Roast The Brownlow has no credibility left

Remove this Banner Ad

Every year the same old story where people still think the Brownlow is about awarding the best footballer the medal.
The 3 greatest players he sport has seen never won one between them. It’s just a pumped up umpires award with little or no more credibility today than it had 50 years ago.
yep.

Carey
Franklin
Pavlich

Thought Neale had a down year by his standards. Bontempelli, Daicos, or Petracca would've been more deserving winners based on output for the year, I think.
People that trot this line out dont get how the award works.

Player A can be BOG in 10 games and utterly useless in the other 12 compared

Player B never a standout BOG, instead is 3rd or 4th best on ground in ALL 22 games.

Player A wins the brownlow with 30 votes, whilat player B may get low 20 votes.

The voting system is what it is.

Player B never a standout BOG, instead is 3rd or 4th best on ground in ALL 22 games.

You're probably too young to remember watching Gavin Wangerneen win the Brownlow.

Fun times. I had a good laugh.

Pretty sure daicos got 30 disposals and 3 goals that game as well. Absolutely robbed of the 3 votes.
Utterly bizarre some of these decisions from the Ump. Houston getting 35 meaningless touches in a belting against the Blues is also worthy of 3 votes allegedly. Yet Gulden having 42 and 2 isn't worthy of more than 1.

The JHF thing reads like spot fixing tbh.
Nothing would surprise me. Last year Karl Amon got 15 votes for Port despite not getting any votes in anyone's predictor.

Was paying in the hundreds to be top vote getter (for Port).

A couple of his individual 3 vote performances were paying in the 80s (and more).

And at the end of the day, it seems the umpires arbitrarily get to decide what is BOG. I'm sure the posters here can argue cases as to who deserved more or less in each games which would've affected the outcome. Was Neale BOG vs GWS for example?

I know it's also easy to say players like Bont, Petracca, Daicos etc had others taking votes off them. I wonder why players like Dunkley and McCluggage were only good for 7 votes combined?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dude, Neale was getting votes in games where he was a complete non-entity.

I'm not saying it was fixed (although it kind of was) but if this is what the umpires are seeing one can understand why they are thought as rubbish at officiating too.

Neale is a fine player and a deserving Brownlow Medalist...as in he deserved his first Brownlow.

Bloody hell do you expect him to be taking the game nationwide in 1885? He was a pioneer.
Theres something to be said for tradition.
Why not? Con Hickey did. If Brownlow had followed his example, we might have more football states. He was president of the Australian National Football Council for five years, in which time the number of delegates were cut and NZ was expelled. I can't imagine any of that helped the growth of the game outside the established states.

Pretty rude comment if you ask me.
Good thing nobody asked you.

I did a thing..............

Only 4 times in the last 20 years have all three awards gone to the same player.

An extra 3 times where the players and coaches agreed, so total 7 out of 20.

I count 3 times where a non midfielder won the The Leigh Matthews Trophy (AFLPA) - Kouta, Darcy and Riewoldt.

I count 5 times where a non midfielder won the AFL Coaches Association's AFL Champion Player Award - Tredrea, Hall, Goodes, Gray and Gawn.

I count 2 times where a non midfielder won the Brownlow - Goodes 2003 and Goodes 2006.

Overall, it seems the AFLCA is more balanced and I find myself agreeing with the AFLCA over the AFLPA more often, especially with Oliver/Miller last year, both easily in my eyes were more influential and had better years than Brayshaw while Cripps wins the Brownlow lol, same in 2021, I feel Oliver had the best year just ahead of the Bont, while Wines win the Brownlow ahahaha, what a joke.

It's a pump up, money making scheme, nothing more, has no weight in the eyes of die hard fans, "umpires" vote, yeah sure, it's an event to take money out of the hands of idiot punters, just another controlled horse race. There are some seasons where it would be too risky and obvious if they 'fixed' the count because the player was just too good. I think with forums like this and with the internet, now we have the ability to stream/watch every game, have replays and stats and can go back and remember what happened, more people are starting to realise that it is a joke and a scam.

Cough Michael Pell Cough Nothing to see here, business as usual lol

Votes Thing.jpg

Seems to be the same comments every year:
Player X didn't deserve to win
Player Y should've won
Player Z got robbed of 3 votes in this game
Player A shouldn't have got votes in that game

The umpires are there to adjudicate the rules, not watch how each of the 44/46 players perform.
When are the umpires paying the most attention? During contested situations. More players huddled together and more chances of free kicks being paid. So it's little wonder that players who gather a lot of contested possessions and clearances attract more votes.
When a player is out in space, running, or on the outside of a contest waiting for the handball receive, there's less things for an ump to watch out for.

Neale was top 10 in both contested possessions and clearances, which now continues the trend of 14 of the past 16 winners all being top 10 in both stats. The other two winners were top 10 in one of those metrics and top 20 in the other.

A look at the top 10 this year shows that the trend very much continues and players like Daicos, Gulden and Butters have actually bucked the trend by finishing top 5. The areas where those 3 excel are where the other 7 struggle.
1695692042943.png

I'm sure this has been mentioned already but polling 3 votes in a 10 goal loss is a stitch up, too.

F63mPz9aIAAjuyx
There was a lot dodgy about this count but this wasn't. Sheed was phenominal this game and to be fair for most of the season was one of the only Eagles to have a decent crack. Deserved the 3.

Neale is also, regardless of one game, a worthy winner. His work in the contest is excellent.

I feel for Bont but better players have deserved and not won the Brownlow before (Ablett Snr, Carey). Didn't affect thier legacy. He will retire as arguably the greatest Bulldog ever. I'm sure that will help him sleep at night.

Three of the games greats have spent three days condemning umpires after Friday nights debacle and bias. Now everyone is up in arms about the votes they give.

Ridiculous.

Why? He had 43 touches, 14 CP and kicked a goal, while playing with a team of WAFL standard team mates against the best team in the comp.

Is that better than 30 (mostly uncontested) touches a 3 goals in a team that is steamrolling the opposition?

I don't think that one is bad at all, tbh. That is a bloody good game of football by Sheed

In fairness, Sheed did have 43 disposals, 9 marks and 1 goal in that match.

Which considering they got pumped, that’s pretty impressive. I don’t buy into the idea that the best player on ground has to be from the winning team.

To play like that when you’re getting belted is more impressive IMO.

It was also only a blowout in the last quarter. West Coast really challenged Collingwood through to 3/4 time after an average start. I recall Yeo being pretty immense in that game as well. Big question is why Josh Daicos got a vote, lol. :p

It seems fairly clear that the umpires see and weight contested disposals far more than people watching at home, who tend to weight uncontested/metres gained more. They also don't look at stats and particularly not supercoach so aren't swayed by

I guess it makes sense - they are seeing and appreciating the strength and skill that takes right up close, and may tend to miss the fast play down the wing. A bit like sitting on the boundary vs on level 4 as a spectator.

Hence Neale, Cripps, and to some extent guys like Viney poll well, particularly when they have low (relative) disposal but high CP games. And outside players can rack up 40 loose touches and in particular, kicking goals as a small or medium forward who gets on the end of a chain of handballs, et, and get nothing.

There is also an issue with thr 3-2-1 voting system. BOG gets triple the votes of the third best player and fourth gets none, no matter thr quality of game. You can be the 'best' player in a 100+ point blowout against West Coast that no one watched after quarter time and get 3, or you can have a ripper in the hardest, toughest game all year but miss out because so many others played well, and of course the public sees that.

I still think it is the best, most neutral and least affected by distortion award we have. Neale was rated highly and played in a lot of 'off radar' games. The other players tipped to do well did so, with a few smokies here and there etc.
Afl mvp gets the best player far more right then brownlow. As for bias, the brownlow is massively biased for midfielders. Carey, ablett never won brownlows. They won mvps.

Afl mvp gets the best player far more right then brownlow. As for bias, the brownlow is massively biased for midfielders. Carey, ablett never won brownlows. They won mvps.

Yep. Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett, Carey. All won it.

It does however match the trend in increased voting in the Brownlow. The last non-midfielder to win it was Riewoldt in 2004 - nearly 20 years ago. Ever since - nothing but midfielders.

Brownlow reforms that need to be implemented from next year.

1. The AFL has to disclose the rules (not guidelines) on how the umpires allot the 3, 2, 1 votes. These rules must be published on the AFL website, and any change to the rules must be voted on by a majority of AFL clubs, and a majority of AFLPA members.

2. The AFL must publish the results of each round's voting the day after the last game of the round.

At the moment, nobody knows how the umpires allot the votes. No body knows if the votes have been amended or tampered with. No body knows where the votes are stored. No body knows who has "audited" the votes. No body knows who has knowledge of the leading votes at any given time of the season.

At the moment, the whole system is open to corruption. As such, the award is meaningless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back