2nds Swans Reserves 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Nobody but you has said anything about them being alike (or not alike)! Hence why I assumed you misunderstood!

We have nobody on our list that is similar to Aliir. Really don’t get your point at all. I am not sure your really have one other than telling someone a player isn’t like another player despite that poster not making that claim...??
Why are you worrying about it ? He said he could be a fill in for AA , they are different type players and i'm sure he can answer for himself.

The other thing is that the centre of Blacktown is a disgrace. It is a rock hard slimy mess. We had James Bell suffer a nasty concussion on that surface, players unable to get any traction, Thurlow did his ankle, and I saw some of the grazes the players had, very nasty.

Unless something is done if I was the swans or any other NEAFL side I wouldn't play on it.

And before anyone starts the "in my day" for a player like James Bell who has had an inconsistent season, he would have been busting to perform to get another contract. To get knocked because of the state of the oval is unacceptable.

The other thing is that the centre of Blacktown is a disgrace. It is a rock hard slimy mess. We had James Bell suffer a nasty concussion on that surface, players unable to get any traction, Thurlow did his ankle, and I saw some of the grazes the players had, very nasty.

Unless something is done if I was the swans or any other NEAFL side I wouldn't play on it.

And before anyone starts the "in my day" for a player like James Bell who has had an inconsistent season, he would have been busting to perform to get another contract. To get knocked because of the state of the oval is unacceptable.

"In my day" the ground wasn't so hard.

But that tackle was deadset dangerous and that the umpire couldn't see that was outrageous. Hopefully the tackler gets weeks.

Disposals

27 Fox
21 Thurlow
18 Jack
14 Stoddart
13 Menzel
12 Wicks
11 Amartey McKellar McLean
10 Hirst Knoll Rayner
8 Foot McInerney
7 Pink
6 Flanagan Sheather
5 Barling Kilpatrick McGrath Swaney
1 Barkley Bell

A lot of missed disposals I reckon, will be keen to see the numbers after adjustments.
Updated disposals numbers
33 Fox
25 Thurlow
20 Jack Wicks
19 McInerney (they missed 11 of his disposals originally - how?)
15 Menzel
14 Stoddart
13 Amartey Flanagan
12 Hirst McKellar McGrath Rayner
11 McLean Knoll Foot
10 Pink Sheather
9 Barling
7 Kilpatrick
6 Swaney
2 Bell
1 Barkley

Updated disposals numbers
33 Fox
25 Thurlow
20 Jack Wicks
19 McInerney (they missed 11 of his disposals originally - how?)
15 Menzel
14 Stoddart
13 Amartey Flanagan
12 Hirst McKellar McGrath Rayner
11 McLean Knoll Foot
10 Pink Sheather
9 Barling
7 Kilpatrick
6 Swaney
2 Bell
1 Barkley
Seriously, How do champion data miss 8 disposals from Sam (Jack) Wicks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stoddart not giving much by the looks? Pretty disappointed to have targeted Ling and Stoddart for specific roles and both looking like busts at this stage.

Any real stats about for yesterday's game?
I'm not to sure about the real stats, I was at this Game, my first impression was the Boys are playing on a cow paddock, this game was played in two halves of footy, swans where on top in the first half, Thurlow was the stand out player til half time, second half as we know went to the Suns, I thought Horlin-Smith turned the Game for the Suns in the second half going head to head with Fox and co in the middle.

I'm not to sure about the real stats, I was at this Game, my first impression was the Boys are playing on a cow paddock, this game was played in two halves of footy, swans where on top in the first half, Thurlow was the stand out player til half time, second half as we know went to the Suns, I thought Horlin-Smith turned the Game for the Suns in the second half going head to head with Fox and co in the middle.

Fox “and co”? It felt like there was nobody in there for us at times!

Fox “and co”? It felt like there was nobody in there for us at times!
I agree.
Seemed like there wasn't really a plan to stop him once he got going.
They threw an academy tagger on Young in the third, and he only got 3 touches and was physically kept out of the play, and when he did get the ball, was immediately smashed. And that's an academy kid!
Why not give Wicks the job on Horlin-Smith? He is fit, fast and loves to tackle.
Too many attacking mids atm, not much two way running going on.
And not a great deal of push and shove and 'holding' the apponent out of the competition.

Welcome new swan 🙂

I agree.
Seemed like there wasn't really a plan to stop him once he got going.
They threw an academy tagger on Young in the third, and he only got 3 touches and was physically kept out of the play, and when he did get the ball, was immediately smashed. And that's an academy kid!
Why not give Wicks the job on Horlin-Smith? He is fit, fast and loves to tackle.
Too many attacking mids atm, not much two way running going on.
And not a great deal of push and shove and 'holding' the apponent out of the competition.

To be fair, weren’t they the deficiencies we were trying to correct in our senior list?

Hasn’t the game moved on from the dour defensive structures?

This is not a personal go at you.

But you could be forgiven for thinking the Swans had a longer term strategy to evolve the side into a more offensive outfit and maybe the 2s are being trained with that in mind.

To be fair, weren’t they the deficiencies we were trying to correct in our senior list?

Hasn’t the game moved on from the dour defensive structures?

This is not a personal go at you.

But you could be forgiven for thinking the Swans had a longer term strategy to evolve the side into a more offensive outfit and maybe the 2s are being trained with that in mind.
I see what you are saying, and I'm not suggesting that we tag out in every game.
But when 2 opposition mids turn the game, then you need a way to stem the flow.
I think the days of tagging at the detriment of your attack is well gone, but to have a hard defender who can also clear the ball and leave when the right moment arises, it makes sense.
The problem we see is that attack is seen as the attractive game, but unless the mids are willing to run both ways and occassionally lean on their opposition to keep the score board from blowing out, we will continue to get beat up.
As a Canterbury Bulldogs fan (not such a good time atm), I too much preferred to watch entertainers, but by God, the Dogs of War who were defense oriented still put some silverware on the shelf.
We always talk about teams defining themselves rather than simply becoming a clone of a previously successful club.
Maybe that is whats needed to make the SCG a fortress again.
Defense that intimidates opposition, then frees up the team to attack.
Maybe I should run that by Horse!?? ;)

I see what you are saying, and I'm not suggesting that we tag out in every game.
But when 2 opposition mids turn the game, then you need a way to stem the flow.
I think the days of tagging at the detriment of your attack is well gone, but to have a hard defender who can also clear the ball and leave when the right moment arises, it makes sense.
The problem we see is that attack is seen as the attractive game, but unless the mids are willing to run both ways and occassionally lean on their opposition to keep the score board from blowing out, we will continue to get beat up.
As a Canterbury Bulldogs fan (not such a good time atm), I too much preferred to watch entertainers, but by God, the Dogs of War who were defense oriented still put some silverware on the shelf.
We always talk about teams defining themselves rather than simply becoming a clone of a previously successful club.
Maybe that is whats needed to make the SCG a fortress again.
Defense that intimidates opposition, then frees up the team to attack.
Maybe I should run that by Horse!?? ;)

I guess it depends on how you view the 2s. Are they a team themselves in their own right or a proving ground for seniors?

Probably a bit of both with the seniors the priority. Interestingly, and he’s not my favourite by any stretch, but if Clarke plays that game it’s an entirely different dynamic.

Agree. And I bet the players don't like heading out there for 'home' games. It'd be a good pr exercise to rotate games around the local clubs on away weeks or squeeze it in after scheduled club games? They'd pull more of a crowd at Drummoyne or Trumper Park. Any idea who makes the decision on venue? Club, NEAFL or NSW AFL?

Agree. And I bet the players don't like heading out there for 'home' games. It'd be a good pr exercise to rotate games around the local clubs on away weeks or squeeze it in after scheduled club games? They'd pull more of a crowd at Drummoyne or Trumper Park. Any idea who makes the decision on venue? Club, NEAFL or NSW AFL?
When the refurbishment of the training ground outside the SCG was announced the Swans also mentioned that it could be used for Reserves games and for AFLW games (if and when we get a team in that comp). So that could still be an option, although I struggle to see how it would be suitable with absolutely zero seating available.

Also, it was announced in April that Henson Park in Marrickville will get a $5M upgrade so that might be another option for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back