2nds Swans Reserves 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Rowbottom (3 goals, 31 disposal, 3 Marks, 7 tackles, 8i50, 1 r50) and Fox (1 goal 32 disposals, 7 Marks, 12 tackles, 7i50, 4r50) clearly our best by some margin across the 4 quarters.

Ronke I thought it was his best game for some time “effort” wise. He had 18 disposals , 8 Marks and 3 tackles and kicked 2.2. Kept going throughout the four quarters.

A few others had cameos such as McInerney, Stoddart, Thurlow and perhaps Jack (from a disposal point of view) but nothing to get excited about.

Edit: updated stats

Last edited:
Rowbottom (3 goals, 31 disposal, 3 Marks, 7 tackles) and Fox (1 goal 32 disposals, 7 Marks, 12 tackles) clearly our best by some margin across the 4 quarters.

Ronke I thought it was his best game for some time “effort” wise. He had 18 disposals , 8 Marks and 3 tackles and kicked 2.2. Kept going throughout the four quarters.

A few others had cameos such as McInerney, Stoddart, Thurlow and perhaps Jack (from a disposal point of view) but nothing to get excited about.
Rowy really impressed me. Love that shrug he's got. Bit like the Parker shrug.

Rowbottom was outstanding today and seemed to lead from the front all day. Copped a lot but it seemed to only make him better. His goal on the run was Judd-esque and his goal from the angle was Ablett-esque. I'd be happy if he's only a quarter of the player they were/are.

Fox was clean and strong, I would happily have him in the senior team in the place of certain others..

I still like the efforts of Hirst. He's like a little pocket rocket, just bounces from contest to contest like he's on springs on something. Doesn't make much of an impact as is expected of someone his size, but his effort and willingness to throw himself into the game is really pleasing. You could see how much it meant to him to be on an AFL list from that video the Swans posted when he was recruited, and it's clear he's taking it very seriously from the get-go.

Amartey had his best game in defence, but I still like him up forward where his second and third efforts help create scoring opportunities, but I can also see why they persisted with McLean instead who is a better marking target inside 50. McInerney didn't have a great game but he really set the standard early in the first by getting involved when some of our "leaders" were MIA.

Jack is done IMO.

Rowbottom was outstanding today and seemed to lead from the front all day. Copped a lot but it seemed to only make him better. His goal on the run was Judd-esque and his goal from the angle was Ablett-esque. I'd be happy if he's only a quarter of the player they were/are.

Fox was clean and strong, I would happily have him in the senior team in the place of certain others..

I still like the efforts of Hirst. He's like a little pocket rocket, just bounces from contest to contest like he's on springs on something. Doesn't make much of an impact as is expected of someone his size, but his effort and willingness to throw himself into the game is really pleasing. You could see how much it meant to him to be on an AFL list from that video the Swans posted when he was recruited, and it's clear he's taking it very seriously from the get-go.

Amartey had his best game in defence, but I still like him up forward where his second and third efforts help create scoring opportunities, but I can also see why they persisted with McLean instead who is a better marking target inside 50. McInerney didn't have a great game but he really set the standard early in the first by getting involved when some of our "leaders" were MIA.

Jack is done IMO.

Even the border collie owned by an ex Ms B52 turned his nose up at the KJ toast. And that is a huge call.

I really like Joel's A(s)martey. He chucks his body at the contest. He has speed and a will to win. He was by no means in our best today but I admired his sheer bloody - minded willingness to always have a crack.

He's fat and slow but has footy IQ. Aaron Bruce may be a better player than any we have had on the faraway distance of the Rookie List

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans site is preparing us for Jack’s senior recall :rolleyes:

Golly! I could let fly with a cinema Italian expression that references the humble pig and the less than humble religious delusional thinking some are prone to. Best not, I've already had a thread wiped today.

That said, I am cheerful after our mob's solid win last night and plan not to ruin it with reading how KJ's performance:
1. Showed he was ready to return, or;
2 Was a revelation

Golly! I could let fly with a cinema Italian expression that references the humble pig and the less than humble religious delusional thinking some are prone to. Best not, I've already had a thread wiped today.

That said, I am cheerful after our mob's solid win last night and plan not to ruin it with reading how KJ's performance:
1. Showed he was ready to return, or;
2 Was a revelation

I've got Western Power as the first contact saved in my phone in case I blow a fuse come Thursday evening.

Urine extraction time? Decanting it into his pocket?

Seriously, I think I must have watched a different game.

I don’t think it’s that far off the mark, if at all, particularly given it wasn’t a great performance.

It was probably between say Jack, Thurlow, McInerney and Stoddart then there wasn’t much between them on that performance. 7 tackles and his goal might have got him the spot.

I’d probably have given it to Stoddart but I don’t think it’s an outrageous call, as I said, reflects on what was a poor performance overall.

Happy with Ronke getting a spot, I thought he gave a 4 quarter effort.

I don’t think it’s that far off the mark, if at all, particularly given it wasn’t a great performance.

It was probably between say Jack, Thurlow, McInerney and Stoddart then there wasn’t much between them on that performance. 7 tackles and his goal might have got him the spot.

I’d probably have given it to Stoddart but I don’t think it’s an outrageous call, as I said, reflects on what was a poor performance overall.

Happy with Ronke getting a spot, I thought he gave a 4 quarter effort.

Yep. I was happy with Ronke today. Agree he played well and applied himself big time across the whole game.

Realistically only Rowbottom and Fox shone. There was daylight between them and Ronke and two weeks between Ronke and the next best in a pretty drab display.

I travelled down to the game and wish I didn’t. The swans did not work well together and it is something the coaches need to address. It seemed like a string of individual performances. Rowbottom was a standout, but he, mcinerny and stoddard are now completely ignoring far better options (toppies and other listed players) and simply trying to barrage there way through and kick goals. They are clearly desperately trying to get into the seniors by showing their brilliance but it meant the quality of play was very poor.
Canberra are not a very good side and frankly the swans, if they had played decent team footy, would have smashed them.
Quite a different feel to the swans team today, and I guess we are getting to that time of the season where players start to get driven by self interest.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I travelled down to the game and wish I didn’t. The swans did not work well together and it is something the coaches need to address. It seemed like a string of individual performances. Rowbottom was a standout, but he, mcinerny and stoddard are now completely ignoring far better options (toppies and other listed players) and simply trying to barrage there way through and kick goals. They are clearly desperately trying to get into the seniors by showing their brilliance but it meant the quality of play was very poor.
Canberra are not a very good side and frankly the swans, if they had played decent team footy, would have smashed them.
Quite a different feel to the swans team today, and I guess we are getting to that time of the season where players start to get driven by self interest.

I think it goes both ways though.

I don't know how to say this without it sounding harsh, but the top-ups often seem to struggle with the basic fundamentals. Simple hand-ball receives somehow spill to ground, basic 20 metre kicks somehow land at the targets feet or often just miss their targets altogether, and basic passages of play that should be one-two handballs somehow they end up stuffing them up. It's not through lack of effort or even talent but they just can't get it together under pressure. Maybe they feel the pressure even more because their spot in the NEAFL side is uncertain, who knows. There are some who can do it more often than others, like Kilpatrick, but even they have a much worse strike rate at just having effective disposals or involvements than the listed players.
I think guys like Rowbottom, Rose, Fox etc do a lot of the hard work in the NEAFL to get the team, including the toppies, in a good position, only to have all their hard work undone by the poor execution of the fundamentals. So you really can't blame them for adopting the 'climb on my back guys, I'll do it all myself' mentality.

It's not ideal, but I'm also not opposed to it. It was even evident earlier this year in JPK and Parker. It's almost second nature that they are used to doing things themselves and they didn't always bring the guys around them like Hewett, Florent, Jones etc into the game as well as they could have. I think it's actually a reflection of a team-first attitude, not a me-first attitude, that they are willing to work so hard and take on such a heavy load for themselves.

Totally agree.

I think it goes both ways though.

I don't know how to say this without it sounding harsh, but the top-ups often seem to struggle with the basic fundamentals. Simple hand-ball receives somehow spill to ground, basic 20 metre kicks somehow land at the targets feet or often just miss their targets altogether, and basic passages of play that should be one-two handballs somehow they end up stuffing them up. It's not through lack of effort or even talent but they just can't get it together under pressure. Maybe they feel the pressure even more because their spot in the NEAFL side is uncertain, who knows. There are some who can do it more often than others, like Kilpatrick, but even they have a much worse strike rate at just having effective disposals or involvements than the listed players.
I think guys like Rowbottom, Rose, Fox etc do a lot of the hard work in the NEAFL to get the team, including the toppies, in a good position, only to have all their hard work undone by the poor execution of the fundamentals. So you really can't blame them for adopting the 'climb on my back guys, I'll do it all myself' mentality.

It's not ideal, but I'm also not opposed to it. It was even evident earlier this year in JPK and Parker. It's almost second nature that they are used to doing things themselves and they didn't always bring the guys around them like Hewett, Florent, Jones etc into the game as well as they could have. I think it's actually a reflection of a team-first attitude, not a me-first attitude, that they are willing to work so hard and take on such a heavy load for themselves.
I usually tend to agree with you but not on this one, mate. I’ll say two things - firstly, I think the toppies distribution skills are in general no worse than the majority of the listed players in the Reserves and I don’t think the team loses much, if anything, in getting the ball to them. Secondly, if we don’t want the toppies to “feel the pressure” then get them used to ball by, you know, passing to them and getting them involved. Three of the Academy kids had only six touches each today. I highlighted earlier in the comments where one of them, Geddes, was totally burnt by McInerney who looked right at him, ignored him and then proceeded to attempt a ridiculous handball to Rowbottom who promptly got done for holding the ball.

I have to agree with Ralphyboy on this one, this is all about some listed players being desperate to get into the seniors and not caring enough about the team they happen to be playing for today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back