The Association Football AFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Excellent fixture for us. Prime time galore, we will finally play Carlton at home for the first time in 8 years and no trips to Geelong or Tassie. Only 2 games at the G is disappointing though, especially given we've just come off a GF. We usually play Carlton there so I'm not sure why that's changed and we have a large supporter base in the NT so the trip to the red centre makes sense from that point of view. Would've preferred to play them in Melbourne though.

How you spun the deal into other interests doesn't affect how we made out like bandits. Just means someone else down the line got screwed.
I think it was GWS giving up a first rounder for Deledio that is the raw deal.

Yeah Geelong got away with the good end of the deal but it was part of us securing Marchbank and Pickett who look like being good long term players for us.

The trade that made no sense then and none now is the pick swap with Hawthorn to help them get JOM

Boekhorst a bit stiff to be delisted. Thought he had a good finish to the season that would keep him on. Sounds like Nick Graham has survived ahead of him somehow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah Geelong got away with the good end of the deal but it was part of us securing Marchbank and Pickett who look like being good long term players for us.

The trade that made no sense then and none now is the pick swap with Hawthorn to help them get JOM

Boekhorst a bit stiff to be delisted. Thought he had a good finish to the season that would keep him on. Sounds like Nick Graham has survived ahead of him somehow
Yep when a player requests a trade and nominates one club you are generally going to lose him for unders, we got what we needed for the GWS trade out of it and Smedts was always just steak knives. Rumour at the time was we wanted Lang in the deal instead who we end up getting for bugger all a year later.

Agree on Boek, thought he showed enough to be given a chance particularly with our lack of quick midfielders. Fair chance to get picked up by someone as DFA I reckon.

Think it was Bolton who never took to him. Always in and out of the side player. SOS just thought Boekhorst was a waste of a pick in the first round which he has proven to be. If he went when he should have around 50-60 that year he'd probably have had a chance

Think it was Bolton who never took to him. Always in and out of the side player. SOS just thought Boekhorst was a waste of a pick in the first round which he has proven to be. If he went when he should have around 50-60 that year he'd probably have had a chance
Don't subscribe to that at all. How would being drafted any later have impacted his ability to make it as a footballer? It's not like there hasn't been opportunity with us.

Don't subscribe to that at all. How would being drafted any later have impacted his ability to make it as a footballer? It's not like there hasn't been opportunity with us.
it would have impacted the pressure he felt along the way i think

jack watts has said as much actually, being an earlier pick does make people inside and outside the club expect more from them and quicker too

it would have impacted the pressure he felt along the way i think

jack watts has said as much actually, being an earlier pick does make people inside and outside the club expect more from them and quicker too
Pick 1 is very different to pick 19 though. Outside of the club, there really wasn't a whole lot of expectation on him.

Pick 1 is very different to pick 19 though. Outside of the club, there really wasn't a whole lot of expectation on him.
Still a first round pick.

For instance there'll always be higher expectations (and was going into the season) of SPS over Tom Williamson, or McKay over JSOS.

The earlier pick has to deal with that pressure and some aren't up to that extra pressure. Whether or not they're up to it in general or just that burden is another question. With BB and Watts I think they've both got the ability to do better than they have but that pressure side of things they've failed at. Would a clean run pressure wise being pick 42 have helped them get to 20-30 games without the world being expected of them?

Still a first round pick.

For instance there'll always be higher expectations (and was going into the season) of SPS over Tom Williamson, or McKay over JSOS.

The earlier pick has to deal with that pressure and some aren't up to that extra pressure. Whether or not they're up to it in general or just that burden is another question. With BB and Watts I think they've both got the ability to do better than they have but that pressure side of things they've failed at. Would a clean run pressure wise being pick 42 have helped them get to 20-30 games without the world being expected of them?
If it's a problem for him being pick 19, he shouldn't be nominating for the draft. Pick 1 I kind of get, anything else and they just aren't cut out for AFL football.

If it's a problem for him being pick 19, he shouldn't be nominating for the draft. Pick 1 I kind of get, anything else and they just aren't cut out for AFL football.
That's a very simple way of looking at human behaviour. End of the day some are able to be robots and deal with anything thrown there way and others can't. Doesn't mean they dont have the talent to make it they've just struggled with the pressure of being a first round pick which would be eased being pick 50ish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back