newcs

Club Legend
May 16, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
I wonder if any FIFA officials decided to have a look at this wierd game that a couple of Australian states refer to as "Football".
They must have a giggle when the AFL use The ARC to help with decisions. It must look very amatuerish compared to their VAR.

I wonder if any FIFA officials decided to have a look at this wierd game that a couple of Australian states refer to as "Football".
They must have a giggle when the AFL use The ARC to help with decisions. It must look very amatuerish compared to their VAR.
I'd be more interested in their opinion of the NRL.
For some reason fans of soccer/association football in Australia love comparing the sport to the AFL but never seem to mention the NRL.

Where not really looking at the same thing half the time. If your talking about it crossing a line then sure . But a large percentage of ours are touched plays that are very hard to tell when there isn't much in it.

There are only so many spots you can mount a camera and depth perception is a real thing. Even the NFL have issues with too much congestion on short gain plays that blocks views of the ball and the line of scrimmage.

Even as is 50fps just isn't enough to get the exact position you want.

For some reason fans of soccer/association football in Australia love comparing the sport to the AFL but never seem to mention the NRL.
They probably show more respect towards Rugby because it is actually played at international level.

Because nrl is a turn based possession sport not a 360 degree strategy sport for starters

The only thing soccer and rugby league have in common is a variation of the offside rule.

The VAR that had the French claim a corner the other night after they'd played the ball out of bounds, that VAR?

Have... Have you seen VAR? Did you see that a VAR operator in the EPL got the sack last year because he made a horrendous call so bad and it cost a team a game?

VAR can be VERY amateurish at times.

The AFL's video replay is a joke, mainly because of the cheap tech and lack of effort they have put into it. They have some nice shots of a room full of screens and people for publicity, but the equipment on the ground is what counts (and costs money).

But I don't think from what I have seen in the soccer world cup that they have a superior system. Did you see the goal the US kicked? Their system said it was in by a mm, but theres just no way the tech had the accuracy to determine that. There's just not enough pixels on a camera to get a balls position milometer perfect from the stand. Theres no GPS system on earth that will claim to get an object to the nearest millimeter. That's simply placing too much faith in technology.

I think its fine. I would rather just have umpires call and not worry about any TV umpire but I get that it was brought in to stop the absolute howlers which is exactly what a reasonably amateur set up like this can do. If you cant tell for sure from 3 or 4 different camera replays then it is close enough to just go with the umpire who is paid to do that job

But I don't think from what I have seen in the soccer world cup that they have a superior system. Did you see the goal the US kicked? Their system said it was in by a mm, but theres just no way the tech had the accuracy to determine that. There's just not enough pixels on a camera to get a balls position milometer perfect from the stand. Theres no GPS system on earth that will claim to get an object to the nearest millimeter. That's simply placing too much faith in technology.
I was wondering when that would be brought up. You are quite right - there is no way the current technology can get that level of accuracy in the computer-generated image that is drawn on the screen (the tennis use the same system). But - they've said: 'This is what we have, this is the best we can do right now. The technology will improve, the accuracy will improve. Live with it'.

At least it provides a clear process that produces a clear unarguable line. Once you agree on the process, the augument over whether it is technically the right call disappears.

AFL has a far, far more complex set of decisions for goal line review (let alone 'touched' or not). The divider between whether the ball has 'crossed the line' or not is not even a straight line (when you remeber the posts and padding are a part of the goal line)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My Samsung has a better camera than AFL goal lines.
remember the Gameboy camera? still better

nintendo-gameboy-camera-2.jpg

Why does the footage always look like its been recorded on a 1990's hand held videocamera.

Don't the broadcasters shoot games in 4k?

Embarassing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back