moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
In Superleague news, after a poor opening game defeat at Hull KR, Wigan have swept back with 96 unanswered points in the last two games, most pleasingly tonight at Castleford, always a difficult and hostile place to travel to, where we were under the cosh for most of the first half, but managed to go in at half-time with a 6 -0 lead, thanks to a very late try and penalty. And then came out in the second half, having worn them down, and put on our plays with our outside backs and ended up winning 0-36. And that's pretty much as good as it gets, isn't it? So pleasing. :D

And if you've ever heard fans complain, the ref should be wearing a home-team jersey, check out this piece of defending:

Worst of it was, we were fearing the worst with the judiciary too. You know what they're like. Luckily, they showed sense this time, and No Further Action on Marshall.

He still ended up getting a hat-trick! :cool:

A great result for Wigan as they beat the much improved Leigh side convincingly away from home, with Bevan French again producing the magic touches. A hamstring injury to the excellent Jai Field will hurt us with the derby against Saints coming up on Good Friday. I watched the game live, but I must have re-watched the highlights four or five times. That's when you are pleased with your team.

The world champions put back in their box in a convincing Good Friday derby win. Reserve loose forward Joe Shorrocks, thrown into five-eighth with the injuries to Jai Field and Cade Cust, did remarkably well in both attack and defence. And in glorious sunshine in front of the biggest crowd (24k) for 18 years! Harry Smith's kicking game again on point.

I just saw the very brief highlights of the Hull derby on the Sky freebie channel. They didn't show any foul play, and I'm as keen to get cannonball tackles out of the game as you are, I'm sure, Aucklander. But I wouldn't think they are common in SL. and HRK did score some cracking tries (although, as I said earlier, based on previous matches, Hull FC are pretty rubbish). I just think it's a shame when a rare post from a Southern hemisphere poster here picks on a negative.

We've had the three tough local derbies in a row: the rapidly improving Leigh side, the World champions St Helens, and the undefeated top of the league Warrington. My prediction was that I'd be grimly happy with one win out of three, but we ended up winning the lot, and convincingly too. Couldn't be prouder of my team.

So tonight Wigan went to top-of-the-table Catalan Dragons in the heat of the South of France, and, against all expectations, nilled them in a dominant 0-34 victory. the Catalans pack were dominated from the start, and Wigan took full advantage of their chances. Lebanese international Abbas Miski, who you might remember from the World Cup, has gone from unfancied quota player to a big hit, producing three tries, a try-assist, and a wonderful try-saving tackle from a night I'm sure he'll long remember. Wigan have been in the situation all season of having two wonderfully talented full-backs on their books, and how to accommodate both? After a few bumps along the road, we have settled for Jai Field at full-back, and Bevan French at 6. French has had his critics amongst Wigan fans, but my money he has got better game by game, and produced a great performance today; he always carries a tremendous threat with his footwork and running game, but he can pick a pass, and his kicking game is also coming on a treat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And after a comfortable home win over a very decent Salford side, who threw a fair amount at us, Wigan are now top of the table. :) Bevan French has come on so well in the halves, with the top stats for both try assists and tackle busts so far this season. plus 16 tries and counting. That's a very decent return for any half, I'd say. Also, Salford were awarded a dubious penalty on the stroke of half-time, in their own half. They kicked for touch, and then launching a bomb into the Wigan goal-mouth, Wigan full-back Jai Field caught it, ran through the defence, and planted it under the posts at the other end. Worth the price of admission.

Convincing win over Castleford tonight. In our last six games, we have conceded 32 points, and scored 235. Our two halves at top and third for try assists, and after Abbas Miski's 5-try haul tonight, I think we have the leading try-scorer too. All that, and this lovely touch, too.

A tense night tonight in the final round of the regular season, which was effectively the Finals starting early, with Wigan, Saints, and Catalans all in with a chance of winning the league leader's Shield (Minor Premiership), and the top two securing a home play-off, and the week off, meaning they were only 80 mins away from Old Trafford. But Wigan were in pole position, top of the league, so any win, and they were in. We led a determined Leigh 10-6 at half-time, and after an attritional second half, in which both teams had scores disallowed for obstruction, we kept them scoreless to get over the line. Saints are now third, and face Warrington.

So Wigan will take on Hull KR in the semi-final, at home next weekend, whilst Saints and Catalans will fight it out in France. Which obviously suits Wigan fans fine. But HKR are no mugs, as their convincing won over Leigh last week showed. Coach Willie Peters (himself an ex-Wiganer, of course) has done a fine job there.

So now, like the NRL GF, the result is, quite rightly, 1st v 2nd. Wigan and Cats have been the best two sides over the course of the regular season; Cats led for much of it, but starting with that massive 0-34 defeat of Catalans in France, Wigan bested them for points difference at the finish. And in an ugly (and not particularly high-quality, despite what the gushing critics said on TV) contest, Cats just about got the better of Saints. They were the better side, and a bit of quality from Sam Tomkins won it in the end. Unfortunately, Hull KR just didn't really turn up. Wigan blitzed them with three quick tries in the first ten minutes, and repeated the trick in the first ten minutes of the second half. I am confident; our backs have a great strike record, we have more than one player who can just create a try out of nothing, and crucially, our pack is better than it's been in long time, giving our halves room to play, and they have been good enough to take advantage.

Only the usual ticketing shambles to overcome now! The RFL really is useless!

I think it will be close; Catalans are a good side, led the league for much of the year. They certainly had a tougher ride in the semi than Wigan did, though.

We did score some cracking tries, though! :D

I especially liked the Cooper Cronk-style cross-kick, on the button.

And Brad Schneider is going to Penrith? He had a complete 'mare: kicked out on the full on re-starts, twice, was stepped by a prop to slip in a try-assist, dropped the ball several times, missed tackles, etc. Not the time to choose for an off-day. To be fair, he'd been very good this season, and the HKR fans loved him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back