Outlook Rocky: he likes an expensive Tawny

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the news that rocky would like to stay, what sort of money are people willing to pay him? I'd value him in the second tier of midfielders (so worth a bit less per year than dusty, dangerfield etc). Also think he shouldn't be earning more money than Beams.

If he has cleaned up his act (and I think the club's willingness to keep him probably indicates he is behaving better) I'd be happy to keep him.
Whow cares how much $ he gets? Really, its up to the club to make that decision. Whether he gets more than another is irrevelant. We need Rocky to stay & help develop this young squad into winning games. He has a huge part to play. (as does Beams)

The last rumors about McStay was that he was keen to be a forward? Has that changed? If it hasn't, Schache leaving probably opens the door for that possibility a little?
Think he has been firming as more of a backline option and he apears to be comfortable with that. Seems to have a clearer understanding of what is required of him and is developing accordingly.

The last rumors about McStay was that he was keen to be a forward? Has that changed? If it hasn't, Schache leaving probably opens the door for that possibility a little?

It wasn't a rumour. He said he wanted to play forward. He also said he was happy to play down back.

What a lot of people forget about Mcstay is we drafted him as a long term development prospect. He came on a lot faster than expected but has always had years of developmental needs. I feel in a year or two he will be a very, very good defender.

What a lot of people forget about Mcstay is we drafted him as a long term development prospect. He came on a lot faster than expected but has always had years of developmental needs. I feel in a year or two he will be a very, very good defender.
Getting there now I reckon. It isn't inate for him and he needs to learn it by rote, but he's getting there.

Getting there now I reckon. It isn't inate for him and he needs to learn it by rote, but he's getting there.

Concentration lapses are a big issue but hopefully playing on Buddy has shown him how much mental effort goes into being an elite AFL footballer.

I forget where it was reported (think it was on the draft & free agency board), but some said (I know I know) a mate of theirs spoke to McStay over the preseason, an McStay said he planed on staying in Brisbane as he likes that he has little to no competition for a place in the squad.

I forget where it was reported (think it was on the draft & free agency board), but some said (I know I know) a mate of theirs spoke to McStay over the preseason, an McStay said he planed on staying in Brisbane as he likes that he has little to no competition for a place in the squad.
Yep, I saw that too, but-
upload_2017-5-25_16-35-57.jpeg

Tom Rockliff opens contract talks with Brisbane Lions after return to form on field
Andrew Hamilton, The Courier-Mail
28 minutes ago
BRISBANE have received a circuit breaker from an unlikely source with former skipper Tom Rockliff opening talks on a new deal.

The Lions are anchored to the bottom of the ladder and going through a tough time off the field with out-of-contract forward Josh Schache granted leave as he considers a return to Victoria.

The club were bracing for a backlash if they lost Rockliff and also allowed Schache to leave and have been urged by former captain Jonathan Brown to match any rival club’s offer for the No. 2 draft pick.

However, the Lions are not prepared to pay anywhere close to the $700,000 figure that has been reported.

Rockliff’s future at Brisbane was in doubt last year when he put contract talks on hold as relations soured with the club.

During the trade period both parties were open to a deal but there were no suitors for the former All-Australian.

He returned after the break with an improved attitude and finished second to Dayne Beams in the captaincy ballot.

He has also reproduced his very best form averaging 30 possessions, 10 clearances and eight tackles a game before injuring his shoulder against Hawthorn in Round 8.

Rockliff is a free agent at the end of the season and can walk out on the Lions if he chooses.

Although a new deal is not a fait accompli, the fact he has told his management group to reopen talks is a major improvement on the feelings between club and player late last season.

CEO Greg Swann confirmed the stalemate had ended and talks were underway.

“He’s willing to start talks so that’s a start,’’ he said.

Meanwhile, the Lions have finally struck a deal with Carlton for women’s star Tayla Harris, which sees Blues forward Bella Ayre and midfielder Nat Exon join the club.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...d/news-story/095587ca0f39a6bf87df4828b267fbe3

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon too much was made of clubs not making an offer on Rockliff last year. Would have cost a substantial amount in salary and draft picks. Not worth the risk when they could try and pry him away this year as a free agent.

Glad it looks like he might stay.

Reckon too much was made of clubs not making an offer on Rockliff last year. Would have cost a substantial amount in salary and draft picks. Not worth the risk when they could try and pry him away this year as a free agent.

A Grade mid on the market at a discount. There would be plenty interested under normal circumstances.

Have you been hearing good things about Rocky this year?
From my perspective, it's not so much about hearing good things as not hearing bad things. The rumours around Brisbane footy circle were constant and quite damning. Sure, rumours aren't always true but the interesting thing is there's nothing this year. I've not heard a single negative comment about him. Whatever drove the persistent and negative stories about him last year has gone.

I always held out hope that the kid we all once rated so highly in terms of character was there somewhere and that he'd just lost his way. I'm rapt that he's having a good year and even more pleased that there's no negativity surrounding his character.

With the footy he's played this year, I hope we re-sign him and I hope he's around for the rest of his career.

From my perspective, it's not so much about hearing good things as not hearing bad things. The rumours around Brisbane footy circle were constant and quite damning. Sure, rumours aren't always true but the interesting thing is there's nothing this year. I've not heard a single negative comment about him. Whatever drove the persistent and negative stories about him last year has gone.

I always held out hope that the kid we all once rated so highly in terms of character was there somewhere and that he'd just lost his way. I'm rapt that he's having a good year and even more pleased that there's no negativity surrounding his character.

With the footy he's played this year, I hope we re-sign him and I hope he's around for the rest of his career.
No Hanley around this year?

If Rocky wants to say it shows that he is very confident in Fagan and Noble and the direction the club is heading. He is probably of the opinion that we are a chance of finals footy before he retires, 4-6 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back