Strategy Sub Strategy 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Being a Sub is, quoting Gump, “like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re gonna get”. In one game, a Sub might not even be needed. Or usually, a sub may have very minimal game time with a late injury to a player. Then on the other hand, an early injury may occur to a player, in which case the Sub’s early inclusion in the match makes that Sub just as important as any other player on the ground.

For 2023 and still in our relative middle-ground on a rebuilding phase, how should the Crows go about in utilising the Sub rule? Should we pick only a select few throughout the year? A different player each week? A random selection of any fit player who picks the ace of hearts out of a deck of cards?

Sloane every week. End thread
Shouldn't use the same player in consecutive weeks imo... unless they are used for most of the game due to an injury.

If used properly, we can manage players we are looking to partially rest to freshen up.

Being a Sub is, quoting Gump, “like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re gonna get”. In one game, a Sub might not even be needed. Or usually, a sub may have very minimal game time with a late injury to a player. Then on the other hand, an early injury may occur to a player, in which case the Sub’s early inclusion in the match makes that Sub just as important as any other player on the ground.

For 2023 and still in our relative middle-ground on a rebuilding phase, how should the Crows go about in utilising the Sub rule? Should we pick only a select few throughout the year? A different player each week? A random selection of any fit player who picks the ace of hearts out of a deck of cards?

it'll be the same as when it was first introduced. It'll be a mid/utility type and will be somebody very close to selection as they'll always play at least the greater part of the final quarter.

Has to be someone you don't want in the 22 but also don't care about developing.

No way the club uses Sloane, so realistically I'd suggest rotating McHenry and Murphy though the role before delisting them at the first opportunity
If not Sloane, then Jones.

Can play pretty much anywhere, not particularly well, but still has some versatility.

Feel they will activate it earlier than when it was 3+1

4+1 allows so much on the bench that if you go early, even if you then cop an injury your not going to be too disadvantaged

I’d imagine most games it is activated by mid 3rd qtr.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4+1 allows so much on the bench that if you go early, even if you then cop an injury your not going to be too disadvantaged

I'd almost be looking at it from a sub off perspective rather than a sub on perspective and do it half time or, as you say mid 3rd quarter.

Something like have Strachan on and doing a lot of the ruck load in the first half, ROB sporadic and then sub Strachan off at half time, ROB runs over the oppo ruckmen in the last half. Who we bring on can just be a utility type etc.

I haven’t been following much footy news in the recent weeks, and didn’t know there was a sub rule change until I read into your post.
So now we have 4 on the bench and can activate the Sub at any time for injury/tactical reasons.

I can see a case for a Sub replacing someone who is a regular and has some niggles who would benefit from 3/4 match-time rather than a full game. Or perhaps someone who is coming back from an injury and would benefit being a Sub to play for 2-3 quarters.

Last edited:
I'd almost be looking at it from a sub off perspective rather than a sub on perspective and do it half time or, as you say mid 3rd quarter.

Something like have Strachan on and doing a lot of the ruck load in the first half, ROB sporadic and then sub Strachan off at half time, ROB runs over the oppo ruckmen in the last half. Who we bring on can just be a utility type etc.
Or might be the other way round. Rob doing the bulldozing job, wears down the opposition ruck for the first half, then swap Strachan (Sub) for the latter half. Might be worth to try both scenarios throughout the year to see which works better?

Or might be the other way round. Rob doing the bulldozing job, wears down the opposition ruck for the first half, then swap Strachan (Sub) for the latter half. Might be worth to try both scenarios throughout the year to see which works better?
It's rare that a ruckman will be the sun as provides little flexibility, but may be that you sub a ruckman out during a game.

There’s been a lot of talk on Fish and whether he’s going to play on for 2023. If he does come back and his form has improved, just a thought, maybe a good candidate for being a Sub for several games in a row?

He has versatility and can play both in attack or defense. His height may also perhaps allow him to pinch hit as a part-ruck, if there is an injury to our ruckman. Yay or nay?

There’s been a lot of talk on Fish and whether he’s going to play on for 2023. If he does come back and his form has improved, just a thought, maybe a good candidate for being a Sub for several games in a row?

He has versatility and can play both in attack or defense. His height may also perhaps allow him to pinch hit as a part-ruck, if there is an injury to our ruckman. Yay or nay?
Nay

No.

We are hardly going to use a player who is not likely to even be at the club.

Need to move on...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back