Game Day Swans board draft night live discussion

Which of our draftees will play the most senior games for us?

• Oliver Florent

• Will Hayward

• Darcy Cameron

• Jack Maibaum

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Rd 1 will clearly be able to be judged in future years - it was either Simpkin or Florents -
To broken leg or not broken leg.....?

Well Rd 1 will clearly be able to be judged in future years - it was either Simpkin or Florents -
To broken leg or not broken leg.....?

For me it will be:
Florent v Simpkin (watching Logue closely too)
Haywood v Witherden
Maibuam v Allison
Cameron v Young

Giving it three or four years.

For me it will be:
Florent v Simpkin (watching Logue closely too)
Haywood v Witherden
Maibuam v Allison
Cameron v Young

Giving it three or four years.

Brisbane would have matched the Allison bid for sure if we had have tried to pick him.

I'm so eager to hear who all you draft experts would have chosen as alternatives. The negativity on this board is unpalatable at times. We went into the draft wanting the best available with pick 9 and 19 and drafting for needs with our later two picks. In my opinion, undoubtedly we achieved that aim.

Florent: People wanted speed, creativity and a bit of flare - we chose Florent. He'd be one of the most creative and evasive players in the draft. Perhaps a case could be made that Simpkin was a better pick but most power rankings/phantom drafts had them very evenly matched. Simpkin is coming off a broken leg too which makes it far more difficult to assess how good he really is.

Hayward: I would be very interested to hear who people believed was a better pick that was available at 21. He is a dead eye dick and provides another much needed avenue to goal to relieve some pressure from our midfield. Think of him as a better man's Xavier Richards. Emma Quayle even had Hayward linked at Carlton's pick 5 at one stage, albeit quite a stretch. Yet, people still complain he was a poor choice. Who would be the suggested alternative? Take someone like Shai Bolton for instance whose name has been thrown around - you might get the speed you so ardently desire but his skill set is lacklustre.

Maibaum: a very well built and solid sized key defender (193cm and over 90kg). A poor pick here would have been another Laidler, Rampe, Marsh type that plays third tall. Instead, we took a strong key defender who can hold down a defensive post and who also happens to be the U18 All Australian full back.

Cameron: I think it is naive to think we can get away with only having three ruckmen on our list - far too risky, especially given the injury history of Tippett, Sinclair and Naismith. Perhaps an argument could be made that we should have worked harder to retain Nankervis but if you're given the opportunity to play best 22 at another club, you're always going to take it. Now by no means will Cameron be a superstar but he gives us depth and flexibility in that he can play up forward as a second ruck and also provide a contest. He's also a mature-ager so we're not going to have to wait a couple of years (like the Dogs will with English) for his body to develop.

Now I still understand the argument that our two biggest needs are foot skills and outside spread but for people just to expect they will pop out of nowhere in the draft is unreasonable. Beatson came in with a set aim for the draft and achieved it in my books.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone catch Kinnear Beatson's comments on SEN? I missed it. From what I can glean from tweets he was very excited about Hayward but he didn't sound too enthused about Maibaum.

I'm so eager to hear who all you draft experts would have chosen as alternatives. The negativity on this board is unpalatable at times. We went into the draft wanting the best available with pick 9 and 19 and drafting for needs with our later two picks. In my opinion, undoubtedly we achieved that aim.

Florent: People wanted speed, creativity and a bit of flare - we chose Florent. He'd be one of the most creative and evasive players in the draft. Perhaps a case could be made that Simpkin was a better pick but most power rankings/phantom drafts had them very evenly matched. Simpkin is coming off a broken leg too which makes it far more difficult to assess how good he really is.

Hayward: I would be very interested to hear who people believed was a better pick, that was available at 21. He is a dead eye dick and provides another much needed avenue to goal to relieve some pressure from our midfield. Think of him as a better man's Xavier Richards. Emma Quayle even had Hayward linked at Carlton's pick 5 at one stage, albeit quite a stretch. Yet, people still complain he was a poor choice. Who would be the suggested alternative? Take someone like Shai Bolton for instance whose name has been thrown around - you might get the speed you so ardently desire but his skill set is lacklustre.

Maibaum: a very well built and solid sized key defender (193cm and over 90kg). A poor pick here would have been another Laidler, Rampe, Marsh type that plays third tall. Instead, we took a strong key defender who can hold down a defensive post and who also happens to be the U18 All Australian full back.

Cameron: I think it is naive to think we can get away with only having three ruckmen on our list - far too risky, especially given the injury history of Tippett, Sinclair and Naismith. Perhaps an argument could be made that we should have worked harder to retain Nankervis but if you're given the opportunity to play best 22 at another club, you're always going to take it. Now by no means will Cameron be a superstar but he gives us depth and flexibility in that he can play up forward as a second ruck and also provide a contest. He's also a mature-ager so we're not going to have to wait a couple of years (like the Dogs will with English) for his body to develop.

It is draft night. Let those who wish to vent, vent. Will be behind the players 100% tomorrow.

Everyone needs time to process.

In response to your query:

Instead of Florent, Simpkin.

More consistent skills and creativity up forward. Potentially less go home factor. Has more scope. I would suggest that this pick was for Logue if available. He bolted and we took who we thougjt was next best

Hayward. Other selections couldve been taken: C. Cox, witherden.

Problem with hayward during his u18 carnival is that he often played as a lead up key forward for the sa team. He is not the height to be able to do this at afl level. Therefore it seems recruiting him is hoping he can translate ala rocky ir sidebottom. A direct need and potential targets for this area is both witherden and C. Cox. Witherden plays as a playmaking HBF with exceptionally kicking whilst c cox is a hbf running ala Rhyce Shaw. Also has the same kicking skills on occassion.

Maibuam is fine selection. Pure stopper and can groom as a Grundy replacement. Unsure how he will go against the athletic monsters but hopefully AA gets them. Only thing we may have done is bid on Allison.

Cameron selection i get. Ruck cover. Only other selection that could make sense are lewis young as a developing KPF or luke ryan as another hbf.

Poll added to the OP

Anyone catch Kinnear Beatson's comments on SEN? I missed it. From what I can glean from tweets he was very excited about Hayward but he didn't sound too enthused about Maibaum.
Forgot his name, so maybe the final decision was out of his hands - But he might have been distracted- there seemed to a bit going on around him during the interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back