Opinion 13 Premierships Shared Between Just 4 Teams in the Last 17 years

Remove this Banner Ad

And ??

Is there a point
There has been 23 opportunities from the last 33 Grand Finals for an interstate side to win the flag and they’ve fallen short on that particular day.

If there was some sort of conspiracy theory going on, there wouldn’t be an interstate side playing off in 70% of Grand Finals in the last 33 years.

Yep. I suggested yesterday a 10% retention bonus so if a player is drafted to a different state they are given a 10% retention bonus on top of their contract for the life of their career as long as they stay at the club they were drafted at. The moment they change clubs that bonus disappears.
That would have some strange outcomes. A WA team might be more inclined to draft an SA player because they can offer them more money in the future (which I think would be bad) but NT players in general would be seen to have potential benefits (which I think would be a great outcome).

Overall though, assuming your idea is mostly intended to protect the northern clubs from raiding, I support policies designed in that direction.

That would have some strange outcomes. A WA team might be more inclined to draft an SA player because they can offer them more money in the future (which I think would be bad) but NT players in general would be seen to have potential benefits (which I think would be a great outcome).

Overall though, assuming your idea is mostly intended to protect the northern clubs from raiding, I support policies designed in that direction.

Not just Northern clubs but also making West Coast for instance a little more comfortable possibly drafting a Vic Metro player, which at the moment they are rightfully avoiding due to the high go home factor associated with Vic Metro players.

There has been 23 opportunities from the last 33 Grand Finals for an interstate side to win the flag and they’ve fallen short on that particular day.

If there was some sort of conspiracy theory going on, there wouldn’t be an interstate side playing off in 70% of Grand Finals in the last 33 years.
And Brisbane and sydney still have cola.

I think 2 out of last 16 flags talks for itself

Not just Northern clubs but also making West Coast for instance a little more comfortable possibly drafting a Vic Metro player, which at the moment they are rightfully avoiding due to the high go home factor associated with Vic Metro players.
For the most part I haven't been worried about WA and SA retention. Maybe Freo a little, but I don't see it as a big deal. The one really bad loss Adelaide (danger) and WC (judd) had I don't think could have been solved with 10 percent more cash.

This seems like a northern solution to me. Which is fine, the raiding needs to stop.

And Brisbane and sydney still have cola.

I think 2 out of last 16 flags talks for itself
2 out of 17 actually.
St Kilda are 0 from 57, Carlton are 0 from 28, North Melbourne are 0 from 23 and Essendon are 0 from 22. That’s 4 of the 6 longest premierships droughts in the competition. With Freo the exception, the only other interstate side there is Adelaide who has won 2 in a row before their drought.

It’s not just interstate sides who find it hard to win premierships.

St Kilda are 0 from 57, Carlton are 0 from 28, North Melbourne are 0 from 23 and Essendon are 0 from 22. That’s 4 of the 6 longest premierships droughts in the competition. With Freo the exception, the only other interstate side there is Adelaide who has won 2 in a row before their drought.

It’s not just interstate sides who find it hard to win premierships.
Except it is all non Vic sides

Haha

You survive off 1 Friday and Thursday night games , 3 national broadcast games on average for 10 years, 1 father son and we can talk.

Until then stfu
That’s the sort of attitude that makes me happy, as you’ll just continue on being nobodies while the rest of us win the flags that you whine about not being in reach of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what's the solution? Give everyone a participation award?

Maybe they can become like WWE and schedule winners every year so everyone gets a fair go

What is this specific advantage exactly? What is the AFL doing exactly that results in Vic clubs winning 80% of flags?
Grand final played in mcg
Father son
Nga
Marquee matches
90% of afl officials based in Victoria
Free agency

Over 30 years , if vic clubs win 80 percent will you concede?

In the last year, 100% of the flags have been won by a Victorian team.
same occured in 2022 and 2021

there are also 27% of people who can spell the word “center” correctly in a sentence

Grand final played in mcg
Father son
Nga
Marquee matches
90% of afl officials based in Victoria
Free agency

Over 30 years , if vic clubs win 80 percent will you concede?
GF venue is really the only thing I can agree with you about.

The rest is pretty poor tbh.

What is this specific advantage exactly? What is the AFL doing exactly that results in Vic clubs winning 80% of flags?

These are just my guesses but

- Victorian clubs don't need to travel anywhere near as far as Non-Victorian.

- Drafting and trading is easier for Victorian clubs as most Victorian clubs don't need to worry about flight risk players nearly as much. It is also easier for Victorian clubs to trade for players based on need compared to non-Victorian.

- Vicrtorian clubs are more easily able to organise jobs to pay some of their players outside the cap.

- Similar to drafting and trading but when a Victorian club is s**t they don't have the mass exodas that a lot of Non-Victorian clubs have due to players more likely to want to go home if they are in a bad team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back