Podcast Tackling....more than just getting a free kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Our biggest issue is our inability to stop an opponent with a tackle.

Countless times opposition players just run through our guys without fear of being impeded.

It costs us every week and been an issue since Craigy.

This needs to he fixed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tackling is part technique, part effort and part being there in the first place.

Can't say we're ticking any of those boxes at the moment.

Tackling is part technique, part effort and part being there in the first place.

Can't say we're ticking any of those boxes at the moment.
One of the frustrations in this is that our guys do tend to get into decent position often.

Then fail to stick the tackle. Giving a token effort hoping to get a stat.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We almost always hold on for a split second less than we need.

Tackling has a lot to do with mindset.

We tackle like we're afraid of getting hurt.

We simply hold onto them at arms length.

The best tacklers either throw themselves at the opposition (i.e. Charlie Cameron) or attempt to knock the ball free while grappling their opponent to earn a dropping the ball free (Pendlebury is remarkably good at this).

The best tacklers either throw themselves at the opposition (i.e. Charlie Cameron) or attempt to knock the ball free while grappling their opponent to earn a dropping the ball free (Pendlebury is remarkably good at this).
Ironically the one who attempts to tackle properly is DMac..... he just doesn't have the strength.

We just grab them around the waist, spin them around for a bit while they handball it away.

We just grab them around the waist, spin them around for a bit while they handball it away.

It's how you'd tackle someone at training (not wearing mouthguards).

I remember quite a few years ago we had some sporting body from a different code come in to teach us how to tackle better. Anyone remember? Not that it worked

Unfortunately tackling is as much mindset as it is technique. Which considering where the club is at no wonder we hadn't done well in this regard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back