NRL NRL 2024 - Round 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Tipping!

Thursday 21st March
Penrith vs Brisbane (BlueBet Stadium - 20:00)

Friday 22nd March
New Zealand vs Canberra (Apollo Projects Stadium, Christchurch - 18:00)
Sydney Roosters vs South Sydney (Allianz Stadium - 20:00)

Saturday 23rd March
Canterbury-Bankstown vs Gold Coast (Belmore Sports Ground - 15:00)
St.George-Illawarra vs North Queensland (Netstrata Jubilee Stadium - 17:30)
Wests Tigers vs Cronulla-Sutherland (Leichhardt Oval - 19:35)

Sunday 24th March
Parramattavs vs Manly-Warringah (CommBank Stadium - 16:05)
Newcastle vs Melbourne (McDonald Jones Stadium - 18:15)

Bye:
Dolphins

Panthers: Prop James Fisher-Harris (shoulder) is out of action with Lindsay Smith named to partner Moses Leota in the front row. After being called up to the bench in a late change last Friday, Daine Laurie has been named at No.14 with Soni Luke listed as 18th man. Forward Matt Eisenhuth is the new face on the bench.
Broncos: The loss of skipper Adam Reynolds to a knee injury brings Jock Madden into the side in the only change from Round 2. Madden's last game in the top grade was Round 27 last year when Reynolds was nursing a slight calf injury and resting up ahead of the finals. Forward leader Payne Haas has been ruled out on Wednesday due to ongoing knee problems so Fletcher Baker is set to start and Xavier Willison joins the bench.

Warriors: After withdrawing from the squad 24 hours out from kick-off last week due to an elbow injury suffered in Round 1, hooker Wayde Egan will attempt to go again after being named to start. Chanel Harris-Tavita is included in the wider squad as bench hooker cover should Egan be ruled out. Still no sign of injured duo Marata Niukore (foot) and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad (hamstring).
Raiders: Captain Elliott Whitehead returns from a lay-off with a groin injury, which bumps Zac Hosking back to the bench and Ata Mariota out of the 17. The loss of Seb Kris to concussion means Nick Cotric earns a recall after missing out on a spot in Round 2. He’ll line up on the wing with Albert Hopoate shifting to centre.

Roosters: Luke Keary (concussion) is out with 21-year-old Sandon Smith named to play alongside Sam Walker in the halves. Siua Wong has dropped down to the reserves with Nat Butcher joining the starting side and Kangaroos forward Angus Crichton set to play his first NRL game of the year off the bench. Utility Connor Watson makes his long-awaited return, lining up in jersey No.14 for his first NRL game since the 2022 qualifying final. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves will run out for his 300th NRL match after debuting at Manly in 2009.
Rabbitohs: Mass changes for Jason Demetriou with last year’s NSW Cup player of the year Dean Hawkins named at No.7 and Lachlan Ilias dropped to the reserves. Former Raider Jack Wighton returns from suspension to partner Isaiah Tass in the centres with Richie Kennar dropping out of the side. Prop Davvy Moale has been named in the starting side with Sean Keppie reverting to the bench. Jacob Host is the new face on an edge while Shaquai Mitchell is named in the reserves after starting against the Broncos in Round 2.

Bulldogs: Just the one change for Cameron Ciraldo with Liam Knight coming in at prop for Poasa Faamausili, who suffered a concussion against the Sharks. Josh Addo-Carr remains sidelined as he continues to recover from a shoulder injury.
Titans: Kieran Foran returns to the halves to make his first appearance for the season alongside halfback Tanah Boyd so Tom Weaver goes to the reserves. Jaimin Jolliffe has been named to start at lock with Isaac Liu shifting to the bench in the only other change to the side that went down to the Dragons in Round 1. Jayden Campbell (knee) and David Fifita (pec) remain sidelined.

Dragons: Jack de Belin moves to prop for the suspended Francis Molo with Luciano Leilua promoted to the starting side. Jesse Marschke makes his NRL debut at hooker in place of Jacob Liddle (concussion). Viliame Fifita joins the bench after being 18th man last week. Hame Sele remains sidelined with a hamstring injury but should be in the frame for selection in Round 4.
Cowboys: Back-rower Heilum Luki is set to miss six weeks with an ankle injury so Kulikefu Finefeuiaki joins the starting side and Jack Gosiewski is the new face on the bench. Tom Chester is listed as 18th man after Thomas Mikaele filled that role last week.

Wests Tigers: Justin Olam is good to go after recovering from a knee injury. He joins last week's debutant Solomona Faataape in the centres with Starford To'a set to miss eight weeks after undergoing ankle injury. Veteran playmaker Aidan Sezer has been promoted to start the game at No.7 with Jayden Sullivan shifted to the bench. Fonua Pole is named to start at lock with Alex Seyfarth moving to the interchange.
Sharks: Briton Nikora's suspension sees Jack Williams move into the starting side. Royce Hunt returns after missing last week's game due to a virus and joins the bench. Billy Burns comes onto the interchange for Tuku Hau Tapuha and is set to make his club debut.

Eels: Morgan Harper moves to the wing to cover for Bailey Simonsson (head knock) with Blaize Talagi coming into the centres for his NRL debut. Luca Moretti has been promoted to the bench with Brendan Hands dropping to the reserves. Kelma Tuilagi has been named on the bench despite suffering a shoulder injury against the Panthers. Reagan Campbell-Gillard will make his 200th NRL appearance,
Sea Eagles: Tommy Talau is listed among the reserves after suffering an ankle injury against the Roosters with Raymond Tuaimalo Vaega named to start. That is the only change to the side that downed the Roosters on Sunday. Josh Schuster looks set to again line up in NSW Cup.

Knights: Former Panther Jack Cogger is the new halfback with Jackson Hastings going to the reserves list. Co-captain Jayden Brailey has recovered from a hamstring injury and will come from the bench in his first game of the season. Enari Tuala returns from a quad injury on the wing to fill the void left by Greg Marzhew, who is set to undergo surgery on a fractured scaphoid and will be sidelined for 4-6 weeks.
Storm: With Jahrome Hughes suspended, Tyran Wishart moves from the bench to halfback and Kane Bradley joins the interchange. With Cameron Munster still sidelined due to a groin injury, Jonah Pezet is again the No.6. Prop Christian Welch is also sidelined after failing a HIA last week so Tepai Moeroa joins the bench.

Last edited:

I know the fans in the big afl rivalries do still hate each other and the players do TRY and carry that passion onto the field but this does seem to be the last onfield rivalry in Australia that still holds that genuine hatred between the two sets of players

Sin bin Sunday, that game where Mitchell broke Manu’s face would have just turned into an all out debacle if it weren’t for the one punch rule etc etc.

Hopefully we play close to the edge without being too stupid

I know the fans in the big afl rivalries do still hate each other and the players do TRY and carry that passion onto the field but this does seem to be the last onfield rivalry in Australia that still holds that genuine hatred between the two sets of players

Sin bin Sunday, that game where Mitchell broke Manu’s face would have just turned into an all out debacle if it weren’t for the one punch rule etc etc.

Hopefully we play close to the edge without being too stupid

They call themsleves the pride of the league. When they are anything but.

Poor Latrell and Souffs are always the victims in there own eyes. There going down in a sinking ship and there too dumb realise the toxic problem is staring them right in the face. By pandering to everything he does.

Who would have thought Sam Burgess of all people was right 6 months ago about the double standards and accountability going on in the place.

Roosters to win by 20+ and send Demetriou coaching career closer to grave.

They call themsleves the pride of the league. When they are anything but.

Poor Latrell and Souffs are always the victims in there own eyes. There going down in a sinking ship and there too dumb realise the toxic problem is staring them right in the face. By pandering to everything he does.

Who would have thought Sam Burgess of all people was right 6 months ago about the double standards and accountability going on in the place.

Roosters to win by 20+ and send Demetriou coaching career closer to grave.

We need another back to back run of titles to go closer to knocking them off at the top of the premiership tree. St George sure as hell aren’t getting there any time soon

Yeah the NRL is lacking in some real old school hatred.

The Penrith/Parra one should be so strong but it's terrible.
It's getting there and bigger then what it was 5 years ago.

With a GF and a couple of semi finals games. The 2021 semi final which started the 3-peat still leaves a sour taste parra were dudded that night by some decisions.

On top of some classic regular season games in the past 5 years from Cleary past 2 games at commbank where he was being sent off in 2022 then his 2 point FG to send it too extra time last year. And some bell-ringer games out at Penrith which parra have won.

The rivalry has never been stronger.

As a parra fan we always saw Penrith as the little brother feral dipshits out further west.

We had bigger rivalries with more history with the Dogs and Manly. So Penrith were a pimple for us.

Penrith saw us as a bigger rival especially as a lot of parra fans live in Penrith.

Unfortunately they have sorted themselves out as a powerhouse and gone past us while we keep fumbling around being close enough but not quite good enough.

We need another back to back run of titles to go closer to knocking them off at the top of the premiership tree. St George sure as hell aren’t getting there any time soon
With the merger I think the Dragons have stopped counting them.

Even so it's irrelevant the Dragons won't be getting to a GF anytime soon let alone a premiership.

It's getting harder for these s**t teams to get off the bottom then it ever has in my lifetime anyway since the early 2000s.

It's getting there and bigger then what it was 5 years ago.

With a GF and a couple of semi finals games. The 2021 semi final which started the 3-peat still leaves a sour taste parra were dudded that night by some decisions.

On top of some classic regular season games in the past 5 years from Cleary past 2 games at commbank where he was being sent off in 2022 then his 2 point FG to send it too extra time last year. And some bell-ringer games out at Penrith which parra have won.

The rivalry has never been stronger.

As a parra fan we always saw Penrith as the little brother feral dipshits out further west.

We had bigger rivalries with more history with the Dogs and Manly. So Penrith were a pimple for us.

Penrith saw us as a bigger rival especially as a lot of parra fans live in Penrith.

Unfortunately they have sorted themselves out as a powerhouse and gone past us while we keep fumbling around being close enough but not quite good enough.
On the ground it's been strong but there's no real hatred in the fanbases. I've grown up in Penrith all my life, I'm surrounded by Penrith fans. When they lose to Parra, it's 'oh well'. They beat Parra in a grand final and it's not even their favourite grand final in this span.

If Carlton beat Collingwood in a grand final, I'd spend the next year partying. There's just not that same hatred in the rivalry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the merger I think the Dragons have stopped counting them.

Even so it's irrelevant the Dragons won't be getting to a GF anytime soon let alone a premiership.

It's getting harder for these s**t teams to get off the bottom then it ever has in my lifetime anyway since the early 2000s.

I actually don’t think it is IF they’re prepared to put in the hard work.

The problem is they are so fixated on an instant solution. So are the fans.

They DONT have to go through an AFL style 5-6 year build, all they have to do given that there are no restrictions on signings and player movements, is make 2-3 really smart investments in developments in the right positions, coupled with 2-3 really smart investments in recruitment in the right positions, and any club can challenge with some good guidance.

As Kenty pointed out the other night, the Roosters don’t have juniors beyond three clubs BUT they’ve entered a partnership on the central coast and they’ve built their own academy so people can hang s**t on us as much as they want: we have been spotting and developing rather than just stealing talent for 15 years now.

Look at the Bulldogs. Rather than falling back to what they used to do and investing in what was once such a strong amazing culture, they’re plucking a centre - a CENTRE - from Penrith as their saviour. Crichton as a fantastic player but he’s a fantastic player when he’s outside the best player on the planet. His speciality is plucking intercepts and finishing off movements started by Nathan Cleary. Who is his Nathan Cleary at the bulldogs? They invested in Matt Burton. A decent but not brilliant running lock/five right at Penrith who again profited from playing outside Cleary. He has a great kicking game but everything else is mediocre.
Kikau once more - he wasn’t a Taumalolo ‘come with me’ player. His damage was all done on the back of lead up work and momentum built from others.

I’m not an NRL coach but I will smugly sit here and say that I knew hands down none of those signings were going to lift the Dogs into contention.

And signing Luai isn’t going to help the Tigers: if the Tigers DO improve, it will be off the back of young Bula, Api steering them at dummy half, those guys.

If teams and their fans can have a clear plan I believe any team can go from the bottom to the top 8 at the very least within 3 years.

Last edited:

They DONT have to go through an AFL style 5-6 year build, all they have to do given that there are no restrictions on signings and player movements, is make 2-3 really smart investments in developments in the right positions, coupled with 2-3 really smart investments in recruitment in the right positions, and any club can challenge with some good guidance.

As Kenty pointed out the other night, the Roosters don’t have juniors beyond three clubs BUT they’ve entered a partnership on the central coast and they’ve built their own academy so people can hang s**t on us as much as they want: we have been spotting and developing rather than just stealing talent for 15 years now.

Look at the Bulldogs. Rather than falling back to what they used to do and investing in what was once such a strong amazing culture, they’re plucking a centre - a CENTRE - from Penrith as their saviour. Crichton as a fantastic player but he’s a fantastic player when he’s outside the best player on the planet. His speciality is plucking intercepts and finishing off movements started by Nathan Cleary. Who is his Nathan Cleary at the bulldogs? They invested in Matt Burton. A decent but not brilliant running lock/five right at Penrith who again profited from playing outside Cleary. He has a great kicking game but everything else is mediocre.
Kikau once more - he wasn’t a Taumalolo ‘come with me’ player. His damage was all done on the back of lead up work and momentum built from others.

I’m not an NRL coach but I will smugly sit here and say that I knew hands down none of those signings were going to lift the Dogs into contention.

And signing Luai isn’t going to help the Tigers: if the Tigers DO improve, it will be off the back of young Bula, Api steering them at dummy half, those guys.

If teams and their fans can have a clear plan I believe any team can go from the bottom to the top 8 at the very least within 3 years.
That's proven not to be the case at all.

I did some research around here a while back surrounding Wests, St George, NZ, Gold Coast and Newcastle. Last year was an outlier for two of those clubs but the statistics going back for almost 2 decades made for grim reading. There's no longevity of success for any of those clubs.

In reality, those clubs will never be able to compete with the big clubs that can offer these great TPA's.

On the ground it's been strong but there's no real hatred in the fanbases. I've grown up in Penrith all my life, I'm surrounded by Penrith fans. When they lose to Parra, it's 'oh well'. They beat Parra in a grand final and it's not even their favourite grand final in this span.

If Carlton beat Collingwood in a grand final, I'd spend the next year partying. There's just not that same hatred in the rivalry.
Well last year is hard to beat. How could you beat that 20 mins in the GF and the comeback.

Parra GF was done after 5 mins. I was there and knew it was over straight away and drowned my sorrows with the free piss i had.

Growing up in the Hills District yeah i would agree Penrith weren't hated. There fans are getting more smug though after the success they had but that's just natural.

I was 9 years old in 2003 and was over the moon when they won beat the chooks as the underdog like most people they were even Parra fans happy for them. Us westies do stick together when we want too.

I hated the Dogs more growing up especially during the Willie Mason era in the mid-2000s even going the games back then you felt unsafe thankfully its been cleaned up as the 2009 prelim final was the best atmosphere i have been too at homebush when there was 75k.

I did some research around here a while back surrounding Wests, St George, NZ, Gold Coast and Newcastle. Last year was an outlier for two of those clubs but the statistics going back for almost 2 decades made for grim reading. There's no longevity of success for any of those clubs.

In reality, those clubs will never be able to compete with the big clubs that can offer these great TPA's.
The post below was from 2022 PhatBoy . The Warriors look most likely to buck the trend at the moment.

Was mostly to point out that before a season starts, you can essentially rule out a third of the competition from being serious competitors.
There's really already two divisions within the NRL.

Teams like Newcastle, Gold Coast, St George, Wests, the Warriors etc are really all destined to be at the bottom.

Every now and then there's a couple of good seasons but they're nowhere near challenging.

This is the last 10 seasons finals appearance of those 5 clubs.

Newcastle x 3, Titans x2, Dragons x 2, Warriors x 1, Wests x 0

The highest finishing position of any of those finalists were 7th (showing they were never really contending).

Across 5 clubs, that's only 8 finals spots in 10 years...

This new loan system is only exacerbating the issue.

Bulldogs have about 20 utilities because Gus is signing anyone and everyone on the market. Plugging temporary holes isn't going to be a long-term fix,

They need a genuine halfback and about 3 props to get anywhere close to finals.

Well last year is hard to beat. How could you beat that 20 mins in the GF and the comeback.

Parra GF was done after 5 mins. I was there and knew it was over straight away and drowned my sorrows with the free piss i had.

Growing up in the Hills District yeah i would agree Penrith weren't hated. There fans are getting more smug though after the success they had but that's just natural.

I was 9 years old in 2003 and was over the moon when they won beat the chooks as the underdog like most people they were even Parra fans happy for them. Us westies do stick together when we want too.

I hated the Dogs more growing up especially during the Willie Mason era in the mid-2000s even going the games back then you felt unsafe thankfully its been cleaned up as the 2009 prelim final was the best atmosphere i have been too at homebush when there was 75k.
That's kind of my point. In the AFL, beating Collingwood/Essendon would outweigh even the heroics of last years GF. It just means so much more.

Yeah that '09 premlim was insane. As close as the NRL has come to real tribalism between their clubs.

Yeah the NRL is lacking in some real old school hatred.

The Penrith/Parra one should be so strong but it's terrible.

No hatred in that one TBH!

No rivalry compare's when the Dogs take on the Eels with both clubs going well, even when one of them or both are rubbish it is still intense.

Dogs V Eels Prelim - 74K
Roosters V Souths Prelim - 50 something.

Obviously you don't know much about the Bulldogs!

Since Hasler came in our juniors were discarded in all areas (From money to coaching to support), he took full control of the Football club and his only care in the world was now (Thanks Todd Greenberg and that female CEO I cannot remember lol).

John Khoury (Now vice chairman but was chairman for 3 or so years) has a passion for Junior League and with Phil Gould they've built the Bulldogs juniors from nothing to Flegg Champions, Mats Champions, SG Ball top 4 and this year looks to be going the same way with the Dogs firmly entrenched in the top half of the table in Flegg, Ball and Mats.
Some of the best juniors will be coming through the Bulldogs in the next 2-3 years and playing 1st grade (Locals and country, we've invested heavily in country) HOWEVER this has taken 3 or so years and another 3 or so years is needed however we all know a Football club needs some kind of success now or the fans go off.

Bulldogs for 8 years had a culture of losing in the lower grades and those same players brought that into 1st grade... Phil Gould is buying players from winning cultures to change that from the top and at least be competitive while our juniors are winning everything and bring that to 1st grade in years too come!

Dogs will be competitive this year... Top 8 next year and dominate for years to come after that, mark my word!

Thursday 21st March
Penrith vs Brisbane - Brisbane

Friday 22nd March
New Zealand vs Canberra - Canberra
Sydney Roosters vs South Sydney - Roosters

Saturday 23rd March
Canterbury-Bankstown vs Gold Coast - Bulldogs
St.George-Illawarra vs North Queensland - Cowboys
Wests Tigers vs Cronulla-Sutherland - Cronulla

Sunday 24th March
Parramattavs vs Manly-Warringah - Manly
Newcastle vs Melbourne - 50/50 with the outs for Melbourne but I'll stick with them.

I’m not disputing those facts. I’m disputing the methods those clubs use to try and haul themselves out of the position they are in.

Those numbers mean nothing unless they’re aligned with who the clubs have signed and tried to sign.

Look at the Dogs’ spending spree in recent seasons.

As I’ve said they’ve just opened the cheque book and thrown a heap of money at players that, while talented, aren’t going to win them anything without a decent set of halves or at least one genuinely good playmaker.

Suddenly a really good one comes on the market after years of rumblings of discontent and all they can afford to sign is Drew Hutchison, a reliable but unremarkable utility from the Roosters while Luke Brooks goes to Manly.

An organised club with their finger on the pulse, even allowing for the Phil Gould factor, should have been saying ‘ok we have these guys from Penrith here, we have Crichton coming, we need some icing on the cake because Kyle Flanagan won’t cut it. Let’s sound out Luke Brooks because he sure as hell isn’t happy at the Tigers.’

Obviously you don't know much about the Bulldogs!

Since Hasler came in our juniors were discarded in all areas (From money to coaching to support), he took full control of the Football club and his only care in the world was now (Thanks Todd Greenberg and that female CEO I cannot remember lol).

John Khoury (Now vice chairman but was chairman for 3 or so years) has a passion for Junior League and with Phil Gould they've built the Bulldogs juniors from nothing to Flegg Champions, Mats Champions, SG Ball top 4 and this year looks to be going the same way with the Dogs firmly entrenched in the top half of the table in Flegg, Ball and Mats.
Some of the best juniors will be coming through the Bulldogs in the next 2-3 years and playing 1st grade (Locals and country, we've invested heavily in country) HOWEVER this has taken 3 or so years and another 3 or so years is needed however we all know a Football club needs some kind of success now or the fans go off.

Bulldogs for 8 years had a culture of losing in the lower grades and those same players brought that into 1st grade... Phil Gould is buying players from winning cultures to change that from the top and at least be competitive while our juniors are winning everything and bring that to 1st grade in years too come!

Dogs will be competitive this year... Top 8 next year and dominate for years to come after that, mark my word!

They won’t dominate anything if they keep ignoring the spots on the field where they need talent the most.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back