Unsolved Taman Shud Case

Remove this Banner Ad

Redacted

Team Captain
Sep 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't know when this 'tree' was created, however I believe the 'great nephew' could be the same chap who came to me in around 2012 claiming to be my 1/2 brother. Initially he introduced himself as Carl Thomson, later stating his full name as James Carl Thomson. He was wanting to re-establish his relationship with our father Max McIntyre. He claimed his Mother's name was Caroline and she was the daughter of Quentin Thomson. Caroline died when he was a child (about age 6), thus raised by his Grandfather Quentin Thomson. James inserted himself into my family and my brother's life, and also into our extended family (Aunts, Uncles, cousins etc.) and he was accepted. He even spend some weeks living with Max at Stansbury (York Peninsula) as well. Wanting to establish his paternity claims re- Max, James and Max were DNA tested and the results were positive. I was given a copy as proof. But there were some other things that didn't add up. This concerned James search for his own birth certificate, and also Caroline's. Due to the Reynolds I.D. card and SM investigation, I asked police for some confirmation re-Caroline Thomson, however they could find no record of her existence at that time. There seemed to be no death certificate either, and nothing shown in obituary notices. Caroline was a mystery. Certainly James drivers licence etc. appeared genuine. When James had a short stay in hospital, I visited him. Prior to the nurse administering his medication, she stated his full name and date of birth before giving him tablets. This supported the identity and DOB he'd previously given me. Over a 6 month period, James helped us gather information as well. Then suddenly he demanded copy of his DNA results to be placed in an envelope and returned to him, followed by an email instructing me to cease all contact. And then James vanish from our lives. In the lead up, I'd queried a few things 'that didn't add up', but otherwise, I thought all was well. When our father Max McIntyre died 13/6/17, we thought we'd hear from James (Max's death received media cover), but there's been no word from James Thomson since. To backtrack....James also took my brothers DNA and stated it was a match (brothers sharing same father), but I don't believe my brother ever saw the paperwork. We've since been left wondering whether James substituted my brothers DNA for his own, in order to obtain a positive result for Max's paternity. We can only speculate that he may have created fraudulent documents, and was 'found out'... and took off. We still don't know who James really is. There's little point in my filling the gaps in a family tree where James...aka Carl Thomson is concerned, as I still don't know if he's genuinely related to either the McIntyre's or the Thomsons.
In the end, I've had to create one, as he seems to of abandoned his genealogy efforts.

I haven't bothered with his claimed line beyond his GGF. There were other siblings of Prosper that were missing from his tree anyhow, but he was operating in a vacuum of knowledge I suspect. I haven't added everyone at this point, as my focus is upon establishing any likely candidates for Somerton Man, in the off chance that he's a relative, or finding areas in which i can research acquaintances in space and time of relatives which may of been in contact with Jessica when she conceived Robin. Having said that, there's no definitive proof as yet that Robin is SM's child or that SM is related to the father.

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Redacted

Team Captain
Sep 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Riddle me this.
If he died on the way back to Norway in 1940, then how does he show up in the Denmark Census, later that same year?

Possibly, that was his place of residence and they, the parents, had not heard of his death?
No, because his mother was a Norwegian living in Norway (died there 1950). Information from a family member. His biological father was living in the USA and his step-father was living in Norway.
Genealogical entry for Charles Mikkelsen

Last edited:

Redacted

Team Captain
Sep 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
OK, Clive is on to the land registry and he believes we can find some records, may take a day or so, in the meantime he has sent me the following to be shared with you:

Per TROVE, "Advertiser" 17 Jul 1946 Page 15, Elder's Trustees were
holding an auction on 30 Jul 1946, on behalf of the estate of the late
Mr R.E. Allen for the properties/land at 90, 90 a & b Moseley Street and
various other properties/land in Somerton Park.

Just been looking at Sands & McDougall registers. Apparently, this
section of Moseley Street was in the suburb of 'New Glenelg'.

In 1947 a H.A. Lyndan is noted at 90a Moseley Street. (We know that
Prosper was living at this address by October 1947). H.A. Lyndan could
have been the previous tenant?

In 1948, an A.Ross is noted at this address, since Thomson was still at
this address, it's possible that A. Ross was the owner/landlord?

Not so good on the car registration front. All records pre-1960 no longer exist at least not formally. You'd have to think that somewhere out there in researcher land even back then, someone would have found a way of getting a copy? Maybe a start would be through the numerous local historical associations? I know Glenelg has an active one but not sure about a broader South Australian society?
Did Clive have any further luck with finding out who this A Ross was that owned the house? Is it possible to try a historic property titles search for the name Alexander David Ross? This is a long shot, Professor Alexande David Ross was a Physicist working on Defence projects during the war, He may of had an interest in acquiring property in Adelaide if he expected to be working on British Atomic Weapons Research and Testing. It's maybe not outside the realm of possibility therefore to see if he turned the use of his property over to his contacts in the Security Services as a safe house or something.

Gordon1552

Senior List
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No, because his mother was a Norwegian living in Norway (died there 1950). Information from a family member. His biological father was living in the USA and his step-father was living in Norway.
I have some very good friends who live in Christiansand, I will ask them to do a local follow up.

Gordon1552

Senior List
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Byron, a question, could the mother have included him on the resident's names for the census?

Gordon1552

Senior List
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Byron, do you have copies of the documents that I can pass on to my Norwegian friends?

Redacted

Team Captain
Sep 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Danish archives (no subscription required but only searchable by address)

There are quite a few genealogical sites, such as My Heritage, offering search of these by name, however subscription is required)

Stop press: As of a few hours ago, The Danish archives indexing project has begun to make the census archives searchable by individual. They've only got as far as 1930 though

Here is the link to bookmark >

Last edited:

Redacted

Team Captain
Sep 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
It's a shame that the Australian Officer who dealt with his application to stay in Australia didn't keep a copy of the registered mail envelope, nir has the NAA copied all the pages of his handwritten application to stay in Australia

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gordon1552

Senior List
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Danish archives (no subscription required but only searchable by address)

There are quite a few genealogical sites, such as My Heritage, offering search of these by name, however subscription is required)

Stop press: As of a few hours ago, The Danish archives indexing project has begun to make the census archives searchable by individual. They've only got as far as 1930 though

Here is the link to bookmark >

I thought it was Norwegian archives?

Redacted

Team Captain
Sep 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I thought it was Norwegian archives?
Nope. It was the Denmark Census were he shows up after he was supposed to of died on the way to Norway. That's not unreasonable if he did not die as claimed, as he was a seaman and Norway to Denmark is a busy sea route. Besides which, his ship was captured, so it was probably sent to Denmark for repairs and to be repurposed for use by the Germans as a raider. What exactly became of the ship and the crew is mentioned in the Atlantis log.

But if he died in the Indian Ocean, then it should be impossible to be on any census taken after your dead. Unless there are two people using the same identity. And that is not improbable if one of those people has stolen the other's identity for a nefarious purpose.

Last edited:

B Deveson

Draftee
Feb 26, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
[/I should also say that Charles' great nephew told me that Charles' mother had been informed of his death and was given a small sum as compensation for his death by the Tirranna's owners.

B Deveson

Draftee
Feb 26, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Nope. It was the Denmark Census were he shows up after he was supposed to of died on the way to Norway. That's not unreasonable if he did not die as claimed, as he was a seaman and Norway to Denmark is a busy sea route. Besides which, his ship was captured, so it was probably sent to Denmark for repairs and to be repurposed for use by the Germans as a raider. What exactly became of the ship and the crew is mentioned in the Atlantis log.

But if he died in the Indian Ocean, then it should be impossible to be on any census taken after your dead. Unless there are two people using the same identity. And that is not improbable if one of those people has stolen the other's identity for a nefarious purpose.

Notice the scar running from the left side of the bridge of Charles' nose down to underneath his left eye (passport photo)? Look at SM's autopsy photo and note the piece of something covering that part of the nose showing a scar in Charles' passport photo. “What are the odds” as Marmaduke's bookmaker mate would say? Look at an enlargement of Charles' left eye pupil. Irregular? That is called iris coloboma and is quite rare (1 in 3,500 from memory). And what did the autopsy pathologist report about SM's pupils? Smaller than normal and irregular (ie. Irregular edge = coloboma). What are the odds?

Oh, and Charles mentions that he was involved in land clearing and, from memory, Keith Mangnoson identified SM as being a Scandinavian “Carl Thompsen” with whom Mangnoson had worked about 1939 in South Australia on land clearing. The “Cheltenham woman” identified SM as a Norwegian shoe maker born circa 1902 who spoke good English and liked to quote the last line of the Rubaiyat. She met him on Kangaroo Island in about 1932 and when she last heard of Charles he was staying at a guest house at Glenelg.

Lastly, Paul Lawson reported that a family from Kangaroo Island took the time and effort to come over twice to view the body. Charles Mikkelsen did work for a time on Kangaroo Island (Australian Archives records).

What are the odds?

Oh, further, iris coloboma has been in the news lately. The Madeleine McCann case.

Redacted

Team Captain
Sep 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Notice the scar running from the left side of the bridge of Charles' nose down to underneath his left eye (passport photo)? Look at SM's autopsy photo and note the piece of something covering that part of the nose showing a scar in Charles' passport photo. “What are the odds” as Marmaduke's bookmaker mate would say? Look at an enlargement of Charles' left eye pupil. Irregular? That is called iris coloboma and is quite rare (1 in 3,500 from memory). And what did the autopsy pathologist report about SM's pupils? Smaller than normal and irregular (ie. Irregular edge = coloboma). What are the odds?

Oh, and Charles mentions that he was involved in land clearing and, from memory, Keith Mangnoson identified SM as being a Scandinavian “Carl Thompsen” with whom Mangnoson had worked about 1939 in South Australia on land clearing. The “Cheltenham woman” identified SM as a Norwegian shoe maker born circa 1902 who spoke good English and liked to quote the last line of the Rubaiyat. She met him on Kangaroo Island in about 1932 and when she last heard of Charles he was staying at a guest house at Glenelg.

Lastly, Paul Lawson reported that a family from Kangaroo Island took the time and effort to come over twice to view the body. Charles Mikkelsen did work for a time on Kangaroo Island (Australian Archives records).

What are the odds?

Oh, further, iris coloboma has been in the news lately. The Madeleine McCann case.
An angioma above his eye is mentioned by the doctor in his medical examination for his application to stay in Australia back in tthe 30's. It is also wuite evident in his passport photo where you can clearly see that it has caused swelling of his eyelid. It's all there in his NAA file. He could've had it surgically removed if it started to bother him, leaving a scar. The appendicitis is clearly stated in his NAA file also.

Last edited:

B Deveson

Draftee
Feb 26, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
An angioma above his eye is mentioned by the doctor in his medical examination for his application to stay in Australia back in tthe 30's. It is also wuite evident in his passport photo where you can clearly see that it has caused swelling of his eyelid. It's all there in his NAA file. He could've had it surgically removed if it started to bother him, leaving a scar. The appendicitis is clearly stated in his NAA file also.

Yes. Angiomas can occur almost anywhere. And angiomas can be caused by trauma. SM was particular about his appearance and so it appears was Charles. So it is possible that Charles had the eyelid angioma removed.

The iris coloboma evident in Charles' passport photo is more characteristic of iris coloboma caused by an injury rather than being congenital. So, maybe the scar and the angioma could also have come from an injury around the eye/nose area.

Notice that Charles' hairline around his part has been retouched? Retouched? A passport photo? Could the photo have been adjusted so as to fit two separate seamen?

I think that the evidence of Charles' lenient treatment by the Australian authorities points to him being some sort of “useful”.

Denmark at the time of the 1940 Danish Census was behind German lines. My bet is that Charles saw an opportunity when the gun crew were blown away. Their bodies would have mostly been blown overboard. My partner's father suffered the same fate manning the 4 inch deck gun (no protection) on HMAS Canberra during the Battle of Savo in 1942. Eye witnesses said the crew “just disappeared”. Charles was a passenger, he had been in Australia since 1923 so would have been investigated by the Germans and interrogated. A stupid journalist (and editor) published the fact that the Norwegian passengers were going back to Norway to fight the Germans! He was not a crew member and could not have even received any training for the deck gun because he was not a crew member and was not in Melbourne at the time of the training.

My suspicion is that Charles survived and got back to Norway (behind German lines) and then took the opportunity to slip into Denmark where somebody got him registered in the Census and so put him under cover. As a seaman in Denmark he would have been useful to allied intelligence.

The alternative is that, like many of the surviving crew members from the Tirranna he went to Russia and the Russians inserted him into Denmark and legitimised him via Census entries. The Russians (USSR) did the same thing in Australia with birth and other records and were still doing it in the 1970s (see the case of the crooked Scotland Yard detective John Alexander Symonds (the “Romeo Spy”). Symonds spent some time in Australia “tomb stoning” (stealing the identities of deceased children and applying for Australian passports for KGB use in their names).

Peter Wright (“Spy Catcher”) said that Lionel Murphy's birth record was inserted into the official records at a later date.

B Deveson

Draftee
Feb 26, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes. Angiomas can occur almost anywhere. And angiomas can be caused by trauma. SM was particular about his appearance and so it appears was Charles. So it is possible that Charles had the eyelid angioma removed.

The iris coloboma evident in Charles' passport photo is more characteristic of iris coloboma caused by an injury rather than being congenital. So, maybe the scar and the angioma could also have come from an injury around the eye/nose area.

Notice that Charles' hairline around his part has been retouched? Retouched? A passport photo? Could the photo have been adjusted so as to fit two separate seamen?

I think that the evidence of Charles' lenient treatment by the Australian authorities points to him being some sort of “useful”.

Denmark at the time of the 1940 Danish Census was behind German lines. My bet is that Charles saw an opportunity when the gun crew were blown away. Their bodies would have mostly been blown overboard. My partner's father suffered the same fate manning the 4 inch deck gun (no protection) on HMAS Canberra during the Battle of Savo in 1942. Eye witnesses said the crew “just disappeared”. Charles was a passenger, he had been in Australia since 1923 so would have been investigated by the Germans and interrogated. A stupid journalist (and editor) published the fact that the Norwegian passengers were going back to Norway to fight the Germans! He was not a crew member and could not have even received any training for the deck gun because he was not a crew member and was not in Melbourne at the time of the training.

My suspicion is that Charles survived and got back to Norway (behind German lines) and then took the opportunity to slip into Denmark where somebody got him registered in the Census and so put him under cover. As a seaman in Denmark he would have been useful to allied intelligence.

The alternative is that, like many of the surviving crew members from the Tirranna he went to Russia and the Russians inserted him into Denmark and legitimised him via Census entries. The Russians (USSR) did the same thing in Australia with birth and other records and were still doing it in the 1970s (see the case of the crooked Scotland Yard detective John Alexander Symonds (the “Romeo Spy”). Symonds spent some time in Australia “tomb stoning” (stealing the identities of deceased children and applying for Australian passports for KGB use in their names).

Peter Wright (“Spy Catcher”) said that Lionel Murphy's birth record was inserted into the official records at a later date.
I note that the doctor did not say that Charles had an appendectomy, merely that he was treated for appendicitis. In the largely pre-antibiotic era a doctor would not operate in a remote tropical island such as Thursday Island unless there was clear evidence of a ruptured appendix. He would not risk operating merely for a rumbling appendix. In any case the Doctor would have clearly stated if Charles had an appendectomy.

Redacted

Team Captain
Sep 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I note that the doctor did not say that Charles had an appendectomy, merely that he was treated for appendicitis. In the largely pre-antibiotic era a doctor would not operate in a remote tropical island such as Thursday Island unless there was clear evidence of a ruptured appendix. He would not risk operating merely for a rumbling appendix. In any case the Doctor would have clearly stated if Charles had an appendectomy.
If Charles had an appendectomy, he would've been certified unfit for a lot longer than he was IMO. My wife was sent to a ward for a week when she went to the ER with appendicitis. They didn't operate. They said that most cases don't require surgery.
My dad had an appendectomy when he was a kid. Turned out much later that he had Crohn disease.
Now, if Charles was misdiagnosed.... and the pain was something else.... like whatever was asiling SM?
Something that's been giving him an ache since 1935... maybe the quacks in 1948 told him it was probably something terminal .. too many schnapps? Maybe he would've bugged a nurse he once knew to do some euthanasia?

Redacted

Team Captain
Sep 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast

Charles was in Australia twice before the Thursday Island arrival.
Plenty of time to do all these jobs.
It wasn't until after his New Zealand sojourn where he met a girl, and then got deported, that he decided to make a formal application to stay in Australia. It would seem that he might not of ever got told that his application was successful. Which one has to assume, because he had previously always got booted out, that if he did in fact survive the war, may of lead him to surreptitiously come back under an assumed name hiding his actual identity in the false belief that he would've got thrown out again.

Last edited:

Redacted

Team Captain
Sep 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Some 800 Norwegians were trained by the SOE. By wars end they were responsible for the coordination of 40,000 members of the Norwegian resistance. It was imperative that their identities were never discovered lest family members in Norway would suffer reprisals. If Mikkelsen found his way to Britain and joined the SOE, he might've assumed a new identity and a new purpose in life, maybe even being recruited by MI5?

Last edited:

B Deveson

Draftee
Feb 26, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
If Charles had an appendectomy, he would've been certified unfit for a lot longer than he was IMO. My wife was sent to a ward for a week when she went to the ER with appendicitis. They didn't operate. They said that most cases don't require surgery.
My dad had an appendectomy when he was a kid. Turned out much later that he had Crohn disease.
Now, if Charles was misdiagnosed.... and the pain was something else.... like whatever was asiling SM?
Something that's been giving him an ache since 1935... maybe the quacks in 1948 told him it was probably something terminal .. too many schnapps? Maybe he would've bugged a nurse he once knew to do some euthanasia?

Agreed. The doctor would have waited until the abdominal pain subsided and then advised Charles to go back to Australia just in case it flared up again. I believe that SM showed signs of having some form of connective tissue disease and stomach pain similar to a rumbling appendix can occur with some forms of connective tissue disease. I know because I have got it and I have it.

Gordon1552

Senior List
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

What are the odds?

A shoemaker's hands are rough, it is quite hard manual work and it marks the hands and fingers quite noticeably. Whilst SMs fingerprints, especially the thumb and index finger show some signs of wear, the rest of the prints are relatively smooth and clean. It is a pity that they didn't take palm prints.

Remove this Banner Ad