FTA-TV The Amazing Race - season 30 *spoilers*

Remove this Banner Ad

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
This is a *spoilers* thread as I'm not waiting five days to watch it on 7flix in standard definition. This doesn't mean say who wins or loses before it airs in the US.

It's back. Again. The long running CBS reality series. I watched the early seasons way, way back but haven't been a regular viewer in many years. I'm going to give it a crack and hopefully have as much fun as I did watching Survivor: Millennials vs. Gen X.

Premieres 12pm AEDT today.

Was just online posting in a TAR thread on an American site as the show is airing there. However, I just stopped by to say hello to them and didn't read the running commentary and remarks. I'm missing posting as the show is running. Did it with them for many years. I wonder how Charla is doing? :D

Watched episode 1. It... reminded me why I stopped watching. Wall to wall noise and daadadadadadadaadada! music. A thousand quick cuts. How about some room to breathe between challenges instead of confected 5th gear the whole time? It also seems to be at the expense of making the challenges seem like something more than a point on a map. The cool thing about Survivor is it slows down when they aren't doing a challenge or tribal council. This feels like one of the lame faux documentary reality shows on the Foxtel lifestyle channels. "Executive Producer Jerry Bruckheimer" yeah I ******* believe it.

Eliminated team probably a good outcome. Hope we get to see more of the teams as they thin out.

Phil Keoghan sounds more New Zealander than I remember (which isn't saying much).

Last edited:
Watched episode 1. It... reminded me why I stopped watching. Wall to wall noise and daadadadadadadaadada! music. How about some room to breathe between challenges instead of confected 5th gear the whole time? It also seems to be at the expense of making the challenges seem like something more than a point on a map. The cool thing about Survivor is it slows down when they aren't doing a challenge or tribal council. This feels like one of the lame faux documentary reality shows on the Foxtel lifestyle channels. "Executive Producer Jerry Bruckheimer" yeah I ******* believe it.

Eliminated team probably a good outcome. Hope we get to see more of the teams are they thin out.
you've just reminded me why i stopped watching
pre and post commercial is like a two minute repeat, editing and musc makes everything look like a neck and neck race

not enough scenery

They all got the same flight to Reykjavík. So sprinting at the start was pointless and only done to look exciting.

They all got the same flight to Reykjavík. So sprinting at the start was pointless and only done to look exciting.
run run run, and now wait 20 hours which gives others time to catch up and make the flight

run run run, and now wait 20 hours which gives others time to catch up and make the flight

Doing it during the season is understandable. Would be a scheduling nightmare if they got split up majorly. I remember season 1 (or maybe 2) ended with 1st and 2nd crossing the finish line in New York and a team still in Alaska picking up an envelope saying the race was over and they'd finished 3rd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched it tonight and posted in my American site running commentary thread. Interesting to read some of their thoughts as it was showing live in the US East Coast/Midwest time zones last week.

Nothing special for the first leg. Someone mentioned on the other site that the camera work wasn't up to par. I agree. It seemed they edited out a lot of stuff and the quick motions of the camera in one section as very annoying. Tasks were far too easy and had a rather sameness feeling about them from other sesons. Finding out the answers to two questions from spectators around them was laughable. Even that strong liquor didn't seem to make anyone flinch. Best part was the close finish. Sorry that the Goat Yoga wimmins didn't come last. They are annoying, even their faux drama wasn't impressive.

The only person I knew before hand is Johnny Chestnut. Big deal, he can stuff a bazillion hot dogs down his gullet before anyone else. Bzsketball players were disappointing. Dumb and cheats or maybe just dumb. I dunno. Most racers were unremarkable in this first leg. I used to watch Big Brother in the states, but didn't last year so did not know who they are. At least they aren't Brendan and Rachel. Ick. So far I like the racing guys, the ski girls and the debaters. It was sad to see the ring girls go. They were cute and seemed nice.

Now I have to go and check out their bios on the TAR site. I try not to find out stuff about them until I see the first episode so I can form my own first impressions.

I usually take a few episodes to get into the series but agree with the other comments.

Too much in one episode, no actual race for the flights, no scenery shots.....did some teams even complete some of the tasks?

Eating challenge....they havent had any of those tasks in the race for a long time so those guys who eat hot dogs have no advantage.

Glad the goat******* soccer moms are gone. Weren't offering much entertainment for all their yak.

Head-to-head challenges to end a leg are cool. Think we'll see more of that.

Phil says Freeze instead of Fries

Did enjoy the race at the end. At least the goat yoga girls are gone

Still no sort of competition for flights or transport to get to tasks.......that was always an interesting part of the race

Didn't mind the twist last night, but some have said it was rigging like on Survivor. I don't see it that way. However, would it have been really fair if a team had to wait hours for another team to arrive for the challenge? That could have really screwed up when they would leave the next day. I rather enjoyed watching the challenge, especially in those outfits, and the eventual losers won't be missed. I think I would have chosen the printing task as I have no idea about diamonds, though I guess I could say that about printing.

Good point about the competition for flights/transport not being in this season so far. Hope it happens. And why did we not get to see the preview for next week? It's not like there was any time conflict on last night's show considering what was shown after TAR.

Oh yeah... the Belgian greeter girl had no idea about what Joey Chestnut's "pounds" of food meant. LOL

"last night". For a moment there thought "What the *, did CBS air it early?". Then realised what you meant.

And why did we not get to see the preview for next week?

There was a preview. 7flix would've cut it for another 20 seconds of ads.

"last night". For a moment there thought "What the ****, did CBS air it early?". Then realised what you meant.

There was a preview. 7flix would've cut it for another 20 seconds of ads.
I read about the preview on my other site. I watch the shows at the time when they come on here. I do miss posting during TAR when it's on air in the US East Coast/Midwest. I don't read the thread from my old site until after I watch the episode here then read their ongoing comments and post my thoughts about the episode. I posted with them for years. A Moderator posts a running account of what's happening during the first airing in the states and we'd chip in with mostly snarky comments about the race tasks, the venues and especially the racers. Someone mentioned the little person in last night's episode and, of course, Charla had to be mentioned. These teams seem to be a bit bland at this stage. I'm hoping some bring a bit more entertainment value. A raging meltdown or two would be most welcome. :D

Oh yeah... our favourite team to hate was the Weaver Family from the Family Edition Season 8. Damn, that was almost 13 years ago.

I like the teams this season.

I usually hate it if it is all celebrities. But given it is a mix of celebrities (Nba players, indy car drivers, olympic skiers) matching wits with non-celebrity regular folk (Henry & Evan, firefighters) it will make for an interesting season.

Also did they tease that the race may involve swapping partners? Its an interesting concepts that they probably should of debut in the "blind date" season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back