The already planning for SC 2016 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brad Crouch, Paul Seedsman, Ryan Bastinac, Ben Keys, Lachie Plowman, Jed Lamb, Charlie Curnow, Matthew Wright, Liam Sumner, Mitch Brown, Craig Bird, Darcy Parish, Harley Balic, Lachie Weller, Daniel Menzel, Brayden Fiorini, Jacob Hopper, Josh Kelly, Billy Hartung, Will Langford, Clayton Oliver, Jed Anderson, Mitchell Hibberd, Jimmy Toumpas, Brendon Ah Chee, Sam Gray, Andrew Moore, Ben Lennon, Jade Gresham, Nathan Freeman, Callum Mills, Liam Duggan, Tom Libertore

All guys I'll be monitoring over preseason. Hopefully a few young guys, returning players from injuries and guys first year at a new club with some potential break out players can put their hands up this off season. Looking for something along the lines of Rory Laird, Liam Picken and Mark Blicavs again.
Hadn't thought about Bastinac. Could be a smoky. Mitch Brown surely gets a start. Freeman if he can get on the park. Will need a lot of convincing to get $200k+ rookies though.

Wells has never been a good SC player. And it seems he gets better and better with every game he misses with injury.

I was thinking Kelly would get first dibs.
Kelly isn't really a ruck rover, though. He can't play Treloars role.

Coniglio might be one to step up?

Has averaged 104 over 21 game season previously.

Not sure that he needs to be elite if priced at around 40.
The problem is the opportunity cost of having a ~100 average in a midfield spot. And that's assuming he can pull one more year out at full fitness. In theory that sort of production is worth the same no matter where on the field it is, right? However, last year 20 mids averaged 105+ and only 4 forwards, all of whom were mid/fwds. Top 3 Fwd-only averages were Dahlhaus 104, Wingard 97, Gunston 96, and there's 10-11 MPP fwds ahead of Gunston. In defence, only Shaw and Hodge averaged 105+, and Hodge is a mid/def. So settling for bargain 95-105 in the mids is a worse bet than in the fwds or def, because you're not passing up as many sure things on the other lines.

Bottom line? Wells as a cheap M/f (which won't actually happen) is actually maybe tempting, as a mid only not so much.

Watch me still be tempted when he tears pre-season a new one :oops:.

The problem is the opportunity cost of having a ~100 average in a midfield spot. And that's assuming he can pull one more year out at full fitness. In theory that sort of production is worth the same no matter where on the field it is, right? However, last year 20 mids averaged 105+ and only 4 forwards, all of whom were mid/fwds. Top 3 Fwd-only averages were Dahlhaus 104, Wingard 97, Gunston 96, and there's 10-11 MPP fwds ahead of Gunston. In defence, only Shaw and Hodge averaged 105+, and Hodge is a mid/def. So settling for bargain 95-105 in the mids is a worse bet than in the fwds or def, because you're not passing up as many sure things on the other lines.

Bottom line? Wells as a cheap M/f (which won't actually happen) is actually maybe tempting, as a mid only not so much.

Watch me still be tempted when he tears pre-season a new one :oops:.

Good post outlines some important principles.

However I didnt mean to imply he was a keeper. Merely great value as a stepping stone or cash cow if he gets 20-30% discount.

I'm just beginning to plan my team with the completion of the Draft, Trade and FA periods.

My plan has and always will be Guns and rookies. There is so much talent in this years draft on all lines as well as a number of more experienced players that have been traded that it is almost impossible to miss out on talent. From the draft for example, I would consider all of Francis, Mills, Hopper, Kennedy, Ah Chee, Curnow, Gresham, Fiorini, Lovell, Dunkley, Tucker, Partington, Hibberd, Clarke, Bonner, Balic, Mathieson, Hardwick and even some of the rookie draftees (Glass-McCasker, O'Kearney, Snelling).

As far as trade and free agency goes look no further than Nathan Freeman. If this kid gets on the park he is a ready made gun for potentially minimum price. Other good ones to look at would be Michael Talia (Swans) and Ryan Bastinac (Lions), they should both get plenty of opportunities at their new clubs.

The guns this year are looking a lot easier to pick than last year. Especially in the midfield. Mine is just about set as is with Fyfe, Dangerfield, Pendlebury and Ablett. Can't go wrong with any of these guys, especially with Dangerfield at the Cattery now.

The planning begins

I'm in love!

What are people's thoughts on some rookies for next year?

I have a few ideas.
Mitch Brown (ess) would be one of the first picked as a def rookie.
Sam Collins, Shane Yarran, Tom Ruggles, Lachie Plowman, Adam Marcon, Ben Keays, Dan Currie, Andrew Gallucci and Christian Petracca would be some popular ones IMO.

I know that next year, the midfield will be full of players with injury discounted prices, but what are people's thoughts on Jared Polec?
Only played the 5 games last year but scored well including a 105+ in rd 1 against Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The guns this year are looking a lot easier to pick than last year. Especially in the midfield. Mine is just about set as is with Fyfe, Dangerfield, Pendlebury and Ablett. Can't go wrong with any of these guys, especially with Dangerfield at the Cattery now.

I'd be keeping a close eye on Fyfe in the pre season. I was all over him last year, but with the decreased rotations and Freo's game plan (As good as they are they don't seem to realise that you have to kick it through the big sticks to score points) there is plenty of chatter that Fyfe will be spending a lot more time forward next year, which could hinder his SC output. Will be watching very closely in the NAB challenge before committing to him. If he becomes more of a forward then for me Lachie Neale may just be a lock for the start of the season.

Hadn't thought about Bastinac. Could be a smoky. Mitch Brown surely gets a start. Freeman if he can get on the park. Will need a lot of convincing to get $200k+ rookies though.

Bastinac steps straight into Jack Redden's role from last season I feel. Off the top of my head Redden averaged 98 or so in supercoach. 23 disposals and 5 tackles a game. I feel Bastinac gets more of the ball, maybe a worse tackler. Only issue with him is Dayne Beams, Pearce Hanley and most importantly Tom Rockliff all get their points regardless so maybe Bastinac misses out, add Tom Bell to that and Brisbane's midfield is very supercoach scoring friendly. Honestly I just want to keep an eye of Bastinac's fitness over summer, if he aces pre season I'll think about him more seriously. I feel Sam Gray, Aaron Hall and Jack Viney will be better picks at that price though. All about his pre season for me though

Mitch Brown does start. He'll probably be last in though for the same reason Mitch Clark was last year, KPP don't score that well.

Same view on Freeman, he'll be cheap too.

I can't imagine their will be a lot of 200k rookies worth picking anyway. Callum Mills, Clayton Oliver and Darcy Parish probably the only three worth thinking about. everyone below them will be 180ish

I'm really taking a liking to these guys for next year

Sam Gray - Season Average: 89 - Last 3 games: 128 (121, 138, 125)
Aaron Hall - Season Average: 79 - Last 5 games 121 (150, 127, 139, 95, 98)

Hopefully they're around that 350-400k price

Both will be 450k

I think it was about $5400 per point (average ) last year

Bastinac steps straight into Jack Redden's role from last season I feel. Off the top of my head Redden averaged 98 or so in supercoach. 23 disposals and 5 tackles a game. I feel Bastinac gets more of the ball, maybe a worse tackler. Only issue with him is Dayne Beams, Pearce Hanley and most importantly Tom Rockliff all get their points regardless so maybe Bastinac misses out, add Tom Bell to that and Brisbane's midfield is very supercoach scoring friendly. Honestly I just want to keep an eye of Bastinac's fitness over summer, if he aces pre season I'll think about him more seriously. I feel Sam Gray, Aaron Hall and Jack Viney will be better picks at that price though. All about his pre season for me though

Mitch Brown does start. He'll probably be last in though for the same reason Mitch Clark was last year, KPP don't score that well.

Same view on Freeman, he'll be cheap too.

I can't imagine their will be a lot of 200k rookies worth picking anyway. Callum Mills, Clayton Oliver and Darcy Parish probably the only three worth thinking about. everyone below them will be 180ish
Fitness won't be a problem with Bastinac. He's never been injury prone and always had the good tank. It's more about role and fit for him in Brisbane I think, and it will probably take more than just the NAB games to get a feel for that. Might end up being one of those guys you watchlist and consider for a R3 corrective trade.

I suspect he'll get a role that suits what he's good at more than he had the last couple of years at North, though translating that to SC scores is obviously anyone's guess. Agree there's probably going to be more breakout candidates at the price range.

I don't like Hall as a choice at all. As soon as Ablett et al are back, Halls time on the ball and output will drop significantly. Even as a forward I can't see him averaging enough to be a keeper.

Unless its an absolute no-brainer, no mid-pricers for me. They always seem to disappoint. I'm sure there are examples of those that do well, but you have to be very lucky to pick them imo

Unless its an absolute no-brainer, no mid-pricers for me. They always seem to disappoint. I'm sure there are examples of those that do well, but you have to be very lucky to pick them imo
There were a few this year.
Laird and Neale were stars. Shit even Clancee Pearce did well as a mid pricer in D5/6.

But you're right it's hard to pick them, especially in your starting side.
Best bet is to trade them in before they're price rises for someone you messed up on.

There were a few this year.
Laird and Neale were stars. Shit even Clancee Pearce did well as a mid pricer in D5/6.

But you're right it's hard to pick them, especially in your starting side.
Best bet is to trade them in before they're price rises for someone you messed up on.
Bonts and T Mitch were pretty handy too.

I wonder how many people will go crazy and start with a midfield of Rocky, Ablett, Libba, JOM and Crouch. Only 2.2 mil all up, shit i might be able to actually afford Goldy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back