Opinion 13 Premierships Shared Between Just 4 Teams in the Last 17 years

Remove this Banner Ad

The major difference between the modern era and the 70s/80s, is that pretty much any club could win flags regardless of size or stature. In that era, clubs like StKilda, Fitzroy, the Dees, Swans and Dogs were straight-up non-starters.

You can be a Free Agent and be traded.... it's called Restricted Free Agency.
We basically managed to get the 2022 flag out of Restricted Free Agency, which pushed a trade. Cameron was the difference in our QF against Collingwood, and Dangerfield was our best player across the whole finals series. Not having them easily meant no premiership.

You can be a Free Agent and be traded.... it's called Restricted Free Agency.
The free agency part become null and void once the Crows said they would match. It then becomes a trade.

An offer to a Restricted Free Agent may be matched by their Club. Should their original Club match the offer, and the Restricted Free Agent Player does not wish to remain with their original Club, they must enter the National Draft or seek a trade.
from here Free Agency

We basically managed to get the 2022 flag out of Restricted Free Agency, which pushed a trade. Cameron was the difference in our QF against Collingwood, and Dangerfield was our best player across the whole finals series. Not having them easily meant no premiership.
RFA being matched is no different to any old out of contract player being traded. Geelong's most successful Free Agent was Isaac Smith followed by Luke Dahlhaus.

RFA being matched is no different to any old out of contract player being traded. Geelong's most successful Free Agent was Isaac Smith followed by Luke Dahlhaus.
I disagree - I think that Free Agency opened the market up to the point whereas it made the trade reasonable and possible, without the cries of Judas or similar.

I disagree - I think that Free Agency opened the market up to the point whereas it made the trade reasonable and possible, without the cries of Judas or similar.
They were no different to Jordan Clark and Tim Kelly heading back to Perth after their contract expired though - it's a trade. The furphy that Geelong has benefitted exponentially through free agency is pure delusion. Tom Lynch to Richmond for free was free agency, Jeremy Cameron to Geelong for three first round picks was a trade.

They were no different to Jordan Clark and Tim Kelly heading back to Perth after their contract expired though - it's a trade. The furphy that Geelong has benefitted exponentially through free agency is pure delusion. Tom Lynch to Richmond for free was free agency, Jeremy Cameron to Geelong for three first round picks was a trade.
Yes, it was a trade - but I think that Free Agency is what made the trade itself permissable.

In the pre-FA era, it was incredibly rare for superstars to change clubs at the peak of their powers. Diesel, Lockett and Judd were pretty much it. I guess you could include Ablett and Capper, but start-up clubs with Godfather money are a bit of a one-off.

Free Agency changed the game for player movement.

The free agency part become null and void once the Crows said they would match. It then becomes a trade.

An offer to a Restricted Free Agent may be matched by their Club. Should their original Club match the offer, and the Restricted Free Agent Player does not wish to remain with their original Club, they must enter the National Draft or seek a trade.
from here Free Agency

His status as a restricted free agent means he can move as a free agent or via trade. Neither of which change his status of being a restricted free agent. Simply the mechanism via which he moved. In this case to secure better compensation for Adelaide because Geelong were paying a very modest contract versus the quality of player they were receiving.

Seems a hell of a lot like you're trying to argue some kind of technicality for no discernible reason here.

Dangerfield was a Restricted Free Agent who moved clubs via a trade. You can decide whether you're discussing his status or the mechanism he moved clubs by.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His status as a restricted free agent means he can move as a free agent or via trade. Neither of which change his status of being a restricted free agent. Simply the mechanism via which he moved. In this case to secure better compensation for Adelaide because Geelong were paying a very modest contract versus the quality of player they were receiving.

Seems a hell of a lot like you're trying to argue some kind of technicality for no discernible reason here.

Dangerfield was a Restricted Free Agent who moved clubs via a trade. You can decide whether you're discussing his status or the mechanism he moved clubs by.
My discussion is with the other poster who claimed he was a free agent and conveniently ignored that there was a trade.
Once a trade is involved it kind of negates the whole "free" part, no?

The major difference between the modern era and the 70s/80s, is that pretty much any club could win flags regardless of size or stature. In that era, clubs like StKilda, Fitzroy, the Dees, Swans and Dogs were straight-up non-starters.
I feel like that is the sort of thing you say in retrospect. In 1970 hawthorn was a small and unsuccessful club, having won a single flag in 45 years and having a pretty atrocious history.

And then they blew the competition away. That could just as easily have been any of the other small fry had a few things gone differently.

I feel like that is the sort of thing you say in retrospect. In 1970 hawthorn was a small and unsuccessful club, having won a single flag in 45 years and having a pretty atrocious history.

And then they blew the competition away. That could just as easily have been any of the other small fry had a few things gone differently.
With the aid of an extremely generous recruiting zone, yes.

With the aid of an extremely generous recruiting zone, yes.
Again, I feel like these are the sorts of things we tend to say in hindsight. We have seen clubs recently have infinite top 5 draft picks and just keep losing indefinitely.

It takes more to be successful than just having a few good kids walk in the door.

Again, I feel like these are the sorts of things we tend to say in hindsight. We have seen clubs recently have infinite top 5 draft picks and just keep losing indefinitely.

It takes more to be successful than just having a few good kids walk in the door.
Absolutely, credit to Kennedy, Parkin and Jeans, plus the likes of Crimmins, Matthews and Scott. But no doubt as well that having such a historically fertile area as the Peninsula plus a big whack of Gippsland was a massive boon for the club.

Absolutely, credit to Kennedy, Parkin and Jeans, plus the likes of Crimmins, Matthews and Scott. But no doubt as well that having such a historically fertile area as the Peninsula plus a big whack of Gippsland was a massive boon for the club.
Definitely a big help others didn't get. I was just arguing lots of clubs get a variety of different advantages and then fail to use them.

The well run clubs get full value.

My discussion is with the other poster who claimed he was a free agent and conveniently ignored that there was a trade.
Once a trade is involved it kind of negates the whole "free" part, no?

Not necessarily, being a RFA often helps force a trade where it might not otherwise occur. Clubs are often reticent to actually hold a player that wants out by matching a contract offer, it's just in the Dangerfield case whilst Geelong didn't have anywhere near the true trade value of the player, the contract offer was quite modest and would have meant the compensation was even further away from his actual trade value.

If he wasn't a free agent he either gets traded for significantly more, or not traded at all. Like Tim Kelly.

Not really. It is when the Victorian clubs started dominating. Since 2007 non-Victorian clubs have only won 2 premierships, both winning them in the dying seconds so it could have very easily been no premierships.
And before that, non-vic sides won 6 in a row, hence the arbitrary timeline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back