Game Day 2023 Grand Final - Pies v Lions

Who will win

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

There are always going to be a few contentious calls but for a Collingwood home game the umpiring was good. Couldn’t complain as a Lions fan

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I completely disagree. The Sidebottom 50 was paid by an umpire with no feel for the game. Berry obviously made contact and Sidebottom was smart to easily go to ground. But I’m not paying that late in a grand final. I felt shafted for the lions myself when that was paid

I used to like Richo but now I'd be happy if I never had to hear him commentate again.
Add JB and BT to that pile too.

Apparently there was 1025 in the crowd today and I think they said Carlton kicked a point at one stage.
Calling out players names to me is not commentary that is fit for even a bush league.
Absolute garbage commentary served up today. Abbey Holmes excepted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Overall the umpiring wasn't bad. That advantage call was a shocker though and may have cost Brisbane a flag.
Thinking about the advantage rule and I think it could be fixed simply by instructing umpires to let the play go for 2-3 seconds before either calling it back or simply calling advantage. That is, don’t blow the whistle unless you actually mean to stop play.

The players all play to the whistle and there’s no ridiculous situation where half the players stop and look around while one player races forward with the ball. It also allows the ump to see if it is, in fact, an advantage.

Had he not blown the whistle late on, he could have simply waited a couple of seconds, seen it was not remotely an advantage, and then blown his whistle and called it back.

Honestly, is anything lost by not having an instantaneous whistle blown every time there’s a free?

Thinking about the advantage rule and I think it could be fixed simply by instructing umpires to let the play go for 2-3 seconds before either calling it back or simply calling advantage. That is, don’t blow the whistle unless you actually mean to stop play.

The players all play to the whistle and there’s no ridiculous situation where half the players stop and look around while one player races forward with the ball. It also allows the ump to see if it is, in fact, an advantage.

Had he not blown the whistle late on, he could have simply waited a couple of seconds, seen it was not remotely an advantage, and then blown his whistle and called it back.

Honestly, is anything lost by not having an instantaneous whistle blown every time there’s a free?
Like soccer then? The ref will indicate advantage by holding their arm out and if they think the team didn't get an advantage they call the ball back.

This issue, Jordan, is that the significant, game-deciding errors frequently favour the Victorian or AFL darling clubs.

There are errors and always will be because as he says it's very difficult. However there don't seem to be any steps to detect or eradicate subconscious bias, or to guard against conscious bias.

Agree 100%

Gerard Healy has recommended this when he was host of On The Couch

I umpired some amateur league and you have the advantage of the players being able to hear you, so that was how I did it.

Called out "Advantage, high contact" then would only blow the whistle and bring it back if the ball bounced away or whatever

I was curious about that 'full house' sign that came up when they announced the attendance at 100,024 - I didn't believe it could possibly be exactly full. But I looked it up - that's two more than the attendance in 2018, it's the biggest-ever crowd in the current MCG configuration, and according to Wikipedia 100,024 is precisely the capacity of the ground.

mcg wikipedia.JPG

Most of those who attended the 2017 granny would be in the Wikipedia photo somewhere - lol.

This issue, Jordan, is that the significant, game-deciding errors frequently favour the Victorian or AFL darling clubs.

There are errors and always will be because as he says it's very difficult. However there don't seem to be any steps to detect or eradicate subconscious bias, or to guard against conscious bias.

Why are the umpires always so sensitive to criticism and need to be protected by the media?

Imagine if an AFL player came out and said criticism of players is "disgusting", "these are the best AFL players in the country" "you couldn't play AFL better" and that it's all just "for clicks"

It's an embarrassing sook

Spoken like a true ignorant Victorian Jordan.

Gutless is exactly the word to use here Jordan, the umpire stuffed up and was too gutless to reverse his call.

Back