Outlook Rocky: he likes an expensive Tawny

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rocky will explore his options as he should, but think it is 5050 at this stage.

All I've heard is positivity regarding Rock this year. Has really turned things around in his personal life. If we can net pick 2-4 for him I'd take it but anything less and I'd sign him for the rest of his career. Reckon it may be hard getting band 1 as my gut feel is if rock leaves it'll be to a premiership contender. May be hard to get a developed team to offer 700k +. Afl may need to help us a bit to get the band 1.

Sadly I just don't see this happening. I can see him going to the Suns, to be with old mate Hanley and a side which could be contending in his career life time.

Gets to stay in his QLD Mc Mansion and earn reasonable coin, get a fresh start and well just move on from all the crappy innuendo he has faced.

We will take what ever is offered as usual, as beggars can't be choosers.

Sadly I just don't see this happening. I can see him going to the Suns, to be with old mate Hanley and a side which could be contending in his career life time.

Gets to stay in his QLD Mc Mansion and earn reasonable coin, get a fresh start and well just move on from all the crappy innuendo he has faced.

If that was the case; shame you couldn't do a deal sending May and Ainsworth our way.

The thought of losing both Rockliff and Schache(And McStay heaven forbid) is scary both from an on field point of view and a marketing point of view. Losing Rocky would make it even harder for us to compete and hence we'd likely produce even worse performances in 2018 as we have this year and that would lead to quite possibly record low crowds at the Gabba on a consistent basis. How could we put a positive spin on losing our best player and a number 2 draft pick who was marketed as a bit of a saviour?

Things could be different if we are able to pick up some handy recruits obviously but the chances of doing that have to be incredibly slim. The best we've been able to attract over the past couple of years has been Bastinac, Bell, Walker, Jansen and Frost.

For the first time in a long time I wouldn't begrudge anyone for completely losing hope. We will no doubt leak talent over the next couple years if performances don't improve which they are unlikely to if we were to lose Rocky. Tom Cutler for example signed a 2 year deal just recently. That says to me he is going to see where we are at in 2 years time and if we are still bottom 4 as we will have been by that stage for all 6 years of his time at the club you couldn't blame him and others for leaving.

I am really confident in the likes of Fagan, Noble and Swann but they have their work cut out for them in a major way. I almost feel like we need to go out and offer a young star e.g. someone aged 22-23 a big offer that would blow them out of the water. Something way above market value in order to convince them to join us just to give this club something to market to fans and obviously help with on field performance both now and heading into the future.

If the Roos have the balls to offer Kelly 1m over 9 years then we should too. I'm sick of us overpaying our senior blokes and always falling short of cash to lure an elite young talent. I know most blokes would ran away at the thought of coming to Brisbane and playing for a rubbish club but sometimes the offer can be too good to refuse. I would be targeting someone like Parish who is going to be a very good player... put up 750k for 5 years and make the Bombers sweat.

Last edited:
I am really confident in the likes of Fagan, Noble and Swann but they have their work cut out for them in a major way. I almost feel like we need to go out and offer a young star e.g. someone aged 22-23 a big offer that would blow them out of the water. Something way above market value in order to convince them to join us just to give this club something to market to fans and obviously help with on field performance both now and heading into the future.

One of the factors in breaking the Bad News Bears paradigm all those years ago was signing the megastar Alistair Lynch to a 10 year contract

I'm going only from my increasingly dodgy memory here but I think it was $10M over 10 years, which was megabucks back in those days.

I think we've reached the stage where we really do have to go for broke and get a Fyfe , D Martin or even someone like a Robbie Gray locked away on a rest of career contract....or continue to slide further towards total irrelevancy

We're in good hands (Fagan/Noble)
McLuggage and Berry both love it here.
We have more first round talent than we have had for a long time
The club is stable. Players rate their happiness a 4.5/5 - last year it was something like 2.5/5
If Schache/Rock goes, we will get very good value for them
Mcstay is 95% re-signing
We're inches away from announcing brilliant new facilities that the players are rapt about.

Sure we can feel negative and angry over losing Schache and possibly Rock, but the club is super stable, there is a heap of positives and we have some great minds looking after our list. We will be fine.

I can't give a name at the moment, but a senior player will be signing on for another 2-3 years in the coming months. Without giving much away I think the majority of fans will be happy and hope his best footy is still ahead of him.

I can't give a name at the moment, but a senior player will be signing on for another 2-3 years in the coming months. Without giving much away I think the majority of fans will be happy and hope his best footy is still ahead of him.

Is this player out of contract this year?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bundy?

The thought of losing both Rockliff and Schache(And McStay heaven forbid) is scary both from an on field point of view and a marketing point of view. Losing Rocky would make it even harder for us to compete and hence we'd likely produce even worse performances in 2018 as we have this year and that would lead to quite possibly record low crowds at the Gabba on a consistent basis. How could we put a positive spin on losing our best player and a number 2 draft pick who was marketed as a bit of a saviour?

Things could be different if we are able to pick up some handy recruits obviously but the chances of doing that have to be incredibly slim. The best we've been able to attract over the past couple of years has been Bastinac, Bell, Walker, Jansen and Frost.

For the first time in a long time I wouldn't begrudge anyone for completely losing hope. We will no doubt leak talent over the next couple years if performances don't improve which they are unlikely to if we were to lose Rocky. Tom Cutler for example signed a 2 year deal just recently. That says to me he is going to see where we are at in 2 years time and if we are still bottom 4 as we will have been by that stage for all 6 years of his time at the club you couldn't blame him and others for leaving.

NAT FYFE OR DUSTIN MARTIN. We have to at least really have a crack at getting another A grade talent on our list, and into the midfield. We would have one of the best in the AFL with either of them.

On SM-T355Y using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can't see him at the sun's ever. He loves the lions too much.

We pay overs to keep players and hence should never of lost the extra cap.
Although then the Magpies cannot just raid as as easily :) and we all know Eddie runs the AFL.

Shak going worries me less the Rocky. We have lots of young talls and not all of them will come on.
We have a lot less of big bodied midfielders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't blame Rockliff for leaving considering how the club treated him last year, constant innuendo that he is a massive liability and everyone hates him, pummelled from pillar to post in the media and Leppa was quite slow to defend him, etc. we have been so bad for so long. On the other hand tho, we need him so badly. Just have a chat to non hardcores about The team and you'll see that we are considered a joke, if the rest of the season and next goes like the last couple of weeks I can see crowds going down to GWS levels, 10K etc, and the clubs financial position (already poisonous) will further deteriorate. We are truly down to the hardcore fans only at this point, the club should start selling much cheaper tickets just to get more through the gate!

Wouldn't blame Rockliff for leaving considering how the club treated him last year, constant innuendo that he is a massive liability and everyone hates him, pummelled from pillar to post in the media and Leppa was quite slow to defend him, etc. we have been so bad for so long. On the other hand tho, we need him so badly. Just have a chat to non hardcores about The team and you'll see that we are considered a joke, if the rest of the season and next goes like the last couple of weeks I can see crowds going down to GWS levels, 10K etc, and the clubs financial position (already poisonous) will further deteriorate. We are truly down to the hardcore fans only at this point, the club should start selling much cheaper tickets just to get more through the gate!

Comments about 'can't blame rocky for leaving after how the club treated him' piss me off. He treated the club horribly by the actions he took in his personal life last year. It was bad to the point he tried to leave and not one other club wanted him. Maybe consider his actions were the cause of the bs with the club, not the other way around. He was not the victim.

Moving on, he has got his s**t together and Fagan has glowingly praised him all year, as has the media.

Comments about 'can't blame rocky for leaving after how the club treated him' piss me off. He treated the club horribly by the actions he took in his personal life last year. It was bad to the point he tried to leave and not one other club wanted him. Maybe consider his actions were the cause of the bs with the club, not the other way around. He was not the victim.

Moving on, he has got his s**t together and Fagan has glowingly praised him all year, as has the media.

Fagan praised rocky just after he got here. Wouldn't have been sufficient time for the apparent massive turn.

I still want to know what he did to treat the club so badly?

Sorry for having an opinion different to yours. No one ever really said what he was up to apart from massive generalisations so I'm still skeptical about the whole thing re: last year.

Senior as in senior listed or over the age of 25?

Yup, how well Rocky plays this year is no reflection on his poor influence off the field in previous years (and not this year either to be honest, although I haven't heard anything good or bad about him this season). I just hope he's doing the right things off the field these days.

Sorry for having an opinion different to yours. No one ever really said what he was up to apart from massive generalisations so I'm still skeptical about the whole thing re: last year.

Nothing wrong with being skeptical mate but there have been a plethora of comments about the club treating Rocky bad despite the mass amounts of smoke/fire coming from Rocky.

Either way, last year won't influence rockys decision. If he was really as hard done by at the hands of the club as you suggested, do you think he'd be vice captain and in career best form? Do you also think he wouldn't have received a trade last year if there was no truth?

Name in the thread title? Seems strange to post it here otherwise...

One of the factors in breaking the Bad News Bears paradigm all those years ago was signing the megastar Alistair Lynch to a 10 year contract

I'm going only from my increasingly dodgy memory here but I think it was $10M over 10 years, which was megabucks back in those days.

I think we've reached the stage where we really do have to go for broke and get a Fyfe , D Martin or even someone like a Robbie Gray locked away on a rest of career contract....or continue to slide further towards total irrelevancy
Actually Lynch was on $2m over 10 years, which got renegotiated a bit over half way through. Wages went through the roof in that time.

Inflation is a bitch eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back