Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are worried they won't get as many handouts no doubt.
That is my thoughts.
A club that has received 10's of millions in handouts in its existence and isn't even treading water and rely on freebies and away fans to draw any sort of crowd, and where more than half their half crowds are away fans except when they play GWS.

A league based on welfare in order to survive. Great!
Hopefully it's only for the first ten years and then they can find corporate supporters to take it over later. The jackjumpers didn't have trouble finding corporate sponsors so I think once it is announced they have plenty of corporates come on board and private ownership is also going to be part of it.

The examiner newspaper up here in the North of Tasmania is this morning reporting that Tasmania is the furthurest we are away from getting a licence in a long time. I would say we are actually the closest we have ever been with a lot of negotiations going on behind closed doors and the AFL expected to offer us a ten year provisional licence soon.

The AFL is only offering Tasmania the base distribution of $8.5m. Of current clubs only the three richest (West Coast, Richmond and Collingwood) will get this amount. Everyone else will get more. Gold Coast and GWS will get more than $10m more.

Surely a new club shouldn't be expected to perform as well as the richest clubs in the comp? A league-average distribution would be much fairer.
The $8.5mil mentioned on Monday night is a garbage figure. The base distribution is $10.5m

In 2021 it was $10.446m as stated in North Melbourne's accounts who are the only club for the last decade to separate the base distribution from other AFL distributions.

And as state in the AFL's 2021 Annual Report on age 153. None ended up getting less than $12m

Distributions to AFL clubsThe AFL makes a number of distributions to AFL clubs. These distributions totalled $301.0 million, an increase of $70.2 million compared with 2020, and included the following:

A base distribution to all clubs which totalled $188.0 million;
Variable distributions which totalled $58.1 million; and
Other commercial distributions which totalled $54.9 million.

2021 CLUB DISTRIBUTIONS
Club......Total ($’000)
Adelaide 13,157
Brisbane Lions 21,574
Carlton 15,660
Collingwood 15,019
Essendon 13,319
Fremantle 13,334
Geelong Cats 13,714
Gold Coast Suns 26,317
GWS Giants 23,590
Hawthorn 12,274
Melbourne 18,957
North Melbourne 17,441
Port Adelaide 14,889
Richmond 14,192
St Kilda 21,446
Sydney Swans 14,621
West Coast Eagles 12,678
Western Bulldogs 18,808
Total 300,990

Included in the above are the following other distributions to the clubs throughout the 2021 season, including, but not limited to AFLW, travel subsidies, prizemoney, AFL membership-related distributions, AFL commercial partner payments, AFL-facilitated stadium payments and licensing distributions.

I think the AFL will have to give a total distn of $15m allowing for other distribution and by how much the salary cap goes up by, the AFL will cover that and the Tassie government contribute $10mil.

That $25mil is net, there would be very little costs associated to it.

So that leaves $20-$25mil to raise elsewhere.

The stadium deal will be key. How clean will the stadium deal be? If its a clean deal like Perth Stadium and the Gabba, then with 30,000 members and 20,000 11 game members they could possible generate the following

$8mil from members
$8mil from sponsorships
$5mil from stadium yield ie corporate boxes, pre game functions, advertising, signage etc
$3mil - $5mil from other sources, maybe gaming.

The $8.5mil mentioned on Monday night is a garbage figure. The base distribution is $10.5m

In 2021 it was $10.446m as stated in North Melbourne's accounts who are the only club for the last decade to separate the base distribution from other AFL distributions.

And as state in the AFL's 2021 Annual Report on age 153. None ended up getting less than $12m

Distributions to AFL clubsThe AFL makes a number of distributions to AFL clubs. These distributions totalled $301.0 million, an increase of $70.2 million compared with 2020, and included the following:

A base distribution to all clubs which totalled $188.0 million;
Variable distributions which totalled $58.1 million; and
Other commercial distributions which totalled $54.9 million.

2021 CLUB DISTRIBUTIONS
Club......Total ($’000)
Adelaide 13,157
Brisbane Lions 21,574
Carlton 15,660
Collingwood 15,019
Essendon 13,319
Fremantle 13,334
Geelong Cats 13,714
Gold Coast Suns 26,317
GWS Giants 23,590
Hawthorn 12,274
Melbourne 18,957
North Melbourne 17,441
Port Adelaide 14,889
Richmond 14,192
St Kilda 21,446
Sydney Swans 14,621
West Coast Eagles 12,678
Western Bulldogs 18,808
Total 300,990

Included in the above are the following other distributions to the clubs throughout the 2021 season, including, but not limited to AFLW, travel subsidies, prizemoney, AFL membership-related distributions, AFL commercial partner payments, AFL-facilitated stadium payments and licensing distributions.

I think the AFL will have to give a total distn of $15m allowing for other distribution and by how much the salary cap goes up by, the AFL will cover that and the Tassie government contribute $10mil.

That $25mil is net, there would be very little costs associated to it.

So that leaves $20-$25mil to raise elsewhere.

The stadium deal will be key. How clean will the stadium deal be? If its a clean deal like Perth Stadium and the Gabba, then with 30,000 members and 20,000 11 game members they could possible generate the following

$8mil from members
$8mil from sponsorships
$5mil from stadium yield ie corporate boxes, pre game functions, advertising, signage etc
$3mil - $5mil from other sources, maybe gaming.
The base distribution was reduced from $10.5m to $8.5m earlier this year. That's where that figure comes from. The idea being that that richer clubs should get less and the poorer clubs more.

The reporting by Caro earlier in the week that the AFL is asking for $20m from the Tas gov has been denied by the AFL and dismissed as a figure floated by the clubs.

So Sydney,Gold Coast and Collingwood will vote against a Tassie team. I'm not surprised about the gold coast considering how negative the president has been about it but I wonder why Sydney and Collingwood are dead against it.
their president had mentioned previously about needing to see the business plan, so maybe they feel it doesn't stack up and they don't want to prop up another club.

The base distribution was reduced from $10.5m to $8.5m earlier this year. That's where that figure comes from. The idea being that that richer clubs should get less and the poorer clubs more.

The reporting by Caro earlier in the week that the AFL is asking for $20m from the Tas gov has been denied by the AFL and dismissed as a figure floated by the clubs.
When did they make that decision and how did they get it past the clubs?

One way to piss off club Presidents.

Anyway a Tassie team will get more than the base distribution. The AFL can't justify that when they are paying GC and GWS $10+m over the base.

When did they make that decision and how did they get it past the clubs?

One way to piss off club Presidents.

Anyway a Tassie team will get more than the base distribution. The AFL can't justify that when they are paying GC and GWS $10+m over the base.
From memory only five of the richer clubs opposed it (Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn and West Coast) so it was approved.

Was all fleshed out middle of last year I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The examiner newspaper up here in the North of Tasmania is this morning reporting that Tasmania is the furthurest we are away from getting a licence in a long time. I would say we are actually the closest we have ever been with a lot of negotiations going on behind closed doors and the AFL expected to offer us a ten year provisional licence soon.
It is closest. (Whether it happens or not is another thing).
Why Examiner is taking that angle is bemusing.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It will be interesting to see what happens with AFL footy in Tasmania if it doesn't happen.
Tassie footy is in big trouble now.
It won't die completely but it won't be kids first option. Why would it when you can one day maybe play for your state's basketball or even soccer team.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
From memory only five of the richer clubs opposed it (Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn and West Coast) so it was approved.

Was all fleshed out middle of last year I think.
Ok hadn't heard that, but it makes some sense, these clubs have big cash reserves, so whilst the AFL has a $100m bank loan, you pay your own way is their mentality I guess. The other clubs wont be affected if they maintain their total distribution, which I'm sure the AFL did. Divide and conquer again by AFL executives.

From the club's 2021 annual reports ie as at 31/10/21

WCE - $17.247m cash + $51.455m Financial assets ie shares
Haw - $30.962m cash + $4.519 Investments ie shares/managed funds
Coll - $11.781m cash + $17.560m Financial assets ie shares/fixed interest/managed funds
Rich - $28.871m cash + $12.130m Investments
Ess - $1.751m cash + $0

Essendon have spent $22m+ upgrading the Hangar, about $9m their own cash the rest government grants, over the previous 3 years.

I can’t help but laugh when clubs say they don’t want an uneven number of teams because of having a bye every round and then at this time of the season say the bye can’t come quick enough to rest players. Going by what they did in 2011 (GC first season - 17 teams) where they had 24 rounds (19 rounds with 1 bye and 5 rounds with 3 byes) I figure with 19 teams they’d have 24 rounds again (17 with 1 bye and 7 with 3 byes). I’d imagine the bulk of the 3-bye rounds would be in the middle of the season to align with the current season structure as much as possible. And teams expected to be at the bottom to have byes in rounds 21-24. GC had the bye in the first round 2011 so I’d expect the same for Tas if we get in.

I can’t help but laugh when clubs say they don’t want an uneven number of teams because of having a bye every round and then at this time of the season say the bye can’t come quick enough to rest players. Going by what they did in 2011 (GC first season - 17 teams) where they had 24 rounds (19 rounds with 1 bye and 5 rounds with 3 byes) I figure with 19 teams they’d have 24 rounds again (17 with 1 bye and 7 with 3 byes). I’d imagine the bulk of the 3-bye rounds would be in the middle of the season to align with the current season structure as much as possible. And teams expected to be at the bottom to have byes in rounds 21-24. GC had the bye in the first round 2011 so I’d expect the same for Tas if we get in.

So by this formula does each team end up with 2 byes for the year as opposed to 1 that they currently have? If anything that might stop the AFLPA whinging for 5 seconds.

You have one bye in rounds 1 - 23 and 15 in round 24, thus keeping the pre-finals bye.You can either simply figure the previous season’s bottom 4 clubs as the only teams playing in rnd 24, or, you can implement a 18/4 fixture where you reset after each team has played each other once - the bottom five teams play each other the last five rounds, and the top 14 play four games v other top 14 games for finals sport and a round 24 bye.

One of Tasmania's polititions has vowed to scrap the $750 million stadium planned for Hobart. I think this will lead to a cheaper stadium being proposed and I think that would make a lot more sense because the current proposal is just way too expensive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back