Autopsy The 2017 AFL Grand Final - What did you like, learn or hate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked: 1st Grand Final attendance, good seats with my Richmond bud who I always sit with. It is remarkable how well the MCG functions at capacity!
Learned: Adelaide players practically gave up in the 3rd quarter, in a grand final. Didn't defend properly during the 1st quarter. etc. suggests immaturity at player + leadership level and at coaching level.
Hated: This talk about neutral grand finals. Right, so we're going to have to make it fair in the H&A then as well?
It's the sort of stuff that little Johnny in year 5 comes up with, draws a picture of the MCG and then draws Perth stadium next to it, bigger and with a racing stripe. Stop ruining the enjoyment for everyone else.

The G really does work well at capacity doesn't it..... Great day loved it
I'm not sure if they gave up or just didn't know what to do when it didn't go their way
I think they went into the game thinking this wasn't a possibility ....bit arrogant

I learned this has been the most relaxing 2 weeks of my life.

Horribly hungover though. I might have to go on some kind of detox program, I guess.

Liked: Being premiers feels so good. Our pressure is the best I've even seen, relentless not just in the grand final but throughout the finals series, our defence is magnificent however our fwd line lifted another gear since our last loss and watching rioli, butler and little Georgie pressure the opposition into submission is a joy to behold.
A few things I particularly loved, Townsends tackle on crouch was just brutal. Jack smashing packs and providing for the little fellas, the skipper leading from the front again, rancey being the general down back and teamed with astbury and grimes an impenetrable wall, bachar playing one of his best games on the biggest stage and the 5 gamer kicking 3 and stopping his boyhood idol in the process. Oh and the big fella presenting the cup... just awesome.

Learned: premierships are bloody hard to win and who knows if we get back here again however our list profile is very very good and if we can maintain the hunger there is no reason why we can't.

Hated: hmmmm... I didn't get a pano pic on the last quarter but really what's to hate when your team wins the flag?

Liked, supporter passion of Richmond supporters, love em or hate em, would give pies a run for their money. Underdogs winning anything is good.
Learn, nothing changes when it comes to idiots wanting to take the our greatest game day away from the greatest stadium.
Hate, repeating myself, why the AFL continue to promote overseas artists on such a unique day, promote an Aussie game with Aussie musical talent.

I learned this has been the most relaxing 2 weeks of my life.

Horribly hungover though. I might have to go on some kind of detox program, I guess.
why bother, maintain the passion, I'd just got over 84/85 wins when 93 came along, nearly ran of steam but 2000 popped up, nothing since, but I've maintained the passion and stayed drunk ever since. ENJOY.

Liked:
- The game itself. A tough physical contest - as a Grand Final should be - with one team outlasting the other, by a little at first, and by a lot at the end.
- Trent Cotchin's reinvention. He's always been a good player, sometimes very good, sometimes brilliant, but it's almost as if he's been reforged in the fires of Mount Doom now. Insanely competitive at the ball (or the player who has it), he's a far better footballer than ever and far more inspirational. Worthy premiership captain.
- Dylan Grimes. This guy must be close to both the most improved and underrated player in the competition. Under the radar doesn't come close; he completely nullified both Toby Greene and then Eddie Betts in successive finals, and still barely got noticed. In an era where defenders that run a lot but don't actually defend are incredibly overrated, Grimes showed a defender who doesn't run that much, but does defend is incredibly underrated. The only time his name comes up is probably from opposition coaches, and I suspect they worry about him a lot more than the media does.
- Alex Rance solidifying his standing as the best defender in the game, and the icing on the cake was how badly he humiliated Jenkins. Anyone who thinks he is overrated is either horribly biased or incredibly stupid.

Learned:
- Adelaide still have to produce when it counts. They're a good team undoubtedly, and did deserve to be there. But again too many went missing when it mattered.
- A united, committed team, with a good spread of quality, can be very difficult to beat. They don't need to all be superstars, but just breaking even in their individual positions makes a team hard to overcome. It's hard to think of a single Richmond player that didn't at least break even on Grand Final day (and in all their finals really).

Hated:
- The idiotic glee that opposition fans had in wanting to see Cotchin and Sloane rubbed out before the game. Particularly Cotchin; once upon a time the one thing that all supporters were agreed on was players who went in hardest for the ball. That's what Cotchin did, but for non-Richmond fans that suddenly became a hanging offence.
- The notion that games and especially finals have to be close to be of high quality (this extends to pretty much all the finals). Why? Sport is about winning and losing. Equally asinine is that apparently the game is suddenly at a low standard. Yeah of course it is, particularly if your team wasn't good enough to get there.
- The childish, insecure, and petulant whining from some Geelong fans from immediately after the Qualifying Final to after the Grand Final. It did nothing but make us look like immature sooks who couldn't handle being on the losing end, against a side we quite enjoyed tormenting in recent years (and even more enjoyed reminding them about it too). We lost; they won. They and Adelaide were much better than us when it mattered, and there are no excuses.

Liked:
- The game itself. A tough physical contest - as a Grand Final should be - with one team outlasting the other, by a little at first, and by a lot at the end.
- Trent Cotchin's reinvention. He's always been a good player, sometimes very good, sometimes brilliant, but it's almost as if he's been reforged in the fires of Mount Doom now. Insanely competitive at the ball (or the player who has it), he's a far better footballer than ever and far more inspirational. Worthy premiership captain.
- Dylan Grimes. This guy must be close to both the most improved and underrated player in the competition. Under the radar doesn't come close; he completely nullified both Toby Greene and then Eddie Betts in successive finals, and still barely got noticed. In an era where defenders that run a lot but don't actually defend are incredibly overrated, Grimes showed a defender who doesn't run that much, but does defend is incredibly underrated. The only time his name comes up is probably from opposition coaches, and I suspect they worry about him a lot more than the media does.
- Alex Rance solidifying his standing as the best defender in the game, and the icing on the cake was how badly he humiliated Jenkins. Anyone who thinks he is overrated is either horribly biased or incredibly stupid.

Learned:
- Adelaide still have to produce when it counts. They're a good team undoubtedly, and did deserve to be there. But again too many went missing when it mattered.
- A united, committed team, with a good spread of quality, can be very difficult to beat. They don't need to all be superstars, but just breaking even in their individual positions makes a team hard to overcome. It's hard to think of a single Richmond player that didn't at least break even on Grand Final day (and in all their finals really).

Hated:
- The idiotic glee that opposition fans had in wanting to see Cotchin and Sloane rubbed out before the game. Particularly Cotchin; once upon a time the one thing that all supporters were agreed on was players who went in hardest for the ball. That's what Cotchin did, but for non-Richmond fans that suddenly became a hanging offence.
- The notion that games and especially finals have to be close to be of high quality (this extends to pretty much all the finals). Why? Sport is about winning and losing. Equally asinine is that apparently the game is suddenly at a low standard. Yeah of course it is, particularly if your team wasn't good enough to get there.
- The childish, insecure, and petulant whining from some Geelong fans from immediately after the Qualifying Final to after the Grand Final. It did nothing but make us look like immature sooks who couldn't handle being on the losing end, against a side we quite enjoyed tormenting in recent years (and even more enjoyed reminding them about it too). We lost; they won. They and Adelaide were much better than us when it mattered, and there are no excuses.
BRILLIANT

Remove this Banner Ad

Back