’ and don’t keep using the same player.

Sloane every week. End thread

Bingo. Developing players can get a full game in the firsts or ressies. New players shouldn't be used as a sub. Also stops Sloane being a whiney cnt if he is only played in the ressies too.

Nah, it's a running game. The extra player is for some fresh legs in the midfield rotation.

I was thinking this. But I reckon it could be good for Tex also. Bring him on for second half domination (only when he is getting close to needing a rest). Maybe Smith also?

It can take time to work your way into the game as a forward and build cohesion. I would rather he played the full game.

Bingo. Developing players can get a full game in the firsts or ressies. New players shouldn't be used as a sub. Also stops Sloane being a whiney cnt if he is only played in the ressies too.

Nah, it's a running game. The extra player is for some fresh legs in the midfield rotation.

It can take time to work your way into the game as a forward and build cohesion. I would rather he played the full game.
I agree in a way. But would you rather he has a complete rest (week off) or plays half a game?

I agree in a way. But would you rather he has a complete rest (week off) or plays half a game?

I think the sports scientist would say have the complete week off. Body doesn’t have to go through the start up and wind down process which is a chunk of the work. Notice in the NBA they regularly rest players for full games - even though they rarely use their full bench and could keep a guy there and just run him for a quarter of the game was in the balance. I assume this is that they don’t get a true rest if they have to warm up to play

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Using the Sub depends on whether we view him as insurance for an injury or strategic and part of a game plan.
If defensively used, a utility type is sensible. If strategic, a particular trait is selected and inserted into the game working to a plan.

I'll stick my neck out with a couple of selections.

If defensive in nature, EH gets the nod to cover any talls who get hurt. This allows also for a four man bench of smalls.

If strategic, (depends a lot on the oppo) Newchurch coming on at half time replacing McAdam. If McAdam can run his defender around like crazy in the first half, the speed of a fresh Newchurch might be Charlie Cameron refreshing in the second half.

Shoot straight guys. Easy target presented 😜

Using the Sub depends on whether we view him as insurance for an injury or strategic and part of a game plan.
If defensively used, a utility type is sensible. If strategic, a particular trait is selected and inserted into the game working to a plan.

I'll stick my neck out with a couple of selections.

If defensive in nature, EH gets the nod to cover any talls who get hurt. This allows also for a four man bench of smalls.

If strategic, (depends a lot on the oppo) Newchurch coming on at half time replacing McAdam. If McAdam can run his defender around like crazy in the first half, the speed of a fresh Newchurch might be Charlie Cameron refreshing in the second half.

Shoot straight guys. Easy target presented 😜
Have a funny feeling McAdam will burn himself out first

So after a pre-season and a couple of unofficial scratchy's, are we any closer in determining whether we'll use the sub as a 23rd player to be inserted strategically? Or simply as injury cover.

Do you think contending teams will use the sub differently to developing teams?

Bumping this thread. I plan to compile every round of sub exchange, in what quarter and for what reasons (ie. medical vs tactical).

Any help from members here would be appreciated. So far this is what I’ve remembered:

Round 1 (GWS) -
Round 2 (Tigers) -
Round 3 (Port) -
Round 4 (Freo) -
Round 5 (Blues) -
Round 6 (Hawks) -
Round 7 (Pies) - Schoenberg (sub) for Soligo (4th quarter, tactical)
Round 8 (Cats) - Crouch (sub) for Murray (3rd quarter, concussion)

I get the feeling our strategy is to rotate the list for each round.

Bumping this thread. I plan to compile every round of sub exchange, in what quarter and for what reasons (ie. medical vs tactical).

Any help from members here would be appreciated. So far this is what I’ve remembered:

Round 1 (GWS) -
Round 2 (Tigers) -
Round 3 (Port) -
Round 4 (Freo) -
Round 5 (Blues) -
Round 6 (Hawks) -
Round 7 (Pies) - Schoenberg (sub) for Soligo (4th quarter, tactical)
Round 8 (Cats) - Crouch (sub) for Murray (3rd quarter, concussion)

I get the feeling our strategy is to rotate the list for each round.
Update rd 7 to Tactical Error

Round 1 - Murray off, Tyler Brown on
Round 2 - Parnell off (concussion), Thilthorpe on
Round 3 - Berry off, Jones on
Round 4 - Butts off, Schoenberg on
Round 5 - Soligo off, McHenry on
Round 6 - Butts off, McHenry on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back