The ARC. FIFA must just laugh at it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy has more right to be called football over soccer due to the fact it actually predates soccer as a sport
Honestly, this is a very 1990s argument. Now that Australia has been exposed to global sports via streaming platforms, I think there's a reasonable amount of acceptance that all of AFL, the two Rugby codes, soccer and gridiron can be called football.

FIFA football used the term soccer to move into new markets particularly USA

Socceroos?

Don’t get salty when people keep using the term.

What must have them laughing more is that they have the ARC but didn't use it when they needed it.

Footy has more right to be called football over soccer due to the fact it actually predates soccer as a sport
Extremely bad call. Soccer "Football" is played probably 95% by foot.
Anyway I much prefer AFL over soccer anyway but I try not to be short sighted.

Simply put - Foot + ball - Football.

Kick, handball, tap, punch/spoil - Football? Can be confusing at times.

Last edited:
Extremely bad call. Soccer "Football" is played probably 95% by foot.
Anyway I much prefer AFL over soccer anyway but I try not to be short sighted.

Simply put - Foot + ball - Football.

Kick, handball, tap, punch/spoil - Football? Can be confusing at times.
American “football” is even more of a joke - most players never kick the ball!

Some sources say it was originally called football, because it was played 'on foot'. There were lots of ball games played for centuries - Romans had ball games, Inuit played ball games. WE could talk abot Marngrook. Some involved kicking, some involved throwing (eg handball), some carrying (rugby) - every town had it's own rules. Even in Australia, there were a myriad of different sports sports played - sometimes just people mucking about with a ball.

The fact the Australian rules were 'codified' before Association Football is a fun fact to throw at your pommy mates, but really meaningless in relation to today's game. If you read the original Melbourne rules of 1859, almost all of them have been changed or modified along the way - except for a goal must pass between the posts and must not be touched by another player from either side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back