Religion The Bible: Literal, figurative, bulldust?

Remove this Banner Ad

paulige

You misunderstood the Einstein quote

"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this."
Albert Einstein

paulige

You misunderstood the Einstein quote

"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this."
Albert Einstein

I don’t think I did. I agree with that one too. The one concerning Spinoza’s God is also good. 👍

My view of the bible is that it’s metaphorical, but corruptible.

I don’t think I did. I agree with that one too. The one concerning Spinoza’s God is also good. 👍

My view of the bible is that it’s metaphorical, but corruptible.
You'll probably find some common ground with Total Power

I mean this sincerely - you haven't given me anything that's going to trouble my worldview thus far. You're more than welcome to hang around and poke holes in atheism if you like, but I'll be looking to pull apart your worldview at the same time.

If thats your thing, hang around. If not, I don't blame you for bowing out like most theists do.

Why does a 'real scientist' need to have faith?

The concept of a soul provides a supernatural explanation of the phenomenon of human consciousness. Where is the evidence to support the existence of a soul?

Modern science seems to be focused on just the material cause and the efficient cause. Science needs to go back to a broader view and look at the formal cause of things and what is the purpose . Science is a little bit limited at the moment but will change .

You'll probably find some common ground with Total Power

I mean this sincerely - you haven't given me anything that's going to trouble my worldview thus far. You're more than welcome to hang around and poke holes in atheism if you like, but I'll be looking to pull apart your worldview at the same time.

If thats your thing, hang around. If not, I don't blame you for bowing out like most theists do.

I don’t need to - we all have all we need to develop our worldview.

By the definition of theist, I’m definitely not a theist. Which I guess makes me an atheist. Sort of.

Honestly I’m not a big fan of the back and forth style on here (or the “poking holes” as you put it), because no one is looking to have their mind changed. And things are easily misinterpreted via text, so tends to get too argumentative/personal.

Science needs to go back to a broader view and look at the formal cause of things and what is the purpose .

No it doesn't. There doesn't need to be a "purpose".
Science is a little bit limited at the moment but will change .

Science deals with evidence and the material and not the unprovable supernatural believed as truth and based wholly on faith.

No it doesn't. There doesn't need to be a "purpose".

Science deals with evidence and the material and not the unprovable supernatural believed as truth and based wholly on faith.

Would you agree that the bolded is an opinion?

And if so, that opinions are not necessarily true?

I don’t need to - we all have all we need to develop our worldview.

By the definition of theist, I’m definitely not a theist. Which I guess makes me an atheist. Sort of.

Honestly I’m not a big fan of the back and forth style on here (or the “poking holes” as you put it), because no one is looking to have their mind changed. And things are easily misinterpreted via text, so tends to get too argumentative/personal.
Fair enough. How did you come to accept your current beliefs?

Would you agree that the bolded is an opinion?

And if so, that opinions are not necessarily true?
The purpose is found in evolution - survival and adaptation along with procreation.

What reasons do you have to think there's more to it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm very relaxed.

Existence doesn't need a purpose. I guess it is comforting to believe that life has a meaning and purpose but it is very likely to be just a random act in a cold, unfeeling universe. I guess religious belief / faith brings some sort of comfort that one's life isn't meaningless.

I'm very relaxed.

Existence doesn't need a purpose. I guess it is comforting to believe that life has a meaning and purpose but it is very likely to be just a random act in a cold, unfeeling universe. I guess religious belief / faith brings some sort of comfort that one's life isn't meaningless.

But don’t stop science from discovering if we have a purpose or not.

But don’t stop science from discovering if we have a purpose or not.

And how would science go about 'discovering' that?

The two purposes of life we already know plenty about, through science, are survival and reproduction.

There is certainly no evidence that there is some overall plan (or purpose) to make life more complex (through mutation) so that it can finally generate intelligent beings and that there must be a planner behind the whole thing. Mutations do not have a plan. There is no choreographer.

And the Bible is certainly no evidence of such.

Modern science seems to be focused on just the material cause and the efficient cause. Science needs to go back to a broader view and look at the formal cause of things and what is the purpose . Science is a little bit limited at the moment but will change .
While that's the half truth, it can disprove the Biblical claims. There's no Adam, therefore no original sin, therefore no need for a saviour from the punishment from that original sin. This thought kept Darwin awake at night but he couldn't deny it.

If we evolved through natural processes what do we need saving from and why?

Let’s find out if gravity has a purpose. Keep it all sciencey..

It's just realistic cause then you can claim anything without having the need to provide any evidence for it. This is why belief is so subjective.

No matter what you can't not taint everything with your own subjectivity, and any reasoning begins necessarily with yourself. If you think God dictates morality, it's only because you decided so, which is simply your subjective opinion. And then you proceed to add more subjectivity on top of whatever you think God wants.

Read up on some psychology - Jungian psychology for example delves far beyond materialism.

There's better odds on Essendon winning the next 10 premierships than science accepting nonsense from the bible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back