The 2024 other sports thread

Remove this Banner Ad

There's no NRL expansion thread to discuss NRL vs AFL strategies etc. But regarding AFLs unsuccessful push into QLD and NSW

This post can be moved to an expansion thread....

---------

I originally thought Perth would be 18th, but I've reconsidered something. I'm probably wrong, but the Dolphins entering, part of their job is to spread the game into the northern corridor, Sunshine Coast, which is one of the fastest growing areas in all of Australia. So I reckon the Dolphins are doing that because the ARLC's plan is for the Sunshine Coast to be the 18th team.

It won't be for a few years tho, who knows? 5-10 years?

But imo it would seem another QLD club is probably the smartest business decision. Keep leveling the NSW:QLD club ratio.

There's no urgency yet to expand into AFL territory even tho it would be nice to have a Perth team. Too many logistical, junior league etc problems with Perth right now to warrant an investment there.

QLD definitely deserves to keep having more NRL teams. State of Origin is all about NSW vs QLD, most of the RL comes from NSW and QLD. It's basically a no-brainer if puah comes to shove about where to expand

In an ideal world, NRL would have like 6 clubs from NSW, 6 from QLD, 2 from NZ, 1 Vic, 1 ACT, 1 WA, 1 PNG, maybe 1 SA. But things aren't conducive right now or for the foreseeable future for such a comp.

Unfortunately for WA too, it's the moat isolated region in Australia, and even in that ideal world comp, they'd still be about the only Western seaboard team with pretty much the other 17 along the Eastern seaboard.

However, if every sport in Australia....basketball, soccer, cricket, netball, etc....can do a true national comp despite the logistical/travel issues, then why can't RL? So everything I said before is entirely disputable and I have no clue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good has the cricket debate been?

Everyone seems to be forgetting all the other wickets Australia took.

I know it wasn't in the rules, but I thought the Starc catch was fair and the rule should be changed.
Incredible haha.

I didn't personally love the dismissal but it was definitely legal.

England lost that game by throwing wickets away in the first innings. That's all been lost in the wash up though.

We've only played some average teams - real acid test comes this weekend against the juggernaut that's matching yours.
Very true. I'll (spews) be cheering you on, although missing finals would be ok too. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back