Oppo Camp Taylor Adams (Traded to Swans 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Human trait to see a rule in a small sample size. That team fell off a cliff for whatever reasons but that was more an anomaly. Is it just another anomaly that players seem to kick on longer now? Mitchell looks near cooked for me but only has to keep doing what he has to be useful. Stronger on the inside than Adams and better in getting it out. We lose a bit of hardness tho.
The way Mitchell played in 2023, looks like he has another 2 years in him.

interesting that hawthorn sort to increase the midfield spread and this meant that mitchell had to go forward and he wasn't that good there...

i wonder if lightning is going to strike twice...

interesting that hawthorn sort to increase the midfield spread and this meant that mitchell had to go forward and he wasn't that good there...

i wonder if lightning is going to strike twice...
Hawthorn weren't trying to increase their midfield spread. They were a struggling team looking to push through their next wave of talented minds. If we had Newcombe and Day in the squad, Tom would be in trouble, but we don't.

The way Mitchell played in 2023, looks like he has another 2 years in him.
I hope so. He plays in a niche role, doesn't seem to offer a lot outside of that. He did a good job in 2023 but, as pointed out it wasn't all perfect. improvement on the inside of those around him or yet to play in the firsts could push him out.

100%. Been a key training method forever and a day. Would have been in the program for months.
It’s the reason why I believed, and still believe Carlton have misplaced confidence in themselves. They had a run in the latter half of the season against teams that were in a loading phase while they were very clearly avoiding that loading because they weren’t locked in the top 8. Momentum can only take you so far and they did well to get to the prelim, but I think they’re in for a rude shock this year with what should be a tougher draw imo.

I hope so. He plays in a niche role, doesn't seem to offer a lot outside of that. He did a good job in 2023 but, as pointed out it wasn't all perfect. improvement on the inside of those around him or yet to play in the firsts could push him out.

Tom Mitchell was sensational last season, so if we manage to push him out it’s an exciting development for our future midfield.

Hawthorn weren't trying to increase their midfield spread. They were a struggling team looking to push through their next wave of talented minds. If we had Newcombe and Day in the squad, Tom would be in trouble, but we don't.

Newcombe doesn’t strike me as a talented mind. Handy footballer though.

It’s the reason why I believed, and still believe Carlton have misplaced confidence in themselves. They had a run in the latter half of the season against teams that were in a loading phase while they were very clearly avoiding that loading because they weren’t locked in the top 8. Momentum can only take you so far and they did well to get to the prelim, but I think they’re in for a rude shock this year with what should be a tougher draw imo.
To be fair I thought the same for us. Blues with this current list really just need to go one full H&A without the wheels falling off either at the start or end like they usually do for them to contend and be a serious flag threat. They face us, Port, GWS and Geelong twice. Will have to go 2-0 most probably against contenders in Geelong and Port in order to get those wins that comfortably fit them in the Top 4.

To me, how they do in those double-ups vs sides they may be sharing the Top 8 with, that'll be the bellwether for them as I thought with us in 2023. We ended up 2-0ing Geelong, Port and Adelaide which made all the difference seeing us a couple games clear of first at some points.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Mitchell was sensational last season, so if we manage to push him out it’s an exciting development for our future midfield.
Some supporters are far too harsh on Mitchell. He was one of the players who almost deserves a statue for giving us number 16. He was magnificent on grand final day. He may be lacking in versatility but if he can play as an inside mid at the same level for another year or two he will have been an outstanding acquisition. In fact, he has already proven to be the difference after one season.

To be fair I thought the same for us. Blues with this current list really just need to go one full H&A without the wheels falling off either at the start or end like they usually do for them to contend and be a serious flag threat. They face us, Port, GWS and Geelong twice. Will have to go 2-0 most probably against contenders in Geelong and Port in order to get those wins that comfortably fit them in the Top 4.

To me, how they do in those double-ups vs sides they may be sharing the Top 8 with, that'll be the bellwether for them as I thought with us in 2023. We ended up 2-0ing Geelong, Port and Adelaide which made all the difference seeing us a couple games clear of first at some points.
Except we were pretty clearly loading towards the end of 2022 too because we’d already made finals. Blues were borderline despite finishing 5th last year. They’ll get rolled early in those tough matchups against fresh top tier sides, nothing surer.

Except we were pretty clearly loading towards the end of 2022 too because we’d already made finals. Blues were borderline despite finishing 5th last year. They’ll get rolled early in those tough matchups against fresh top tier sides, nothing surer.
They went 0-4 in the last month of the '22 season, just one win needed in 4 weeks to lock them into finals. They were sitting 5th (us 6th) after R18 with a couple tough games they were in a great position to win (Melb+Coll), should've beat Adelaide easily and dropped a 25pt lead at 3QT against us (and thank God for it, giving us one of the best H&A games in our history!). Losing those games against teams they were competing for Top 8 was a double-loss vs. any wins they were able to nab against the bottom feeders which is why I mentioned those Port, GWS and Geelong double ups.

Reality is they were a fine team, maybe slightly playing ahead of themselves from what their list suggested, but the wheels fell off and they choked hard. At times watching those games they were unlucky and at others they were pathetic.

Don't necessarily disagree with you there's a decent possibly they could end up 3-7 or 4-6 by Round 10 if they're the same old Carlton. I'm just saying if they're able to bring another level from their finals' side right from R0 don't be shocked for them to be more like 7-3 and setting themselves up on cruise-control into finals/Top 4 from mid-season just like we could.

And with that said, just realised this is the Adams thread and not too sure how I got talking about this here haha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back