Welcome Swans Fans - Introduce Yourselves Here!

Remove this Banner Ad

7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? The Walkabout pub in Covent Garden, London

That would have been awesome...and first thing in the morning too yeh? Big day of celebrations afterwards I bet!

That would have been awesome...and first thing in the morning too yeh? Big day of celebrations afterwards I bet!

Yeah it was definitely an experience, I was playing Aussie rules in London at the time and there was about 15 of us all up. Our entry ticket included a meat pie and a schooner - start time was 5:30am - and yep, spent the whole day celebrating!

Yeah it was definitely an experience, I was playing Aussie rules in London at the time and there was about 15 of us all up. Our entry ticket included a meat pie and a schooner - start time was 5:30am - and yep, spent the whole day celebrating!
You didn't happen to play for the West London team by any chance? I'm pretty sure my cousin was playing for them that year!

my name is Edmund
I have been following the swans all my life (16 years)
My all time favourite players is Barry Hall
My favourite current player is Kurt Tippett
My favourite swans possession is my 2016 swans Gersey

Welcome Edmund! Great to have you on board :thumbsu:

1. Where are you from? Originally from Melbourne but have now lived in the beautiful city of Ballarat for the past 28 years. Would not dream of living in Melbourne again.
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? My parents barracked for Footscray and therefore so did I until my sister started dating a Swan supporter. At around about 11-12 I was told by them that I could continue to follow the Dogs and stay at home listening to the game on the radio or go with them to the games and follow the Swans. Fair to say it took my a good 12 months or so to be totally converted.
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? As above I was around 12. That was 50 years ago. I am pleased to say that my wife and I are on the members honour board at the SCG as being continuous members for over 30 years.
4. Favourite players (current)? Buddy, Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Titch
5. Favourite players (all time)? Brett Kirk, Peter Bedford, Paul Kelly, Barry Round and Plugger
6. Favourite Swans memories? Even though we lost the game, actually making it to the 1996 grand final was a fantastic week leading up to the game and then actually going to the G. After enduring the 70s, 80s and almost disappearing from the league in the early 90s I never imagined I would go to a grand final involving my beloved team. Obviously, I will go to my grave still remembering the final minutes of the 2005 premiership and singing "we are the champions" over and over again was simply unbelievable.
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? I am so pleased to say that we were at the MCG on that fateful day. Will never forget it.
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? Hard to put it down to one. We have an entire wall (big one) filled with Swans memorabilia. Plugger's 2000th goal plaque, signed jumper by Goodsey in the year of his first Brownlow and all the premiership stuff. Probably my favourite(s) are the two premiership lithographs.

Attachments

• IMG_2621.JPG
    IMG_2621.JPG
    734.3 KB · Views: 55
1. Where are you from? now Brisbane , before Sydney
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? They moved to Sydney and they were same colours as my NRL team( the Dragons )
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? 1982
4. Favourite players (current)? Nick Smith , Ted Richards, Kieran Jack,
5. Favourite players (all time)? Dennis Carroll , Mark Bayes, Paul Kelly ,Micky O , A.Goodes
6. Favourite Swans memories? watching Swans kick 30 goals in 3 straight games in 1987, beating Melbourne at SCG in 1993 after 26 straight losses.
2005 & 2012 final series and flags
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? Bay M50
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? 2005 Premiership print , Cigarette card collections from 1900's onwards

Hi, I've been registered on the board for a while now but only post every so often. Keen to get more involved this season.

1. Where are you from? Melbourne

2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? Dad grew up in Port/South Melbourne and followed South.

3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? Since I was born, although and I am ashamed to admit it, I followed the Hawks for 2 years when I was 7-8.

4. Favourite players (current)? Heeney, Tippett, Jones, Parker

5. Favourite players (all time)? Kelly will always be my favourite, Lockett, Goodes, Maxfield

6. Favourite Swans memories? 2012 Grand Final - This is going to be a bit of a story so I'll try to keep it as short as I can but I think it's a good grand final story that you guys might enjoy (apologies if it’s a bit too much) – As mentioned above, my Dad has been a swans fan (and a mad one) for pretty much his whole life and we were unable to get tickets to 2005 but managed to get 3 for Dad, my brother & myself for 2012. At the time, my dad was currently undergoing chemotherapy and was unwell so he was pretty uncertain that he was going be able to make it through what is a pretty long day. He was on a walking stick too which made it tougher given he’d be on his feet/walking a lot of the day so his mind changed from day to day but on the Thursday/Friday he was feeling well enough and after a few encouraging talks from mum, he agreed to come along which was great news.

On the morning of, I was woken up by mum at 7am telling me that she couldn’t find the tickets and she doesn't know where they went. I jumped out of bed to begin the search, we pulled apart the house, looked through the bins and pretty much tried everywhere you could possibly think but with no luck. I rang ticketek/ticketmaster and explained the situation and asked if there was a way I could print out another copy of the tickets. The lady on the phone just kept going ‘oh no, oh no’ which put the fear through me but eventually said she would have to go check with her manager. What felt like a couple of hours would have been only a couple of minutes but she came back and said something like ‘it’s your lucky day, go to Gate 1 at the ground and present the credit card you purchased tickets with and they will print you out another copy of the tickets.’ We hoped in the car, drove to the ground, got the tickets and were very relieved once we had them in our hands. After grabbing the tickets, we went to the pub to catch up with some family friends and then headed to the ground for what we know was a fantastic day.

I remember that siren going and having a look around the ground and thinking that I’ll never forget that moment. There were hugs, tears & pure joy. After the game, we went to the Rising Sun and sang the song more times than I can remember and Dad put in a great effort, he was about 4-5 pints down at about midnight when he called it a night. I know we can get caught up in the emotion of sport and overstate things but it will go down as one of the best days of my life.

Unfortunately Dad passed away last year but every time we saw highlights or watched a replay of the game, he’d smile and say ‘we were there’. The fact my brother & I got to share that day with him will make it a hard memory to top.

7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? At home watching it with Dad as we were unable to get tickets.

8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? I don't actually own it but for my dad's 60th, we bought him a framed jumper/replica medal with signatures from all the players from 2012 flag. It's huge and sits proudly in the parents living room

I hope that wasn't too long but have enjoyed reading others' posts and hope you enjoy reading.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi, I've enjoyed reading BigFooty and the Sydney board for a few years. Just recently retired so have more time to contribute to the board now.

1. Where are you from? Melbourne originally, but have lived and worked in SE Asia for the past 17 years.

2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? My best friend played with South Melbourne U.19's and had a couple of games in the ressies too. A guy from school- Bruce Davis played seniors for them too! Paul Harrison was one of our teachers in my early Secondary years. I lived in the Swans recruiting zone in the western suburbs and my U.18's team was invited to train at the old Lake oval with the South U.19 squad one Sunday morning (after their game the day before). It was a thrill doing circle work around the Lake oval.

3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? Since about 1972 but I followed the Bombers until my mid teens (I know- that sucks!) until Tuddenham coached them. Then I changed to South- real underdogs at the time! I remember living on a main road when I was a little kid and I would put my Bombers jumper on my dog and he would pull me along on my roller skates. ( I know - it sounds a bit cruel but I was only tiny and he was an Alsatian!) I would like a dollar for every time a car stopped for a look. Little did I know that Tuddenham would come to coach South later too!

4. Favourite players (current)? Grundy (so underrated and we would sink without him) Heeney, Parker, Kieran Jack , Kennedy, McVeigh (the best skills in the side) and Laidler is growing on me too!!

5. Favourite players (all time)? (a big list in chronological order) Jim Cleary (only joking- he was even before my time!! But one tough nut I am led to believe!!) Skilts, Rantall, John Sudholz (Mr. Fitness!), Bedford, Stevie Hoffman, Gary Brice, Stewart Gull (for decking Rotten Ronnie Andrews one day out at Windy Hill), Stevie Wright, Graham Teasedale, Ian Roberts, Barry Round (a legend), Rhys Jones, Bernie Evans, Dennis Carrol, Tony Morwood, Tony Daniher, Mark Browning, Barry Mitchell, Capper, Greg Smith (a warrior!), Greg Williams, Paul Kelly, Tilt Carter, Lockett, Mark Bayes, Troy Luff, Cresswell, Dunkley, Kirk, Jude Bolton, Rhyce Shaw and Goodes, the champion.

6. Favourite Swans memories? The two winning Grand Finals, of course. 2012 ws a much better game and all the more sweeter due to the opposition on the day! Watching the one and only final Skilts played in against the saints at the G. Sitting in the old Lake oval stand stomping on the wooden floor and making a lot of noise to try and bring the boys home. Beating Collingwood at Victoria Park one day after a very long drought there (and surviving after the game!) Let's just say that the locals were not very happy!! After a loss out at Footscray one day I was one of only a half dozen supporters that wandered into the South rooms ater the game as the players started to change. Barrassi quietly reminded them to not turn their backs on their supporters and pointed to me. I know this is not exciting but it's something I have a vivid memory of.

7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? At a bar/restaurant in Bangkok with a couple of non Aussie work colleagues that I coaxed along. Didn't have high expectations of winning but the rest is history. Tight game all day and we won! My colleagues enjoyed it too and even came back for the 06 repeat with the same 2 sides. Better game but wrong result!!.

8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? My old 70's Swans scarf that my daughter in Melbourne is looking after for me.

Last edited:
1. Where are you from? Sydney
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? I was a rugby player. I got concussed when I was really young. My mum made me play AFL. (As soon as I left home I played rugby again)
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? Since 1996
4. Favourite players (current)? Towers, Sinclair, Laidler, Parker the numero uno
5. Favourite players (all time)? B.Kirk, S. Maxfield, P. Crouch, L. Barry, LRT
6. Favourite Swans memories? Would have to say nick davis's kick verse Geelong. I was in a room full of Geelong supporters at uni, will never forget the moment.
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? Uni
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? Number 36 official heritage jersey from T.Schmidt as my username suggest from 2003. Before they starting selling the heritage jersey's in store.

I am new again.

Years ago I was a hard core fantasy poster on bigfooty especially while working for betfair. I had a lot of free time. I bypassed the swans board a bit during the years because I was so passionate I couldn't bring myself to read excuses why we lost.

I then lived in Finland for 4 years, just got back and am trying to get back into the community. I love talking fantasy, I love talking football.

Last edited:
Hi, I've been registered on the board for a while now but only post every so often. Keen to get more involved this season.

1. Where are you from? Melbourne

2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? Dad grew up in Port/South Melbourne and followed South.

3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? Since I was born, although and I am ashamed to admit it, I followed the Hawks for 2 years when I was 7-8.

4. Favourite players (current)? Heeney, Tippett, Jones, Parker

5. Favourite players (all time)? Kelly will always be my favourite, Lockett, Goodes, Maxfield

6. Favourite Swans memories? 2012 Grand Final - This is going to be a bit of a story so I'll try to keep it as short as I can but I think it's a good grand final story that you guys might enjoy (apologies if it’s a bit too much) – As mentioned above, my Dad has been a swans fan (and a mad one) for pretty much his whole life and we were unable to get tickets to 2005 but managed to get 3 for Dad, my brother & myself for 2012. At the time, my dad was currently undergoing chemotherapy and was unwell so he was pretty uncertain that he was going be able to make it through what is a pretty long day. He was on a walking stick too which made it tougher given he’d be on his feet/walking a lot of the day so his mind changed from day to day but on the Thursday/Friday he was feeling well enough and after a few encouraging talks from mum, he agreed to come along which was great news.

On the morning of, I was woken up by mum at 7am telling me that she couldn’t find the tickets and she doesn't know where they went. I jumped out of bed to begin the search, we pulled apart the house, looked through the bins and pretty much tried everywhere you could possibly think but with no luck. I rang ticketek/ticketmaster and explained the situation and asked if there was a way I could print out another copy of the tickets. The lady on the phone just kept going ‘oh no, oh no’ which put the fear through me but eventually said she would have to go check with her manager. What felt like a couple of hours would have been only a couple of minutes but she came back and said something like ‘it’s your lucky day, go to Gate 1 at the ground and present the credit card you purchased tickets with and they will print you out another copy of the tickets.’ We hoped in the car, drove to the ground, got the tickets and were very relieved once we had them in our hands. After grabbing the tickets, we went to the pub to catch up with some family friends and then headed to the ground for what we know was a fantastic day.

I remember that siren going and having a look around the ground and thinking that I’ll never forget that moment. There were hugs, tears & pure joy. After the game, we went to the Rising Sun and sang the song more times than I can remember and Dad put in a great effort, he was about 4-5 pints down at about midnight when he called it a night. I know we can get caught up in the emotion of sport and overstate things but it will go down as one of the best days of my life.

Unfortunately Dad passed away last year but every time we saw highlights or watched a replay of the game, he’d smile and say ‘we were there’. The fact my brother & I got to share that day with him will make it a hard memory to top.

7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? At home watching it with Dad as we were unable to get tickets.

8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? I don't actually own it but for my dad's 60th, we bought him a framed jumper/replica medal with signatures from all the players from 2012 flag. It's huge and sits proudly in the parents living room

I hope that wasn't too long but have enjoyed reading others' posts and hope you enjoy reading.
Awesome story dn41. It's amazing how some of your deepest and joyous memories can come from your love of a footy club.

I was at the 2005 GF and remember hugging complete strangers (and nearly crying) who I'd meet on the day and like me had stuck with the club for years without success. It was like a huge amount of pressure that had accumulated over the decades had finally been released. 2012 was different in that we no longer had a hoodoo hanging over our heads and we could simply enjoy the experience.

Awesome story dn41. It's amazing how some of your deepest and joyous memories can come from your love of a footy club.

I was at the 2005 GF and remember hugging complete strangers (and nearly crying) who I'd meet on the day and like me had stuck with the club for years without success. It was like a huge amount of pressure that had accumulated over the decades had finally been released. 2012 was different in that we no longer had a hoodoo hanging over our heads and we could simply enjoy the experience.

Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed reading it.

I think I enjoyed 2012 for the reasons you mentioned above, 2005 was more of a need to win due to the drought. I also think 2012 was a better game of football (aside from Leo's mark).

It's a wonderful thing when everything can be put aside due to the love of a single thing. At the end of 2012, my brother broke down and cried and there were plenty of swans supporters around to give him a pat on the back. I also remember walking down the street at about midnight on Grand Final night in '12 in my swans jumper and a random dude came up (wearing swans colours) and just gave me a big hug and said 'go the swannies' and off he went.

Not sure if all clubs are like this but I'd like to think (perhaps blindly) that we are unique. I have a huge sense of pride following this club and from the swans supporters I know, they feel the same.

1. Where are you from?
Sydney

2. Why did you start supporting the Swans?
They were Sth Melb and lost all the time (bit like the blues & demons now in the early 70s, so I started following them as underdogs... I was still a league girl, but the bloods were the AFL team I followed. Had a difficult pregnancy in 1981 and was confined to bed so saw a lot more footy and the announcement that the bloods were moving to Sydney was enough for me to change codes and follow them full time.

3. How long have you been supporting the Swans?
Full time since 1981 (part-time about a decade earlier)

4. Favourite players (current)?
McVeigh, Rampe, Parker

5. Favourite players (all time)?
Difficult but I'll go with Brett Kirk, Paul Kelly, Stewey Maxfield and Craig Bolton

6. Favourite Swans memories
2012 GF - 1st time at MCG, 1st time at AFL GF, Swans win in the dying minutes.... Sensational

7. Where were you for the 2005 GF?
At home watching on my TV having packed the kids off to a friends.. :)

8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own?
I have a cap signed by Craig Bolton, Lewis Jetta, Jude Bolton and LRT

1. Where are you from?
Sydney

They were Sth Melb and lost all the time (bit like the blues & demons now in the early 70s, so I started following them as underdogs... I was still a league girl, but the bloods were the AFL team I followed. Had a difficult pregnancy in 1981 and was confined to bed so saw a lot more footy and the announcement that the bloods were moving to Sydney was enough for me to change codes and follow them full time.

Full time since 1981 (part-time about a decade earlier)

McVeigh, Rampe, Parker

Difficult but I'll go with Brett Kirk, Paul Kelly, Stewey Maxfield and Craig Bolton

6. Favourite Swans memories
2012 GF - 1st time at MCG, 1st time at AFL GF, Swans win in the dying minutes.... Sensational

At home watching on my TV having packed the kids off to a friends.. :)

I have a cap signed by Craig Bolton, Lewis Jetta, Jude Bolton and LRT
Another female!! Yay. Welcome aboard.

I visited Australia for vacation with my family and was convinced by a rather attractive young Australian lady on the flight over to check out an AFL game (she was a Hawthorn supporter and warned me about toothless Geelong fans.) So Easter Weekend, my 11 year old son and I braved the rainy weather and Easter Show crowds around ANZ Stadium to watch the Bloods play Essendon. I'm sure many of you remember that Sydney came out an laid an egg (not sure if that phrase translates between American and Aussie, it means they sucked). After three quarters, the Swans were losing by 34, but the sports fan in me knows never to leave a game early or you might miss a miracle. Well, that miracle happened and a Swans fan was born.

Welcome, that is one of the best introductory posts I've read! Look forward to seeing you on the boards.

At Ticky's invitation . . .

1. Where are you from?

Beavercreek, OH, USA.

I visited Australia for vacation with my family and was convinced by a rather attractive young Australian lady on the flight over to check out an AFL game (she was a Hawthorn supporter and warned me about toothless Geelong fans.) So Easter Weekend, my 11 year old son and I braved the rainy weather and Easter Show crowds around ANZ Stadium to watch the Bloods play Essendon. I'm sure many of you remember that Sydney came out an laid an egg (not sure if that phrase translates between American and Aussie, it means they sucked). After three quarters, the Swans were losing by 34, but the sports fan in me knows never to leave a game early or you might miss a miracle. Well, that miracle happened and a Swans fan was born.

For a year to the day almost.

Buddy Franklin. I work in the mental health field in America and I appreciate that Buddy was strong enough to leave for mental health reasons without everyone going ape s**t (at least this is my perspective from across the Pacific, maybe you can tell me if I'm wrong). If LeBron James did the same in America before the NBA playoffs, it would have been on the news non-stop with very little understand for the need for privacy and the importance of treating mental illness. To me, this is one of the many things you Down Under blokes get right and we in the States get wrong.

Callum Mills. LOL. :)

6. Favourite Swans memories?

So I'm going to skip these questions to ask anyone who reads this for their perspective on the international appeal of footy and I don't mean in Tasmania or NZ. The sport is an awesome blend of the constant motion and watch-ability of soccer and the physicality of American football and rugby. I can turn a game on with no background into doping scandals or rivalries or the behind the scenes history of the sport and just enjoy watching the game. American football is so boring with constant time outs and commercials, footy is the exact opposite. The rules are simple and the play isn't over officiated (for example, the side judges just toss the ball back in if it goes out of bounds, in basketball the referees will go to the TV monitor to determine who touches it last, killing the flow of the game). In short, I am a huge sports fan, and I think footy is one of the best I've seen. That said, I barely even knew the sport existed until I went to Australia.

So, why is there next to no coverage of the AFL in America or the rest of the industrialized (<--notice the proper spelling with a "z") :) world? I know there was a All-Star exhibition using international rules played in New York City after the season, but the only reason I knew about it was afl.com.au; there was next to no American media coverage. Do you want to keep the sport as Australia's little gem? Or do you want the sport to grow internationally? Or do you just simply not care what the rest of the world is missing?

Anyway, thanks to those who have welcomed me. I look forward to learn a lot more about your great sport.

Go Bloods!
Awesome post. Welcome to the board mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back