NRL NRL 2024 - Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Tipping!

Sunday 3rd March
Manly-Warringah vs South Sydney (Allegiant Stadium, Las Vegas - 13:30)
Sydney Roosters vs Brisbane (Allegiant Stadium, Las Vegas - 15:30)

Thursday 7thd March
Newcastle vs Canberra (McDonald Jones Stadium - 20:00)

Friday 8th March
New Zealand vs Cronulla-Sutherland (Go Media Stadium - 18:00)
Melbourne vs Penrith (AAMI Park - 20:05)

Saturday 9th March
Parramatta vs Canterbury-Bankstown (CommBank Stadium - 17:30)
Gold Coast vs St.George-Illawarra (Cbus Super Stadium - 19:35)

Sunday 10th March
Dolphins vs North Queensland (Suncorp Stadium - 14:00)

Bye:
Wests Tigers

Just read the Warriors have sold out Round 1 and round 3 matches! Brilliant

Commbank on Saturday (Dogs V Eels) is down to 400 or so tickets.

If that sin-binning is the precedent they want to set this season we're going to have a hell of a lot of games with uneven numbers. Soft as butter.

We've got a gun backline but sadly that's where it ends.

Our forwards stocks are thin, our halves are questionable and our depth is questionable!

I hope we are competitive this year, our time is 1-2 years away... We have the best juniors coming through (Not ready for NRL yet) in all positions, some absolute weapons in the halves, forwards and backs!
I just want to be playing better for 80 mins. So many long periods where attack looks stagnant and defence vulnerable. Nothing to stop teams getting a run on and no counter attack of our own.

Stoked with how tonight went, I'm not sure it could've gone much better. Especially factoring in some dogshit refereeing in the first half.

Not sure about Ethan Strange at 6, but Stuart said pre-game that he got the nod over Weekes because of his defence, and Strange did a good job in that department tonight.

Thought Morgan Smithies looked very at home for the Raiders, and KPP looked fine for Newcastle too. But two mid-table sides, at best.

Like their namesakes in English football, Newcastle always seem to get big gates, despite the form of the team.

We might not see many stranger games than that one this season. The Wahs had all the ball, they had all the territory, they played the last 25 minutes on Cronulla's goal line... and they never looked penetrating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m stunned that Papenhuyzen recovered quickly enough and got in enough of a pre season to be playing round 1. They must have access to some incredible surgeons, and every single thing must’ve gone right over summer.

I didn't get to watch it, mate. Real low scoring obviously. Any report on how papy went?

* the panthers!

He had his head split open but played the whole game … looked good

Amazing defensive effort by the whole team

Really, really poor by the Warriors I thought. Shades of the old days when they should've had that game won in the 1st half.

2nd game was a borefest.
Watching the game, Aucklander, I was visualising the steam coming out of your ears! :D So dominant for half an hour, playing good stuff, but then, it all went wrong. I wouldn't blame Shaun Johnson, I thought he was pretty good throughout, although I recall he rashly kicked early once. But once the errors started, it seemed it was hard to stop them.

As for Storm/Penrith, Penrith once again, as they did against Wigan, failed to turn field position and possession into sufficient points. A great defensive effort from Melbourne, but again, hardly a high quality contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back