M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
He and Niall are singing the same tune about Rocky. Niall is marginally more reliable.
would be good if someone could do a reliability indicator scale re the media types when it comes to trade/coach rumors. eg. Ralph, Robinson, Denham, Nial, Twomey, Anderson, Wilson, Hamilton, De Stoop, Whiting, Davis, Stafford, Maher, Stevens. etc..... (gee there is a lot out there).

who is the outlier at the top and the bottom of the scale?

would be good if someone could do a reliability indicator scale re the media types when it comes to trade/coach rumors. eg. Ralph, Robinson, Denham, Nial, Twomey, Anderson, Wilson, Hamilton, De Stoop, Whiting, Davis, Stafford, Maher, Stevens. etc..... (gee there is a lot out there).

IMO, Caro at the top, Tony Sheahan at the bottom. The others all have their sources, but it is hard sometimes to decipher if they are refering to insider knowledge they have, or if are adding to the groupthink based on what someone else has "reported".

Reasonably reliable - these will generally get confirmation from a source close to the issue before running with it:
  • Caro,
  • Stafford,
  • Whiting,
  • Whateley (feel like he's drifting south though),
  • Browne.
50/50 strike rate - these will sometimes get something juicy but generally report on the basis of rumours floating around that they hear from multiple people:
  • Ralph,
  • Clark,
  • Niall,
  • Twomey,
  • Hamilton (moved up from the below category in the last couple of years),
  • Davis (moved down from the above category in the last couple of years).
Too biased - they sometimes have good stuff before everyone else but can also want something to be true and report on it as such:
  • Robbo,
  • Landsberger.
Truly awful - these will make s**t up:
  • Denham (national),
  • Rucci (SA),
  • Hagdorn (WA),
  • Barrett.
Irrelevant - as above, but without an audience:
  • anyone on Twitter or SEN.
Not sure how much news breaking Maher actually does. BF's perpetual crush, Quayle, doesn't do breaking news. Don't notice Anderson much beyond draft stuff, and not sure who Stevens is off the top of my head. Probably missed more names.

Last edited:

Good to see Barrett doesnt even make the list

Does he actually do any reporting? I don't bother going looking for this stuff first hand, so generally go off what's quoted on BF and he only appears for his "if...then..." opinion pieces.

Reasonably reliable - these will generally get confirmation from a source close to the issue before running with it:
  • Caro,
  • Stafford,
  • Whiting,
  • Whateley (feel like he's drifting south though).
50/50 strike rate - these will sometimes get something juicy but generally report on the basis of rumours floating around that they hear from multiple people:
  • Ralph,
  • Clark,
  • Niall,
  • Twomey,
  • Hamilton (moved up from the below category in the last couple of years),
  • Davis (moved down from the above category in the last couple of years),
  • Browne.
Too biased - they sometimes have good stuff before everyone else but can also want something to be true and report on it as such:
  • Robbo,
  • Landsberger.
Truly awful - these will make s**t up:
  • Denham (national),
  • Rucci (SA),
  • Hagdorn (WA).
Irrelevant - as above, but without an audience:
  • anyone on Twitter or SEN.
Not sure how much news breaking Maher actually does. BF's perpetual crush, Quayle, doesn't do breaking news. Don't notice Anderson much beyond draft stuff, and not sure who Stevens is off the top of my head. Probably missed more names.

Much too nice re. Clark / Ralph...whilst Browne usually goes only when it's at least 80% probable so I'd have him a tad higher.

Much too nice re. Clark / Ralph.

It's a bit of a catch all. You can't really discard everything they write unlike those further down, but they're also pretty crappy like most of the guys in that section. Twomey probably suffers from association by being in that section but he can be very hit and miss.

I'd have a category above 'reasonably reliable' for the trade whisperer twitter accounts. It is where I get all of my trade info from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back