Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

We've never had a team quite like this before.
As good as the team was 2012 - 2016, it was a whole different dynamic and game plan to the 2024 version and we were simply too young and inexperienced in 2022.

Disagree personally

Our 2014 team was amazing and the GF result doesn't accurately reflect how good that team was all year.

We've never had a team quite like this before.
As good as the team was 2012 - 2016, it was a whole different dynamic and game plan to the 2024 version and we were simply too young and inexperienced in 2022.

Looking back on the day we were by no means a young team so to speak with a average 116 games experience across the board but compared to Geelong it was stark.

None of that should of been a 80 point difference tho as we beat a very similiar team earlier in that year by 6 goals.

Attachments

• age.jpg
    age.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 20
Looking back on the day we were by no means a young team so to speak with a average 116 games experience across the board but compared to Geelong it was stark.

None of that should of been a 80 point difference tho as we beat a very similiar team earlier in that year by 6 goals.
Pretty sure that Geelong side is still the oldest side to ever be on a footy field. Or it at least was at the time

EDIT: Worth adding that it was the age of our midfield that was quite young. Think the youngest midfield to win a flag was in 2016?

Our midfield was smaller and less experienced. Team overall was in a healthy spot but we got smashed at the bounce.

This article was a nice little.pump up and had a lot going for it until this

"Don’t let any Sydney fan bemoan the loss of COLA to you again while enjoying the benefits of those players running riot."

They still don't get it. Academies are required purely to offset the loss off COLA. Without it we'd be losing players left right and centre and we'd just be feeding all the traditional states.

Should have left that back handed compliment out as it ruined a decent piece.

Like all the Roar’s writers, Cameron Rose is just a passionate amateur.

Which is fine if you’ve put in a lot of work on your own statistical models, close analysis etc. that can produce genuinely insightful, valuable writing.

Some of the best of those guys have even turned their work into paid roles in clubs or the media - the way a certain august member of the bigfooty Swans board has managed.
The writing from the top tier of these amateur analysts is usually much more sophisticated and insightful than what is in the mainstream footy media.

But Cam does none of that. It’s all vibes that shift with the slightest breeze. Go through his article history (and it‘a a long one) - it’s a series of wildly wrong calls.

So i always get a chuckle out of the ‘expert’ in his byline.

Anyway he’s on the record as thinking that Longmire is a bad, uncreative coach who doesn’t have what it takes to win. Weird that he didn’t mention that in this article.

Last edited:
Heh. Swans a bit pissed off at the Giants it seems. As a resuilt there will be no joint press conference for the upcoming Sir Doug Nicholls round.

It turns out the GWS Giants social media team, who are universally regarded as the best, and most cheeky, in the business, may have pushed the envelope a bit too hard in the lead-up to the recent Battle Of The Bridge.

A video highlighting Swans coach John Longmire not pronouncing the name of Giants midfielder Stephen Coniglio properly didn’t go down well at the SCG while there were also some veiled references to the Sam Wicks affair in other posts.

Paywalled article:

Heh. Swans a bit pissed off at the Giants it seems. As a resuilt there will be no joint press conference for the upcoming Sir Doug Nicholls round.

It turns out the GWS Giants social media team, who are universally regarded as the best, and most cheeky, in the business, may have pushed the envelope a bit too hard in the lead-up to the recent Battle Of The Bridge.

A video highlighting Swans coach John Longmire not pronouncing the name of Giants midfielder Stephen Coniglio properly didn’t go down well at the SCG while there were also some veiled references to the Sam Wicks affair in other posts.

Paywalled article:
Yeah couldn't agree more. I have enjoyed the GWS socials but that pre-game video with the references to Wicks really pissed me off

Paywalled article:

Surely we're not that sensitive...

Disagree personally

Our 2014 team was amazing and the GF result doesn't accurately reflect how good that team was all year.
Fine to disagree, I believe the 2014 team was the best Swans team I'd ever seen - up till now, this team is better in my opinion and the GF was heartbreaking and definitely not a reflection of how good we were. My point was that you can't compare the two and we should take history out of it. Back in that era, we didn't play the high possession and precise kicking game that we are playing this year.
After rd 9 in 2014 we were 6-3 with a percentage of 124.9%

Last edited:
Fine to disagree, I believe the 2014 team was the best Swans team I'd ever seen - up till now, this team is better in my opinion and the GF was heartbreaking and definitely not a reflection of how good we were, my point was that you can't compare the two and we should take history out of it. Back in that era, we didn't play the high possession and precise kicking game that we are playing this year.
After rd 9 in 2014 we were 6-3 with a percentage of 124.9.
1987 best Swans team ever kicked 30 goals 3 weeks in a row , too many injuries at the pointy end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A Melbourne based Swan called Mark just called Deewayne Russell complaining of a lack of love for us . Explained himself well , said 8 interstate teams , but really only 1 has a massive fan base in Vic and we get SFA . DR said he picked us for the flag 4 weeks ago. It was good , need more to call .

I'll take your word for that Bedders, I was a Sydney Roosters fan then and still called AFL aerial ping pong!
I loved going back To Easts after wins by us , the best night was after the 96 Prelim , every Swans legends were there and then there was the long drive back to Melbourne

I'll take your word for that Bedders, I was a Sydney Roosters fan then and still called AFL aerial ping pong!

I was 50/50 a Swans and Rabbitohs fan as a kid, but then when the Rabbitohs were booted from the competition I became exclusively a Swans fan and when South Sydney re-entered the competition I just failed to pick them back up again.

I loved going back To Easts after wins by us , the best night was after the 96 Prelim , every Swans legends were there and then there was the long drive back to Melbourne
Best night ever at Easts was after the prelim !! Do you agree when the players made their way in that night they looked a bit like they’d won the grannie ? Also remember a massive queue at Easts to get in, place went off till about 4am that night.

I like how after sympathizing they then go on to dismiss us in the same way as everyone else...

"there may not be an elite team right now but they’re the closest thing to it"

So sitting a game clear with massive percentage, having dealt with every other finals side we've played without breaking a sweat doesn't make us elite? I'd love to know what does, and which teams have previously met this elite criteria.at round 9.

I don't particularly care for the media's recognition. It's nice to hear our game style and players discussed but I don't pine for their approval, I just find it strange how they seem to treat our performance so far as some weird anomaly. "Yeah look, the swans have been great but we know they don't really belong up there"

It's like they have a few sides they really want to talk up as the form team and we're ruining it for them by inconveniently sitting on top of the ladder.

In fairness he does explain why there's still concerns - and that Freo's inaccuracy shouldn't be used to suggest that we were utterly dominant over them when we weren't.

Paywalled article:

Think we need to grow up a little. Even I chuckled at their Wicks jokes. Social media isn't for you if you get wound up by that stuff.

Good! Sometimes you just have to know where the line is, and not cross it. Jacob is good, but maybe just a little too OTT.

1987 best Swans team ever kicked 30 goals 3 weeks in a row , too many injuries at the pointy end.

I was only a little signet then but I can imagine a midfield of Healy, Williams, Wright, Mitchell & Carroll would have gone alright. My all time favourite Swan in Mark Bayes probably would have been a handy young recruit at that stage too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back