NRL NRL 2024 - Round 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Tipping!

Thursday 14th March
Brisbane vs South Sydney (Suncorp Stadium - 20:00)

Friday 15th March
Cronulla-Sutherland vs Canterbury-Bankstown (PointsBet Stadium - 18:00)
Penrith vs Parramatta (BlueBet Stadium - 20:00)

Saturday 16th March
Canberra vs Wests Tigers (GIO Stadium - 15:00)
North Queensland vs Newcastle (Queensland Country Bank Stadium - 17:30)
Melbourne vs New Zealand (AAMI Park - 19:35)

Sunday 17th March
Manly-Warringah vs Sydney Roosters (4 Pines Park - 16:05)
Dolphins vs St.George-Illawarra (Suncorp Stadium - 18:15)

Bye:
Gold Coast

Broncos: Corey Jensen has been elevated to the starting side with Martin Taupau moving to the bench. Brendan Piakura was ruled out of the Las Vegas loss to the Roosters after failing his HIA but has recovered to be named in the back row. Captain Adam Reynolds has also been named despite picking up a knock to his knee in Round 1.
Rabbitohs: There are changes in the forward pack for the Bunnies with Tallis Duncan coming into the starting side for the injured Jai Arrow (shoulder). Shaquille Mitchell comes onto the bench for his first appearance of 2024 in place of Jacob Host.

Sharks: Coach Craig Fitzgibbon has made minimal changes to the side that upset the Warriors last week with Toby Rudolf named in the starting side and Royce Hunt moving to the bench. Braden Hamlin-Uele (knee) remains on the sidelines.
Bulldogs: With Josh Addo-Carr ruled out for the next few weeks with an AC injury, new recruit Conner Tracey comes onto the wing after serving as 18th player last week. Coach Cameron Ciraldo has otherwise stuck solid with the team that went down to the Eels in Round 1, with no other changes made to the line-up. Bronson Xerri is the new replacement.

Panthers: Scott Sorensen and Luke Kenny make their return in the forwards so Luke Garner goes to the bench and Luke Sommerton drops out. Matt Eisenhuth is among the reserves along with former Bulldog Paul Alamoti and Brad Schneider.
Eels: Coach Brad Arthur goes with the same 17 that got the job done in Round 1 against the Bulldogs. Wiremu Greig is listed among the reserves as he looks to return from a hamstring injury.

Raiders: Centre Seb Kris' return from suspension sees Albert Hopoate push out to the wing and Nick Cotric drop to 18th man. Hooker Danny Levi has been named to play despite hurting his quad in the win over the Knights.
Wests Tigers: The Tigers' first team of the season features rookie Lachlan Galvin at five-eighth alongside Jayden Sullivan at halfback with Aidan Sezer on the bench. With Justin Olam sidelined by a knee injury, Solomona Faataape makes his NRL debut in the centres. Faataape joined Wests Tigers this season on a one-year development contract following a premiership-winning season with Brisbane Tigers in the 2023 Queensland Cup. John Bateman lines up at lock with Asu Kepaoa named 18th man. Samuela Fainu makes his club debut off the bench.

Cowboys: Coach Todd Payten has the luxury of naming an unchanged 17 after the impressive win over the Dolphins to launch the season. Thomas Mikaele, Semi Valemei and Jake Clifford are among the reserves and Tom Chester is 18th man.
Knights: A quad injury to winger Enari Tuala brings former Panther Tom Jenkins in for his first game as a Knight. Englishman Kai Pearce-Paul has been promoted to the starting side after a strong showing off the bench in Round 1. Former Rabbitoh Jed Cartwright has forced his way into the 17 after being 18th man last week.

Storm: Star five-eighth Cameron Munster hasn’t even been included in the 22-man squad this week, suggesting his groin injury is still a fair way off being healed. Jonah Pezet will run again in the halves with Jahrome Hughes, while the Storm also haven’t named big man Nelson Asofa-Solomona, who is battling a hamstring problem. New recruit Shawn Blore is again listed as 18th man.
Warriors: An unchanged line-up from Round 1, with Wayde Egan named at hooker despite failing to finish the loss to the Sharks with an elbow injury. Kurt Capewell is set to play through the pain of a rib cartilage injury too after being named in the back row. Veteran trio Jazz Tevaga, Te Maire Martin and Chanel Harris-Tavita are all in the extended squad after playing well in the club’s reserve grade team last week.

Sea Eagles: Winger Jason Saab is set to miss six weeks with a hamstring injury and his place is taken by Tommy Talau. Hooker Karl Lawton suffered an ankle injury in Round 1 but has been named to play. Back-rower Josh Schuster will play NSW Cup this weekend as he closes in on a return from a calf injury. Jake Arthur is again the 18th man.
Roosters: A boost for the Roosters with star recruit Dom Young named to return from a neck injury he suffered during the Pre-Season Challenge. Young takes over on the wing from Fetalaiga Pauga. Also back on deck is prop Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (suspension) while back-rower Sitili Tupouniua has been named to play despite suffering a groin injury in Round 1. The Roosters will be without prop Spencer Leniu until Round 10 after he was banned for eight games for contrary conduct.

Dolphins: A big change in the halves sees young gun Isaiya Katoa named at No.7 and Sean O’Sullivan among the reserves. Former Bulldog Jake Averillo is set to make his Dolphins debut, named alongside fellow recruit Herbie Farnworth in the centres with Tesi Niu shifting to the reserves. Back-rower Connelly Lemuelu (knee) and lock Ray Stone (concussion) are both out. Euan Aitken comes in at second row while Max Plaith has been promoted from the bench to lock. Jarrod Wallace joins the bench after being named as 18th man last week.
Dragons: New recruit Luciano Leilua has been named on the bench to make his club debut after missing Round 1 due to suspension. Prop Blake Lawrie is good to go after being ruled out of last week’s win with a rib cartilage injury. After moving into the starting side last week, Raymond Faitala-Mariner has been named on the bench while fellow recruit Hame Sele remains sidelined with a hamstring injury. Last week’s NRL debutant Viliami Fifita is 18th man.

Last edited:

And then a blocking play to protect the kicker.

Welcome to Retro Round !

That finished me off, I’ve been screaming about this play for years (including on this forum.) It’s my pet rugby league hate.

Walsh is an absolute jet, he just makes sooooo many dumb errors. If he cleaned them up he’d comfortably be the best player in the league imo

He’s gifted but I think his flash covers a lot.

If I was his coach before ANYTHING else I would be taking him aside and telling him to get his swan dive try put-downs the * out of his game. It will either a) cost him a busted shoulder or b) a try at a crucial time at some point. He showboated with his team trailing in round one by doing it. If nothing else it makes him look stupid.

Souths looked absolutely abysmal tonight

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s gifted but I think his flash covers a lot.

If I was his coach before ANYTHING else I would be taking him aside and telling him to get his swan dive try put-downs the * out of his game. It will either a) cost him a busted shoulder or b) a try at a crucial time at some point. He showboated with his team trailing in round one by doing it. If nothing else it makes him look stupid.

Souths looked absolutely abysmal tonight
Agree with most of this.

He's still young. He'll improve further. Which is a scary thought in itself.

And I'm seldom saddened by a Rabbits defeat. :D

Absolutely do not tell Walsh to tone it down. He's the type of character that fans love to latch on to. He wants to swan dive, let him.

He absolutely has to get the stupid errors out of his game though. That pass from dummy half last night (6m out from his own line) was pathetic.

When you’re swan diving close to the dead ball line while your team is trailing in an arm wrestle?

Yeah, you should be making sure you just get the ball over the line (ie. round one).

Brisbane had a gun side last year and theoretically despite losing a couple of players, being a young side should probably improve this year if their young players build on it. But one thing - admittedly only based on two games - that has stood out so far - is that they seem to be relying on big plays to score their points rather than just building on the back of two of the best go forward merchants in the game in Carrigan and Haas. When it works it looks incredible but those kick plays and trick shots won’t work all the time and there’ll be weeks when it just looks ordinary and round one was a prime example.

They came up against a defensively disciplined team who didn’t cough up any ball who just played good percentage footy and they didn’t get anywhere doing it. I’m sure they will settle into playing more ‘normal’ footy as the season goes on especially with a player like Reynolds running the show and Walsh is a gun obviously I’m not saying he’s not, but if I was their coach (and yes there’s obviously a reason I’m not an NRL coach) I would be telling them to save the fancy stuff as a surprise rather than using it as their go-to means of attack

When you’re swan diving close to the dead ball line while your team is trailing in an arm wrestle?

Yeah, you should be making sure you just get the ball over the line (ie. round one).

Brisbane had a gun side last year and theoretically despite losing a couple of players, being a young side should probably improve this year if their young players build on it. But one thing - admittedly only based on two games - that has stood out so far - is that they seem to be relying on big plays to score their points rather than just building on the back of two of the best go forward merchants in the game in Carrigan and Haas. When it works it looks incredible but those kick plays and trick shots won’t work all the time and there’ll be weeks when it just looks ordinary and round one was a prime example.

They came up against a defensively disciplined team who didn’t cough up any ball who just played good percentage footy and they didn’t get anywhere doing it. I’m sure they will settle into playing more ‘normal’ footy as the season goes on especially with a player like Reynolds running the show and Walsh is a gun obviously I’m not saying he’s not, but if I was their coach (and yes there’s obviously a reason I’m not an NRL coach) I would be telling them to save the fancy stuff as a surprise rather than using it as their go-to means of attack
Yes. If you curtail his flair, you won't get the raw talent he is clearly showing. You take the good with the bad. He's 21 years old, he'll mature in time. For now, let him have his fun.

I think you've nailed it really, its round 2. At this stage there'll be times where they'll just have to rely on moments of magic. They'll settle into the season as it progresses through.

Yes. If you curtail his flair, you won't get the raw talent he is clearly showing. You take the good with the bad. He's 21 years old, he'll mature in time. For now, let him have his fun.

I think you've nailed it really, its round 2. At this stage there'll be times where they'll just have to rely on moments of magic. They'll settle into the season as it progresses through.

As a Queensland fan I love his raw ability because he can bust a game open in 5 minutes. No doubt about that.

I do wonder if he has what it takes to add the sort of stuff that ultimately made a guy like Slater so good (the positioning, the reading of the play, his defensive capability etc). Mind you that’s a pretty unfair comparison because it’s holding him up against one of the best 2-3 fullbacks to ever play the game so it’s harsh I know

As a Queensland fan I love his raw ability because he can bust a game open in 5 minutes. No doubt about that.

I do wonder if he has what it takes to add the sort of stuff that ultimately made a guy like Slater so good (the positioning, the reading of the play, his defensive capability etc). Mind you that’s a pretty unfair comparison because it’s holding him up against one of the best 2-3 fullbacks to ever play the game so it’s harsh I know
All hypothetical of course but on potential, I think he could get to that level. Still plenty of hard work to do to get there of course.

What a wild first half a Penrith Park! I don't even know what's going on, Penrith could've been 24-6 in front at half time and somehow they're down? Completely nonsensical!

Well, I thought we were going to give up a cricket score in that first half, but we have shown some real heart to take an 18-16 lead despite Penrith dominating the field position.

I'm a little disappointed Luai didn't spend 10 in the bin for a second reportable offense. I'd like to know what you have to get sent to the bin in 2024.

The Western Sydney derby is the best match up in the league at the moment, despite Parra's struggles last season both teams are top quality and should be in finals contention (at least) at the end of the season.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back