Tasmania set to apply for a provisional AFL licence (aiming to enter competition by 2025)

Remove this Banner Ad

Tasmanian saint

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Next minute

‘But I’m tots fine with the Tasmanian government throwing a lifeline to my very little, broke football club’

Double standard much?

Just hope they don’t bail again (like 2006) and go back to the afl for another guarantee (like 2008) :)
Na mate I will leave the begging for Jeff Kennett I have no interest in st kilda selling any games we have finally got a decent team

Hawkk

Hall of Famer
Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Na mate I will leave the begging for Jeff Kennett I have no interest in st kilda selling any games we have finally got a decent team

plus 19m debt and 5 members?

As Melbourne 2018 will tell you, one swallow does not a summer make.

Heck you made b2b grand finals in 2009-10 and you’re still broke and a very little football club.

Not to mention the several million Hawthorn has paid in ‘equalisation’ taxes over the past decade have fundamentally guaranteed your football clubs existence

Tasmanian saint

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
plus 19m debt and 5 members?

As Melbourne 2018 will tell you, one swallow does not a summer make.

Heck you made b2b grand finals in 2009-10 and you’re still broke and a very little football club.

Not to mention the several million Hawthorn has paid in ‘equalisation’ taxes over the past decade have fundamentally guaranteed your football clubs existence
No need to be salty mate I know it sucks loosing your cash cow the tip at dingley will be sitting idle for a while now 👍

Verdun

Premium Gold
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Subsiding your tourism industry. That's why you do it.

If he pulled the pin on North and the Hawks at the end of this year, it's a decision of his government, not the AFL. And when tourism operators start getting shirty as their income declines, they would be best to remember that.
Yep just imagine how the tourism industry would do with our own team, no need to subsidise North Melbourne. North need to stand on their own feet and stop being subsidised by Tasmania.

tassielions

Debutant
Nov 12, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
I’m with the premier the AFL have basically played Tasmania as fools for the last two decades. It’s about time we hold the cards footy is dying in tassie. East Devonport looks like it might fold its senior team, the state league has no team in the nw coast participation is low. the AFL have held tassie in contempt we are the cash cow that finance hawthorn an my team NM. They fixture poor drawing teams and wonder why the crowds are dropping.there is onlyy so many times we can watch eagles Fremantle port Adelaide each year. I hope the jack jumpers concept is successful like the hurricanes. Cricket could have left tassie Out when they reformatted the big bash league to franchise model but didn’t. time for Tassie to grab the pitch forks and assemble the angry mob and say we aren’t copping this anymore.

Jazny

Watching the Sunset
Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tasmanian Jack Jumpers
Cricket could have left tassie Out when they reformatted the big bash league to franchise model but didn’t. time for Tassie to grab the pitch forks and assemble the angry mob and say we aren’t copping this anymore.
That's because cricket isn't run by stuffy boring old business people who ruin everything and only care about numbers. AFL headquarters are a bunch of embarrassing nerds who think AFL is just a commodity to try and maximise profits and they have no clue what they are doing. That's why they came up with:

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1
I’m with the premier the AFL have basically played Tasmania as fools for the last two decades. It’s about time we hold the cards footy is dying in tassie. East Devonport looks like it might fold its senior team, the state league has no team in the nw coast participation is low. the AFL have held tassie in contempt we are the cash cow that finance hawthorn an my team NM. They fixture poor drawing teams and wonder why the crowds are dropping.there is onlyy so many times we can watch eagles Fremantle port Adelaide each year. I hope the jack jumpers concept is successful like the hurricanes. Cricket could have left tassie Out when they reformatted the big bash league to franchise model but didn’t. time for Tassie to grab the pitch forks and assemble the angry mob and say we aren’t copping this anymore.
Huffing & puffing wont work, you have to be prepared to fold your cards & take the money OFF the table. Short term pain is nothing compared to whatl you've copped it for generations.

Verdun

Premium Gold
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Huffing & puffing wont work, you have to be prepared to fold your cards & take the money OFF the table. Short term pain is nothing compared to whatl you've copped it for generations.
Yep time to walk away from throwing $'s at the AFL.

North sell games, the Hawks sold a sponsorship deal.
Sell / sold - not sure what Tasmania has been paying for has been worth the investment. Both Hawthorn and North have benefited Tasmania not as much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jazny

Watching the Sunset
Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tasmanian Jack Jumpers
Anyone suggesting the Northern Territory as a 20th team is in fantasy land. They wouldn't have more than 6,000 members at most.

If you're going to 20. The third team would surely need to be a third Perth side.

Running a national sport competition should be all about maximising numbers by creating soulless corporate franchises in growing markets, and not about giving people a product that they can care about and support.

footyfan1978

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
I think the Tasmanian Saints has a good ring to it though :) Nick might make it happen :tongueoutv1:
The are the only relocation there that may ever work.
The connection with Baldock and Riewoldt is probably enough to sell the idea for a lot of locals.
If they renamed themselves Southern Saints and relocated there it would have some hurdles but eventually probably work like South Melbourne relocating to Sydney. Still, I prefer and hope Tassie get their own team from scratch with some green in their jumper.

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1
The are the only relocation there that may ever work.
The connection with Baldock and Riewoldt is probably enough to sell the idea for a lot of locals.
If they renamed themselves Southern Saints and relocated there it would have some hurdles but eventually probably work like South Melbourne relocating to Sydney. Still, I prefer and hope Tassie get their own team from scratch with some green in their jumper.
So you accept a relocation will be a very long wait for success - Melburnians were whinging about Gold Coast after a couple of years & it wasnt even a relocation.
A disastrous weakening of our game to put another 2nd tier list in to the player pool.
Tas do indeed deserve a team & not one weakened by a history of failure.

Remove this Banner Ad