List Mgmt. Thank you fellas - Lamb, Kerridge, Graham, Rowe delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks Jed, Sam, Sam and Nick. Must have been a tough week for you.

I think Sam R added value in 2018 in many games - yes he had some poor games - and I think we'll go into 2019 with an undersized defence barring some DFA. Some forget Sam was coming off a major knee injury and that takes time to recover. All things considered he added value.

Graham was cut due to his lack of speed relative to his size. The fact he lasted 6 years on the list is a testament to his effort. Whenever he was dropped he would go back and get 35.
in pab's defence he did suggest puss had given his all as opposed to certain others - I questioned his suggestion that it's lack of effort that gets players delisted, not lack of talent - I disagree entirely............

I would have thought that Graham, Kerridge and Rowe would be examples of some of the hardest working players in the biz.

I don't know what goes on at training but Lamb would appear (just appear) to be the most laid back of the 4 and he still might find himself back on the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always a sad time of the year when you see quality people being delisted.

Not a huge lot of talent in this list (Lamb aside), but absolute triers.

Rowe's football was always unconditional, regardless of whether called upon to play in defence, attack or in the ruck & from all reports was a very good leader in the defensive set up. Sadly there was some extremely horrible things said about Rowe by some of our supporters during games. Regardless of his limitations, he was a Carlton man who respected the jumper.

Graham deserves to be complimented for always giving 100% when dropped to the VFL. His attitude outshone some higher profile Carlton players who cracked the 'sads' when omitted.

If you can take a positive from these delistings, it is that it is an indication we are moving towards a playing list with greater depth of talent/skill levels.

A bit gutted for Sam Rowe, who is a flipping inspiration of a bloke, but the end comes for everyone.

Thanks for your services, Sam, Sam, Jed and Nick. If you get picked up by the NB and form a part of our development group in the VFL, absolutely awesome. If not, the best of luck to each of you.

I think there is consensus on our Bigfooty board that Graham, Kerridge, Lamb and Rowe were the bottom few on our list (along with Mullett, O’Shea, Shaw, ASOS, not so muchWright who retired). In all likelihood, the other 17 teams including Gold Coast will look at other players before them.

Each did their bit in Navy Blue.

We took Graham in the same draft as Menzel and Temay. The strategy was to take endurance runners as MM thought an interchange cap might come in. He wore the red vest a lot ...

Kerridge was a renowned hard trainer, however his skills let him down. He kicked a winning goal for us against * in 2017 (in Palmer’s only senior match for us).

Lamb I think is the one who got the most out of himself. He’d drop a mark under no pressure, fight for the ball back ... did his role as the defensive forward, won a game for us doing this role last year against Hawthorn ... chased Houli really hard and copped a vicious elbow. It is a tough game and Lamb was certainly tough.

Rowe I think was lucky to play on in 2018. His best attribute was 1%s and defensive spoils, sometimes when he could have marked it uncontested. No question he tried hard.

So we look forward to the upgrades ... hopefully Walsh, Hickmott, BSOS...

And we can find some gold hopefully in the rookie draft with 3 spots to fill (ASOS, Shaw, JGM).

Last edited:
Best of luck to those delisted. Each gave in their best.

Great sign for Carlton going forward that these guys are surplus.

On paper it looks like we're removing significant depth options, but ultimately these guys showed the past year they aren't AFL standard and almost certainly wouldn't get games in other teams. Most weeks with most of these guys we'd be debating whether it was worth even playing them such was their form, but for this year it was the slightly better option than playing another young guy who needed more time in the VFL.

Some consider Lamb to be a bit unlucky but with Doc returning, Willo returning, Newman coming into the team and a year and another pre-season into Schumacher he was going to struggle to get a spot, and he'd shown he didn't have the pace or strength to be a full-time forward or the ability to accumulate to make it as a midfielder.

Graham and Kerridge are good VFL players. They can have their moments at AFL level: kicking a long goal, hitting up a target inside 50, but they just don't impact enough. They think far too slowly, their disposal by and large is poor and they don't have any other redeeming features to account for basically how middling they are. They're also pretty poor on the inside for well-built, seasoned midfielders.

Rowe did well for the ability he had. Probably thought his AFL career was over when he was delisted by Sydney as a rookie but kept plugging away and became a handy enough state-league CHF to get re-drafted. Then reinvented himself as a backman out of necessity, and showed some real improvement as a footballer at an age not many would adapt. My guess is we will see a much improved defence next year, which is why we've decided it's probably time to move him on. Out of the four he'd be the most proud of what he managed to get out of himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back