Analysis Swans General Performance 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I think this thread is appropriate??
Its designed to offer a space to chat about general performance across the season - kind of all the autopsy threads combined.
A place to discuss
  • how the forward, mid and back lines are performing
  • role players within the b22
  • superstars and match winners
  • SCG and away performance
  • ball movement
  • consistency
  • etc etc

Ill start by describing some interesting facts..

Theres been a lot of chatter about the Swans pre-season and how the list was mostly healthy. Following this, there was a lot of chatter about how fit the Swans players are and how they would run teams off their feet.

Quarters won....
1st quarter - Swans are equal 4th with 5 quarters won
2nd quarter - Swans are equal 2nd with 5
3rd quarter - Swans are equal 1st with 6
4th quarter - Swans are outright 1st with 7
total quarters won -Swans are outright 1st with 23 (2 clear of GWS in 2nd)

Horse loves consistency, and this suggests the players are coming to the party.
It also suggests that as each game proceeds, the Swans get better, which is a big turnaround from the last couple of years.

Richmond game was a pathetic loss, but you can't win them all, we should have got over the line.

We have played some great footy, but also some awful patches even in wins. Yesterday in the first before it rained we looked shocking for instance.
My point is not to s**t on them, but to say we haven't seen close to what I think this side is capable of yet if it all clicks.

What I can say is 85% of the time give or take the workrate and effort both ways has been there, Heeney has led the way, he is the star yes, but he also does all the dirty work. What you then see are guys like Warner lifting and doing the defensive stuff as well.

We have also seen the off season acquisitions improve the side,

Grundy is an elite ruck, Jordon goes from strength to strength and Adams has made a difference to the side since coming in and will only get better. Since he joined there is less Gulden under a pack for instance.

My big worry- well two

Tmac concussion

Tall Forwards- Mcdonald and Amartey (I think Mclean is doing his role) Amartey especially is basiczlly just there to occupy a tall defender, but he spends 40% of his time on his bum on the bench and he doesn't do enough when he is on. Mcdonald has his critics, but at least he can stay on the ground, and work up and down and into a game.

Tall Forwards- Mcdonald and Amartey (I think Mclean is doing his role) Amartey especially is basiczlly just there to occupy a tall defender, but he spends 40% of his time on his bum on the bench and he doesn't do enough when he is on. Mcdonald has his critics, but at least he can stay on the ground, and work up and down and into a game.

Still don't think Logan is showing KPF presence. He wasn't even on Sam Taylor he had the #2 defender in Buckley.

People talk about finals being where weaknesses are exposed, and ours is our KPFs can they stand up against the best defences

First quarter, our smalls were MIA when nothing was coming to ground

There are 5 things, all fixable before finals, that we will need to go all the way:

1. Adapting our game style when others bring the pressure. Composure is needed and the kick pass uncontested style should be activated earlier to sap the energy of our opponents.

2. We need Mills back in our defensive structure. We saw what Rampe brings. Roberts to probably make way - he’s having a great year but he’s young and game may not stand up to high pressure / big finals.

3. Our 3 talls needs someone to emerge to clunk and convert the big ones. These types of goals win grand finals. Hope that’s Logan cos we will be up against Jezza/Hawkins, Curnow/McKay/DK etc

4. Tackling pressure. It was great yesterday but we need to keep working on it. Success looks like being able to tackle Tomahawk 1 on 1 / not letting handballs get out.

5. Squad rotation. Rotating when needed, bulking up before finals etc. not only need our best available but they need to be fit and firing. Geelong did this brilliantly in 22, should adopt similar.

Of course we could win without this, but the above should give us the best possible chance.

I like fast players.

Still don't think Logan is showing KPF presence. He wasn't even on Sam Taylor he had the #2 defender in Buckley.

People talk about finals being where weaknesses are exposed, and ours is our KPFs can they stand up against the best defences

Taylors far superior atm , McLean is our best tall and he had to take him

Papley was poor yesterday , and was randomly in the middle again.

Hayward had to step in and did

It's too early to worry about this, but all things going well then I hope we plan out the post bye period to give key players some rest.

One of the bad things I think Longmire inherited from Roos is that idea of not changing the team unless you have to. I think it has contributed to our last game of the year, whether it is Grand Final or another game, sometimes being our worst performance of the year.

I wasn't sure where to write this. But I think losing against Richmond was exactly what this team needed at exactly the right time (in a nothing game at the start of the season to light a fire under their asses).

Giants are right, we are a bit young and chirpy and the tigers showed us what could happen if we rest on our laurels. Kinda like how the 1992 dream team were deliberately sabotaged by coach Chuck Daly to lose to a college team to show them what a tragedy it could potentially be.

I'm sure the memory of losing 2022 is still burning. And the tigers loss at the MCG was a reminder.

I get a strong impression members of this team really want success as a team unit if the interviews are anything to go by. Players taking pay cuts was so refreshing to hear from a team outside Geelong.

We gotta pray McCartin is ok and that Hamling will be a good backup.

My big worry- well two

Tmac concussion

Im not worried about our three talls up forward..
McLean is a 2nd ruck / 3rd tall forward and playing his role.
McDonald and Amartey are also playing their roles.
McDonald is equal 11th for goals kicked (17) which is pretty good for a young KPF
Amartey is equal 24th for goals kicked (13) which has him on track for 40+ this year.
All three are on minimum $$ which means theres more money for others.

The Swans have 5 players in the top 32 goal kickers in the comp, including 2 x talls, 1 x medium fwd, 1 x small fwd, 1 x mid. Theres also good contributions from players like Warner, Gulden, Mclean, Wicks etc.
Having no focal point up fwd must be hard to defend against.. There'll be stats to back that up, but the bottom line is ....
The Swans have scored more points than any other team! so what ever they're doing (including playing Amartey / Logan / McLean) is working better than what any other team is doing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How the hell did we lose against Richmond?
This haunts me in a dream every night since that dreadful day at the 'G a few weeks ago...more-so than 2022 and 2016 GFs combined as I now acknowledge that 1. We were just crap that day in the former and in the latter 2. we weren't the AFL love child that year and it was never going to end in a fairytale. Matt Stevic says hi.

Goes without saying that heading into the Bye round our next 2 games against Freo & Cats are critical.

As been observed by the commentators this round every team in the top 8 plays each other. The next 2 weeks are a must win for us to really show how much the team has matured and how serious we can see to be a challenger.

We can put a gap between us and the rest over the next fortnight. The question remains are we good enough and mature enough to do it.

Goes without saying that heading into the Bye round our next 2 games against Freo & Cats are critical.

As been observed by the commentators this round every team in the top 8 plays each other. The next 2 weeks are a must win for us to really show how much the team has matured and how serious we can see to be a challenger.

We can put a gap between us and the rest over the next fortnight. The question remains are we good enough and mature enough to do it.
We have the capability to do Freo like a dinner. Cats will be our big test.

I wasn't sure where to write this. But I think losing against Richmond was exactly what this team needed at exactly the right time (in a nothing game at the start of the season to light a fire under their asses).

Giants are right, we are a bit young and chirpy and the tigers showed us what could happen if we rest on our laurels. Kinda like how the 1992 dream team were deliberately sabotaged by coach Chuck Daly to lose to a college team to show them what a tragedy it could potentially be.

I'm sure the memory of losing 2022 is still burning. And the tigers loss at the MCG was a reminder.

I get a strong impression members of this team really want success as a team unit if the interviews are anything to go by. Players taking pay cuts was so refreshing to hear from a team outside Geelong.

We gotta pray McCartin is ok and that Hamling will be a good backup.
Here’s hoping Horse has two words on the blackboard for the rest of the season.
Remember Richmond.

Just wanting to point out what the ladder is saying about the Swans..

1st quarter: Swans equal 4th with 6 1st quarter wins
2nd quarter: Swans equal 2nd with 6
3rd quarter: Swans equal 1st with 7
4th quarter: Swans outright 1st with 8 4th quarter wins
Total quarters: Swans outright 1st with 27 quarters won (next best is 22!)

To me this suggests a couple of things..
Firstly.. we are the fittest (endurance) team in the comp. We're getting better as the games goes on and running games out better than I can remember
Secondly.. We're winning the last quarters despite having strong leads at 3/4 time. No more 'protecting the lead', no putting the cue in the rack, just relentless footy until the final siren.. Bloody impressive!
Thirdly.. Am I the only one that was getting sick of the word 'consistency' coming out of Horses mouth? No need anymore Horse, the players (all of them) have heard you and answered the call!

Swans have played 6 of the current top 10 sides. Won every game with a % of 153.4 (another bloody impressive stat)

Swans are outright 1st with 8 wins
Swans are outright 1st on percentage.. 27.6% ahead of the Cats in 2nd !!!
Swans have scored more points than any other team.. and conceded the least amount of points
- Stick that in your premiership window 'On the Couch'
- Does being the best attacking and best defending team answer your questions David King of 'are the Swans are any good within the arcs?' if not.. then are you an idiot? or maybe just biased?? (likely both)
- And finally Montagna said tonight that the top 8 is the most even its ever been, and anyone in the top 8 can win it.
Well yes, of course anyone that makes the finals can win the flag, thats the idea of 8 teams playing finals (idiot).. And no, there is one team that is soooo far ahead of the rest at the moment that you failed to acknowledge (biased idiot)

Montagna setting it up for a Magpie run in the Finals I told you so.
Even worse, there was a very long article yesterday (on SEN, Fox or the AFL website??) but has been removed, titled something like 'The AFL Dreams have come true'.. described how good the three big Vic clubs in Carlton, Bombers and Collingwood are.

I thought the AFL dreamed of a truly national competition? hmmm...

1st quarter: Swans equal 4th with 6 1st quarter wins
2nd quarter: Swans equal 2nd with 6
3rd quarter: Swans equal 1st with 7
4th quarter: Swans outright 1st with 8 4th quarter wins
Total quarters: Swans outright 1st with 27 quarters won (next best is 22!)

What sticks out to me is that our younger boys are reaching a stage where they are able to implement the subtle little changes that are being asked of them by the coaches.

Many times Horse and co are criticised for lacking tactical nous and making changes in-game when it may well have mainly been the result of the rawness of our youth.

Seems that, through experience, they are growing the confidence to apply their own talents and skills to overall team strategies better... understanding that impacting well in multiple contests is great, but not if your engagement at those contests has left the team short-handed in areas of opposition strength.

All just perceptions I know but I feel like Lloydy encapsulates this. He doesn't have anywhere near the flair of Gulden or the power of JMac but having him out there on the wing, reading the play and communicating needs, leaves me feeling confident his area of the field is secure.

Rowbottom, I feel, is one that has particularly learnt "when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em". I'm sure he'd make 20 tackles a game if he hadn't learned to be selective about his contributions and producing quality over quantity. Ollie is another, although I think his grasp on calmly playing his role has been evident for quite a while.

Loving that Maclean is showing initiative further up the ground. Again signs that he is learning to apply his skillset to the broader game plan rather than expending all his energies into contested marks in F50 and kicking goals. And even Amartey throwing his weight around more and getting involved in the mind games with key defenders shows an understanding that not every contribution gets a stat.

Really believe the confidence gained in those first two wins against the Dees and Pies has been crucial to what has happened since. Even go so far as to say the loss to Richmond, and average performances against the Bombers and Weagles, were necessary and important lessons also.

The likes of Warner, Errol and Heeney are making huge plays and getting plenty of attention but it our control, commitment and composure, from one end of the park to the other, that has me feeling very confident about our chances.

Even worse, there was a very long article yesterday (on SEN, Fox or the AFL website??) but has been removed, titled something like 'The AFL Dreams have come true'.. described how good the three big Vic clubs in Carlton, Bombers and Collingwood are.

I thought the AFL dreamed of a truly national competition? hmmm...
LOL - I bet they got smashed in the comments and withdrew it to work on the title.

Back on topic for General Performance.

The Trade brought in this year have met Kinnear's Trade For Need formula. I think all of them have contributed strongly to our performance.

A case could be made around Adams not dominating but I honestly didn't expect him to. We needed some older heads in the middle and both he and Grundy have added some maturity to the midfield that we perhaps lacked. This is especially important with Parker being out. Leadership in the middle cannot be underestimated.

I'd say JJ has perhaps exceeded what some thought he could contribute. I've been strong on him for a while and I'm really happy he's become an integral part of the team for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back