The 2014 Attendance Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Two 25k crowds in Perth in under a month, inquiry time?
We have to determine why we can't compete with the powerful Vic sides. Early draft- we should travel only 6 times a year and have access to the best WA players from a local academy.

To be honest, the club doesn't care because they get the money from memberships regardless. They aren't forced to be innovative or demanding wrt on field performance or off field management, and I don't think that's a good thing.

The way the afl are talking the Thursday night matches are instead of Sunday night matches, not Sunday 4:40 matches.

The way the SA crowds are going hopefully they can pick up a few more Sunday 4:40 matches next year.

So you're only against that time slot if it's played in Victoria?

The 2014 Fixture has been purely arranged around TV time slots to ensure fox never has any over lap of games, footy fans have been put second in the pursuit to string out a weekends footy from Thursday to Monday night to satisfy the needs/desire of fox.

Heaven forbid Fox from having to broadcast matches that overlap, Fox should be made to utilize both channels 503 & 504 more often on a Sunday to help get the timeslots into more respectable hours so fans can attend.

The footy week should be finished by 6 on a Sunday imo, which means the latest game on a Sunday should be 3:20 AEST.

How lovely for you. Would hate to inconvenience you and your preferred Sunday evening schedule...

Hypocritical don't you think?

2014AFLCrowdsr16.png

So you're only against that time slot if it's played in Victoria?

My preference would be to see the time slot scrapped like Sunday night & Monday night footy but that won't happen because it's important to FOX.

So the next best thing would be to have the time slot shared across more teams, not just have the worst time slot exclusive to Victoria teams.

This times slot hurts attendances which has a negative effect for clubs and supporters.

My preference would be to see the time slot scrapped like Sunday night & Monday night footy but that won't happen because it's important to FOX.

So the next best thing would be to have the time slot shared across more teams, not just have the worst time slot exclusive to Victoria teams.

This times slot hurts attendances which has a negative effect for clubs and supporters.

Ok fair enough. If you look at past fixtures eg 2013 Adelaide Crows played a few 4:10pm (4-40est) Sunday games and played that timeslot in Vic also.
South Aussie supporters were just as adverse to that timeslot for all the same reasons as Melbourne supporters. The point is. it has been shared around but i guess till Collingwood made noise about it and the Melbourne media highlighting poor spectator numbers no one gave a crap.

Fox show overlapping games all the time. Every Saturday night and afternoon they are using 504 and 503. The issue is they don't want to broadcast two games they are producing at the same time. And I think that's fairly reasonable.

I don't know why they don't just go with this:

7:40 Friday - Seven
1:40 Saturday - Fox
2:30 Saturday - Seven
4:40 Saturday - Fox
7:10 Saturday - Seven
7:40 Saturday - Fox
1:10 Sunday - Fox
3:10 Sunday - Seven
4:40 Sunday - Fox

The only real dud slot there is the Sunday twilight, but if you make 6 of them WA games, have 6 Thursday night games, then you've only got 10 games to share between the other clubs.

I've always felt the ideal set-up should roughly be

7:45 Friday - Seven

1:10 Saturday - Fox
2:10 Saturday - Fox
4:10 Saturday - Fox (Super Saturday package for Foxtel so to speak, can't imagine Saturday afternoon provides 7 with anything meaningful)
7:10 Saturday - Seven & Fox (2 games)

1:10 Sunday - Seven
2:10 Sunday - Fox
4:10 Sunday - Seven

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always felt the ideal set-up should roughly be

7:45 Friday - Seven

1:10 Saturday - Fox
2:10 Saturday - Fox
4:10 Saturday - Fox (Super Saturday package for Foxtel so to speak, can't imagine Saturday afternoon provides 7 with anything meaningful)
7:10 Saturday - Seven & Fox (2 games)

1:10 Sunday - Seven
2:10 Sunday - Fox
4:10 Sunday - Seven
Fox may not want to go up against itself with 2 fox footy produced games on at the same time (this is what happens if the 2pm Sat game switches from 7 to fox).
7 wont do Sunday twilight - eats into their news. Unless they do 4.40pm and have the news (a 20 min version) at half time.

I see the HUN today are whingeing that the Victorian crowds are about 13% down but the non Vic crowds are way up

The Melbourne crowds are down for a number of reasons - Poor form of some of the big drawing clubs like Richmond and Carlton, bad fixturing times, stupid pricing policy and poor weather when you take all those factors and live against the gate its not the end of the world.

Im certain even with only some of these factors corrected next season the crowds will bounce back.BTW the both Rugby codes are also down this season and for those having a go at GWS with 8500 last game the RL game at ANZ got only 10,000.

Round 16

Good: Excellent crowds on the Gold Coast and Adelaide.

Bad: Worst WC crowd at Subi for nearly 20 years (weather obv a factor but still), first time since 1996 there were 2 sub 10K crowds in the same round.

Meh: every other crowd

Round 16

Good: Excellent crowds on the Gold Coast and Adelaide.

Bad: Worst WC crowd at Subi for nearly 20 years (weather obv a factor but still), first time since 1996 there were 2 sub 10K crowds in the same round.

Meh: every other crowd
Both those sub 10k crowds would be considered alright too.

Fan initiatives could have fresh face in Travis Auld

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...travis-auld-20140708-zt0la.html#ixzz36ynpXqhk

Interesting article by Caro. States that attendances will take priority over TV ratings next year and implies the AFL will be buying out Docklands early. Two of the best possible policies for mine. Still, I'll believe it when I see it.

Looks like the new boss is in more in tune with the fans than Vlad was.Its a good time for someone more grounded in real community footy culture (He played over 200 games in the Ammos) to shape the future of our great game.
Hopefully buying Docklands stadium sooner rather than later is one of the plans so the clubs being screwed there ATM will be much better off.

I am certain if all the silly balls ups and the fixture is more fan friendly than the AFL tried this year are eliminated the crowds will bounce back next year in Melbourne.The only factor the AFL cannot control is the form of the big drawing clubs.

Looks like the new boss is in more in tune with the fans than Vlad was.Its a good time for someone more grounded in real community footy culture (He played over 200 games in the Ammos) to shape the future of our great game.
Hopefully buying Docklands stadium sooner rather than later is one of the plans so the clubs being screwed there ATM will be much better off.

I am certain if all the silly balls ups and the fixture is more fan friendly than the AFL tried this year are eliminated the crowds will bounce back next year in Melbourne.The only factor the AFL cannot control is the form of the big drawing clubs.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but would just like to point out that even the bigger clubs don't necessarily have to be playing well to get good crowd figures competition wide. In 2005, the bottom four was Essendon, Hawthorn, Collingwood and Carlton and the average attendance for that year competition wide was 35,703 (well up on this year).

I don't know whether I'm really trying to argue something or not, just thought that was an interesting thing to note.

I see the HUN today are whingeing that the Victorian crowds are about 13% down but the non Vic crowds are way up

The Melbourne crowds are down for a number of reasons - Poor form of some of the big drawing clubs like Richmond and Carlton, bad fixturing times, stupid pricing policy and poor weather when you take all those factors and live against the gate its not the end of the world.

Im certain even with only some of these factors corrected next season the crowds will bounce back.BTW the both Rugby codes are also down this season and for those having a go at GWS with 8500 last game the RL game at ANZ got only 10,000.
GWS did a 2 or 1 offer which would have help raise their crowd.
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/151448

We have to determine why we can't compete with the powerful Vic sides. Early draft- we should travel only 6 times a year and have access to the best WA players from a local academy.

To be honest, the club doesn't care because they get the money from memberships regardless. They aren't forced to be innovative or demanding wrt on field performance or off field management, and I don't think that's a good thing.
it will be interesting when the new WA stadium is built, what sort of deals the clubs get & how it will affect the clubs. atm they have a great deal at subiaco, have access to most of the corporate boxes etc, something the Victorian clubs do not get. the new Adeliade oval has done wonders for AFL in SA, but the clubs have been, making news in the papers recently about the bad stadium deals

They seem to be able to contol the form of the swans....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back