Tadhg KENNELLY: "It should of been a free kick to Sampi in 2005"

Remove this Banner Ad

arfadunger

Club Legend
Apr 16, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
If you're interested in listening to football people's stories, get Fox Footy, if only to watch the Open Mike series of interviews by Mike Sheehan. This week he had Tadhg Kennelly as his guest. Anyway I found it interesting that Kennelly openly admitted that he had hold of Sampi and it should of been a free kick paid to Sampi when Barry took that mark just before the siren in 2005, "but it would of been a brave umpire to pay it." In fact he said that he had hold of him so tightly that he ripped the 2005 GF badge off his jumper.

The reason I hate Sydney is mainly because in that era they constantly held and scragged their opponents, but would rarely get pinged. That and Hall should never have been able to play, plus there was a soft free kick paid against Cox in the ruck when everything else was being let go, which resulted in a goal to Hall and (IMO) changed the momentum of the game.

Good thing that I've got past that and I'm not bitter. Having said that, I'm looking forward to reading Robert Walls' articles talking about Collingwood's 1990 tainted premiership.

One free kick didn't decide the match - you could play the what-if game on every decision.

On the photo it's a clear free kick not only from Kennelly, but also LRT with no eyes on the ball.

Not to mention, we are assuming Sampi would kick the goal from 35m out on a 45 degree angle.

We ended up 1and1 and that was a pretty fair result from those two finals series

It's fun to hold onto those things but nobody is actually paying that as a free. Plus Sampi would probably have missed anyway.

Love me some Sydney, no issue with how that went down because it made 2006 all the better.

I started a different timeline at that moment. Sampi kicked the goal but Braun lost his arm in a house fire.

One free kick didn't decide the match - you could play the what-if game on every decision.

On the photo it's a clear free kick not only from Kennelly, but also LRT with no eyes on the ball.

Not to mention, we are assuming Sampi would kick the goal from 35m out on a 45 degree angle.

We ended up 1and1 and that was a pretty fair result from those two finals series
Exactly. There's usually a potential free kick or two in most marking contests.

Old news mate, everyone knows it should have been a free but like he said a very brave umpire would have paid that, in a huge pack like that its easy to pick out many potential frees but best for the game to let the play go on. As stated before, it made 06 so much sweeter, and you never know, maybe if we won it on 05 we wouldnt have had that burning ambition to make up for it and not even made it in 06. Full of what ifs and could haves, done and dusted, 1 each is pretty fair in the end, Im sure we could look at the 06 tape and find a free or 2 that could have gone against us and helped the swans, happens in every game, every week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It still annoys me to this day. Mainly because of the whole Leo Barry's mark is one of the best ever in a GF, Lerry Barry you star crap.... should've been a free to Judd as well. And for those who reckon Sampi would've missed it, I reckon otherwise. He was a solid set shot from memory and he liked that pocket of the G.

It still annoys me to this day. Mainly because of the whole Leo Barry's mark is one of the best ever in a GF, Lerry Barry you star crap.... should've been a free to Judd as well. And for those who reckon Sampi would've missed it, I reckon otherwise. He was a solid set shot from memory and he liked that pocket of the G.
Better than solid. London to a brick he would have kicked it.

It would have resulted in Gardiner earning the least deserved premiership medal in history though....

2008_SEABYMark_med.jpg

As has been said, 1-1 after those two years was probably a fair result. I would have been bitter if we had lost 2006 as well, but even in 2005, I found it hard to begrudge Sydney/South Melbourne their first premiership in 70 plus years. Also, i was in London with some really cool Sydney fans.

Everytime I think of that grandfinal :( I think of that frigging Irish jig Kennelly did up on the stage when collecting his medal! That aggravated the sh!t out of me and still does! I couldn't have coped if we lost in 06!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back