Roast The ARC - amateur hour for a billion dollar business

Remove this Banner Ad

Cricket needs it. Only have to look at the Ashes to look at how bad the umpires can be.

AFL brought in for blunders like the Hawkins poster in 2009. I get the desire to get everything right but the goal umpires have seemingly forgotten they’re the ones making the original decision. They’re scared of backing themselves and we see far too much stuff reviewed. Also have to sit through garbage advertising to get to a decision. Just flash it up immediately. Not hard.
Yep basically any doubt just review it. No one cares if it takes a minute or so if it means their team isn’t disadvantaged by a bad call. Hence two we saw yesterday. And piss off the advertising. We don’t need to hear about the ‘Bunnings scoreboard review bought to you by Sportsbet’.

Yep basically any doubt just review it. No one cares if it takes a minute or so if it means their team isn’t disadvantaged by a bad call. Hence two we saw yesterday. And p**s off the advertising. We don’t need to hear about the ‘Bunnings scoreboard review bought to you by Sportsbet’.
I want every decision to be right for sure. Just wish there was more of a directive for goal umpires to still back themselves. ARC operators should be trained to quickly review every goal that needs a second check while the boundary umpire runs the ball back to the middle.

I’ve always felt like the contentious decisions were always to do with balls touched off the boot.

95%?? LOLZ. Their success rate isn't anywhere near that, not even close, the ARC was supposed to be the solution to the appalling failure rate yet here we go again with a clear touch we can all see, except for those in the position to do something about it.
The point has gone straight over your head. The review system reviews and gives the oppertunity for wrong decisions to be overturned. Even if the review system is wrong with a decision, the initial umpire decision is STILL wrong to begin with. Therefore atleast there's a chance for the correct result to be achieved. Without the review system we'd have to stick to the umpires decision which was wrong anyway ya peanuts. Without the review system another 3 wrong umpiring decisions would've stuck in that game. 3 correct out of 4 questionable decisions is better than having all 4 wrong.

A s**t review system is still better than no review system at all.

No, BT should be on his farm and nowhere to effect the coverage of game itself.
Think next time for before posting it...lol
Well i was originally thinking wrapped in 500kg of chain dumped at the bottom of the mariainis trench but i was trying to be a nicer person

The point has gone straight over your head. The review system reviews and gives the oppertunity for wrong decisions to be overturned. Even if the review system is wrong with a decision, the initial umpire decision is STILL wrong to begin with. Therefore atleast there's a chance for the correct result to be achieved. Without the review system we'd have to stick to the umpires decision which was wrong anyway ya peanuts. Without the review system another 3 wrong umpiring decisions would've stuck in that game. 3 correct out of 4 questionable decisions is better than having all 4 wrong.

Garbage

I just don't know how they came to decision. HOW? It was as clear as day, surely they knew that there would be major backlash because of it. I'm just damn glad the result wasn't decided by it. AFL would have been even more of a laughing stock than they already are.

In the replay during the game, I was looking at Shaw's hand, no doubt the reviewers were too. Keefe's hand is kind of hard to pick up. It doesn't surprise me that they didn't feel confident enough to overturn the decision.

In the end, it was the umpires that got it wrong, the review just didn't pick up on it. There are a hundred missed calls every game, things that are hard to see with the naked eye. Pushes in the back against Grundy, anyone? Move on.

Horseshit.

It opens up the game to matchfixing for inconsistent reviews.

Just look at this thread. No one would be outraged that a field umpire missed that pinky flick. But theres no excuse for the reviewers.

If it's broken then get rid of it. If I wanted to see clowns i'd go to the circus.

They should put accelerometers inside the ball so that they can easily check vibration to detect touch and have other stats like speed and distance for broadcast.

it would have been the second time poor officiating in a prelim cost gws a gf berth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cricket needs it. Only have to look at the Ashes to look at how bad the umpires can be.

AFL brought in for blunders like the Hawkins poster in 2009. I get the desire to get everything right but the goal umpires have seemingly forgotten they’re the ones making the original decision. They’re scared of backing themselves and we see far too much stuff reviewed. Also have to sit through garbage advertising to get to a decision. Just flash it up immediately. Not hard.
Wasn't it brought in after the Wellingham poster was paid a goal in the third quarter of the 2011 GF?

If they're going to do this ARC bullshit, just utilise this generation of kids raised on Fortnite and League of Legends. They'd pick that sort of thing up in a millisecond.

Don't even have to pay them, just upgrade their gaming gear to the type of stuff they have in that little control room and you'd get the best outcome.

Well the goal umpire must be delusional too, he called it a goal.

Is this for real?

The ball changed the course of its path by at least two feet.

Have you seen the front on footage? Because moat of the footage shown is the one from behind?

Categorically the front on footage shows the ball hits the arm before it crossed the goal line.

I reckon that the GWS players reaction should have clued the ARC in that it might be worth a closer look. There is no way you could get players to contrive going up in unison for a touched ball like that. Not saying it must have definitely been touched because the players appealed like that, but certainly would have warranted more than the cursory glance they ended up giving it.

I reckon that the GWS players reaction should have clued the ARC in that it might be worth a closer look. There is no way you could get players to contrive going up in unison for a touched ball like that. Not saying it must have definitely been touched because the players appealed like that, but certainly would have warranted more than the cursory glance they ended up giving it.

Allegedly they check every score?

Looking at how obvious it was, whoever ruled it "not touched" must have been desperately looking for a way to exert some influence. There is no other mindset that could allow you to accept logic this faulty.

47 TV's for this ARC system and they still managed to employee Ray Charles to do the reviews.

The AFL are an absolute bush league, that is the reality. Couldn't manage a root in a brothel.

Goal umpires don’t back themselves nearly as much as they used to.

So many obvious decisions end up reviewed because they’re scared of getting one wrong.

Its what happens when you introduce new technology. No goal umpire is going to risk their career by not referring when there is the slightest chance they have it wrong. Easier to say 'I think its a goal but check just in case - I don't want to lose my job'

Look at cricket, a player can be run-out by 4 feet and they'll still refer the decision.

47 TV's for this ARC system and they still managed to employee Ray Charles to do the reviews.

The AFL are an absolute bush league, that is the reality. Couldn't manage a root in a brothel.

Love to be a fly on the wall whe they came up with the design for the ARC:

Gil: how many TV's do we need?
Other guy: Honestly, 1
Gil: that wont look very impressive, think we need more
Other Guy: how many? 2? 5? 10? 20+?
Gil: 10 would look good, but 20+ would look awesome, maybe throw in some bright colours and a big desk

If GWS lost by one goal or less there would be a petition to overturn the result and calls to boycott the Grand Final.

Similar to the NFC championship game no-call between the Rams and Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back