Opinion 13 Premierships Shared Between Just 4 Teams in the Last 17 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure let's look at the numbers

1970-9: Carlton x 3, Hawthorn x 3, North Melbourne x 2, Richmond x 2

1980-9: Hawthorn x 4, Carlton x 3, Essendon x 2, Richmond

1990-9: North Melbourne x 2, Adelaide x 2, West Coast x 2, Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon

2000-9: Brisbane x 3, Geelong x 2, Essendon, West Coast, Sydney, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide

2010-9: Hawthorn x 3, Richmond x 2, West Coast, Western Bulldogs, Geelong, Sydney

2020-3: Richmond, Melbourne, Geelong, Collingwood

So yeah every decade has a few teams dominate

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
No, but if you rolled a dice 17 times you would be a little surprised if the dice came up heads 15 times and tailes twice.
AFL is an 18 sided dice, not a heads and tails one. If you rolled an 18 sided dice 17 times I reckon the results would be similar to AFL premierships the past 17 years.

Yeah but let’s talk about Plugger and getting Roos to coach and other sweet deals set up for Swans by the AFL commission.
Uh excuse me? We were a basketcase in 1994 and AFL helped us get Plugger and Roos. How is that any different from Melbourne being a basketcase in 2013 and getting cash from the AFL to snag Paul Roos? Or all the free draft picks North Melbourne and other bottom teams keep getting?

Uh excuse me? We were a basketcase in 1994 and AFL helped us get Plugger and Roos. How is that any different from Melbourne being a basketcase in 2013 and getting cash from the AFL to snag Paul Roos? Or all the free draft picks North Melbourne and other bottom teams keep getting?
Helped? Sure did. The AFL took control of the club.

With the Victorian clubs being on one half of the 18 side dice and non Victorian being on the other.
Non Vic clubs make up half the teams the past 17 years?

Grand finals on your home ground.
Remember we're 2-0 of late against your mob in home prelims 2012 & 2022
I agreed re the Grand Final. My saving grace is Collingwood personally haven’t unfairly beaten an interstate side with this advantage in their history.

Other finals are played at the rightful team’s home ground though.

Other nonsense like F&S, FA etc. is a BS copout.

I agreed re the Grand Final. My saving grace is Collingwood personally haven’t unfairly beaten an interstate side with this advantage in their history.

Other finals are played at the rightful team’s home ground though.

Other nonsense like F&S, FA etc. is a BS copout.
You have done quite well out of the FS, I'm not against this or free agency.
I do believe it's easier to recruit in Melbourne, not saying you have.
The pies have built the list from the ground up.
No high profile recruits

You have done quite well out of the FS, I'm not against this or free agency.
I do believe it's easier to recruit in Melbourne, not saying you have.
The pies have built the list from the ground up.
No high profile recruits
No club has recruited high priced key forwards at the rate sydney has. Lockett, Hall, Tippett, Franklin.

Sydney doesn't struggle with recruitment. Generally at the expense of Victorian clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No club has recruited high priced key forwards at the rate sydney has. Lockett, Hall, Tippett, Franklin.

Sydney doesn't struggle with recruitment. Generally at the expense of Victorian clubs.
Franklin was recruited a decade ago

No, but what's your point?
No point was just asking a question, just seeing which other big name recruits have moved. I suppose Dangerfield and Jeremy Cameron the biggest off the top of my head

St Kilda are 0 from 57, Carlton are 0 from 28, North Melbourne are 0 from 23 and Essendon are 0 from 22. That’s 4 of the 6 longest premierships droughts in the competition. With Freo the exception, the only other interstate side there is Adelaide who has won 2 in a row before their drought.

It’s not just interstate sides who find it hard to win premierships.
Whereas mcg tenants……

Whereas mcg tenants……
8 flags won at the ‘G in the last 22 years of which 4 are Hawthorns - are we saying them being MCG tenants was the reason for their 4 flags?

Take away Hawthorns (who spend plenty of time in Tassie) - it’s 4 flags won at the ‘G by MCG tenants in 22 years. Two of those are Collingwood where we finished first and earned the right to host the GF at the ‘G.

Hardly riveting numbers.

St Kilda are 0 from 57, Carlton are 0 from 28, North Melbourne are 0 from 23 and Essendon are 0 from 22. That’s 4 of the 6 longest premierships droughts in the competition. With Freo the exception, the only other interstate side there is Adelaide who has won 2 in a row before their drought.

It’s not just interstate sides who find it hard to win premierships.
Dockers are 0 from 29.

And how many premiership cups has Freo won in this time span? LoL
I mean how many opportunities have Freo given themselves.

How many times has Freo had a run at the top, like once 12-15. I’m not talking about one pop up and disappear season like 06 but legitimate runs.

Freo have consistently shot themselves in the foot with drafting and trading.

It’s not the West Australia factor because West Coast is able to go on a run every 4-5 years.
Honestly with your home ground advantage you should be banking around 10 wins a year unless it completely falls off the rails like West Coast the last two years.

West coast has gotten less than 10 wins only 9 times from 37 seasons. Freo however is at 15 from 29 seasons, so what is wrong with Freo that more than half your seasons end with less then 10 wins? Mind you another 4 finished exactly on 10 so yeah Freo have had a losing record in 19 of 29 seasons.

Maybe you should just admit Freo is a poorly run club.

And you do realise they rorted the salary cap and had them taken away
You can thank Brian Waldron for that, but not all of them were tarnished. From 2010, the Storm have had had long term success and don't whinge about where the Granny is played, because it's not something that is changeable from their perspective. They don't whine like little bitches!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back