Preview Sydney v GWS-

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swans always get pushed around. We are far too nice. Not one nutter in the team that just might knock someone TFO if they cross the line. (Possible exception of Ladhams). Been like this for years. In a physical contest game like this you need one or two of those types to make the opposition think twice IMO. Not that they need do it, but the threat of someone coming to remonstrate with a haymaker to even things up has to be credible.
May for Melbourne, Robinson for Brisbane have that look IMO, that if you take it too far, you just might pay a heavy price.
Completely agree. Don't have to go as far as Mumford who spent the last 5 years of his career trying to hurt blokes, but we're far too easily intimidated physically.

Swans always get pushed around. We are far too nice. Not one nutter in the team that just might knock someone TFO if they cross the line. (Possible exception of Ladhams). Been like this for years. In a physical contest game like this you need one or two of those types to make the opposition think twice IMO. Not that they need do it, but the threat of someone coming to remonstrate with a haymaker to even things up has to be credible.
May for Melbourne, Robinson for Brisbane have that look IMO, that if you take it too far, you just might pay a heavy price.
Didn't you watch the Richmond game ffs

Calm down champ, just giving my opinion like everyone else.
All good Guv, half expecting a big footy forum style/media watch on Monday night and holding posters to account for incorrect aspersions!!

Glad you have got back into the swing of things!!

There is no issue with parker in the middle when we have numbers peeling off around him. When there's nothing he reverts to the dump kick. Unfortunately when things aren't clicking it makes everyone look poor even if they're not necessarily the main reason for it.
Haven’t seen the stats but for the amount of time spent in the middle I would think he is at his lowest point for a while with clearances.

All good Guv, half expecting a big footy forum style/media watch on Monday night and holding posters to account for incorrect aspersions!!

Glad you have got back into the swing of things!!

More than happy to declare I thought he needed to move on 4 years ago. However he recognised his strengths and weaknesses and got Pyke in to devise our game plan and variants, stuff he was incapable of.

Love him or hate him that walked out the door with Barry Hall. Like it or not it had a massive impact in 05 & 06.

Good post. Spot on about Horse wanting to utilise players he trusts.

I can understand people not agreeing with the approach, especially in hindsight, but IMO it was absolutely justifiable.
The approach is worth a shot and yeah I didn't mind it to start with. But to persist for 3qtrs? It's almost like he still had hope it'll work. Mills has worked out well in defence many times before, but in games where we weren't inept in the middle and before he became our best mid.

3rd game in for Gould and we'll likely still not find out how he fares in a starting defence. Same goes for Francis. Wasted opportunity under the circumstances. We can't just rely on mills if our defenders go down at the pointy end.

I mean Mills playing in defence was a mistake because it took him out of the midfield, but he did a much better job of playing on Hawkins than Gould did. Should have always been Francis though.

Exactly this. I could’ve done the same job as Gould. 3 possessions and 1 mark in well over a half when Hawkins went berserk. Mills was heaps better than Gould. Francis probably should’ve been given a go earlier.

Anyway, we have been in a s**t situation with our injuries and none of that is anyone’s fault including our coaches.

Exactly this. I could’ve done the same job as Gould. 3 possessions and 1 mark in well over a half when Hawkins went berserk. Mills was heaps better than Gould. Francis probably should’ve been given a go earlier.

Anyway, we have been in a s**t situation with our injuries and none of that is anyone’s fault including our coaches.
Need to get done in the middle before you get done in defence. Play players in their position, cop it, then switch it up. I just don't agree with the order it happened in. And doesn't help Gould coming in halfway after watching us get belted. Wouldn't fill his boots with much confidence.

It was preservation tactics rather than backing the team. Swapping significant roles can be very unsettling. We've got multiple players not playing their usual role all over the field now when the chance was there to make direct swaps. Mills, jmac, Francis, Cunningham, Clarke, Campbell, Hayward, heeney, mclean, even Blakey playing key instead of the slingshot when it could be francis. We're completely disjointed.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to get done in the middle before you get done in defence. Play players in their position, cop it, then switch it up. I just don't agree with the order it happened in. And doesn't help Gould coming in halfway after watching us get belted. Wouldn't fill his boots with much confidence.

It was preservation tactics rather than backing the team. Swapping significant roles can be very unsettling. We've got multiple players not playing their usual role all over the field now when the chance was there to make direct swaps. Mills, jmac, Francis, Cunningham, Clarke, Campbell, Hayward, heeney, mclean, even Blakey playing key instead of the slingshot when it could be francis. We're completely disjointed.
Ted Lasso total football style.

I'll be interested to see where Longmire coach's from.

It might be recency bias, but the whole set up seems to work better with Horse at ground level and the assistants up in the box.

I thought that too. Think it was Port game where he lost his cool that persuaded him back to the Box

There’s a bloke called Franklin who gets cited pretty frequently for clobbering opponents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back