The Bigfooty Liverpool Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So lets say to win the title Liverpool have to beat City and Arsenal. None of the others are realistic title winners.

City have played 4 of the big 6 away - Newcastle, Arsenal, United and Chelsea.

Arsenal have played 2 - Chelsea and Newcastle.

Liverpool have a very nice base.
Agreed.

The 2021-22 title was lost because of the results inside the top four. And it looks likely again.

City are yet to go to Newcastle though, but they have won at United and lost at Arsenal. Three games, four points.

I also think we have more improvement in our squad than City does. The annoying thing about City is they just bank points against poor teams in all circumstances. We're much more prone to a draw at Luton for example.

The second weekend in March now looms large in the title race when we host City.

Underrated part of the Trent goal in the build up play is the work that Gravenberch does in progressing the ball up the pitch and gliding past Rodri(?). That's something we have lacked in the squad in general since Mane left, and not really something we've had in midfield since Oxlade-Chamberlain was fit and firing in 17/18. I think it's a real strength of Gravenberch and Szobozslai - which I think adds a real potency and threat to our midfield.

Our ultimate three man midfield should be a new world class 6 with Szo and Grav ahead of him. Then Mac, Jones, Endo, Bajcetic as rotation options.

I feel a bit for Mac Allister, you can see what a great player he is, but just struggles at times in that 6 role. I can easily envisage him being our best midfielder when he’s in the 8.

I feel Curtis Jones will probably start the LASK game as he needs match minutes with Grav starting on Sunday. I also expect Jurg to give Mo the first half in the LASK game so we can put the match to bed and sub him at half time.

I also expect Jurg to give Kostas a rest who has played some serious minutes recently. Last thing we need is Kostas breaking down before a Robbo return.

I feel a bit for Mac Allister, you can see what a great player he is, but just struggles at times in that 6 role. I can easily envisage him being our best midfielder when he’s in the 8.
This is the thing that has been a slight annoyance of mine with us. Why sign so many left wingers or players who play best on the left side of the midfield? We are wasting good players away by playing them in positions they are not best in. Why sign Mac if we were going to sign Gravenberch? Diaz and Jota both fighting over the wing. Gakpo being played all over the place himself.

If Salah or Szoboszlai are injured, we are in trouble as we have no elite cover on that side. But the left side of our attack/midfield is stacked as. We are wasting Mac by not having a proper elite CDM down the back. But even then if we did, Mac has to compete with like 2-3 other guys for the one spot.

Yeah I feel for him too, he playing the entire season in a position that isnt his position at all. He's doing ok, but that's not the reason we signed him and while Grav and Szo look great and get plaudits, nobody is really talking about Mac because he's not being given the chance to shine.

Hopefully we can get Baj back and release Mac further forward.

I feel Curtis Jones will probably start the LASK game as he needs match minutes with Grav starting on Sunday. I also expect Jurg to give Mo the first half in the LASK game so we can put the match to bed and sub him at half time.

I also expect Jurg to give Kostas a rest who has played some serious minutes recently. Last thing we need is Kostas breaking down before a Robbo return.
Who is the fill in for Kostas?

Just a reminder that we've got 4 games in just over a week. 30th, 3rd, 6th and 9th.

I'd start Doak in Europa, see if he can do anything, then use Mo in the 2nd half if needed.

As for Kostas, he had a rest for the last Greek game, I'd start him here too, with Gomez playing RB. Then in the 2nd half depending on how we are going, Chambers could play LB, or Trent gets subbed on and Gomez shifts to the left.

Thiago getting fit in January for the rest of the season will be like a new signing. I get the feeling FSG have someone lined up in summer at #6 and are now not going to sign anyone in Jan.

Kinda similar to how they gave us absolute shite in Jan 2021 at CB when Gomez / Van Dijk / Matip were all out for the season. That was because they had their sights set on Konate for his buyout clause in summer and decided to wing it for the rest of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MacAllister is so underrated right now. He is playing awesome. But;

1/ he is playing out of position and this means he cannot show his best stuff because his defensive duties come first, it also means he is not playing in his best position, and

2/ Szoboszlai is getting all the love

The selflessness that MacAllister is currently playing with is way underrated. Gravernberch is getting more credit half the time.

The Bigfooty Liverpool Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back