The Brownlow Medal should remove the "fairest" aspect

Remove this Banner Ad

Because of this rule, the best player in the competition this year will not be winning the "best" player award.

The fact that a player can become ineligible due to a split second "decision" (if you can call it that) is a joke.

There's no way I think it deserved a suspension, but that doesn't matter.

No other sport in the world has this trivial requirement for their respective awards, if the AFL are changing rules so often they should change this too.

Because of this rule, the best player in the competition this year will not be winning the "best" player award.

The fact that a player can become ineligible due to a split second "decision" (if you can call it that) is a joke.

nice melt

No other sport in the world has this trivial requirement for their respective awards, if the AFL are changing rules so often they should change this too.
Hawthorn endorse this thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But it's not the best player award. It's the best and fairest player award. You can be the best player but not the fairest. Not saying I think Dangerfield is the best nor that his suspension was the right call.

So let's go back and give Chris grant his medal and all the other guys who missed out cause of suspensions. And strip the guys who got awarded the medal in those years of their medals.

Take your Geelong hat and Geelong glasses off. Dangerfield was by the letter of the law rightly suspended. Don't like it get the rule changed but carrying on like a spoilt child and wanting the change the biggest award in football for one bloke is ridiculous

It's not the "best" player award. It's the "best & fairest" player.

If you don't drop the fairest requirement then this thread is null and void so you've actually created a contradiction where none previously existed.

Maybe it having this requirement is what makes it so special. Its not even a best and fairest.

Its a fairest and best.

There are 101 awards for best players. Only one for the fairest and best. The AFL should never be allowed to change that. Or the Brownlow family should ask for their name back.

Maybe they should remove the best aspect

Agreed.

bIZ9X25.gif

upload_2017-7-31_16-7-44.png
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownlow_Medal

The Brownlow is Fairest and Best player, individual clubs have Best and Fairest!

Last edited:
But it's not the best player award. It's the best and fairest player award. You can be the best player but not the fairest. Not saying I think Dangerfield is the best nor that his suspension was the right call.
There certainly is a difference between a sniping cheat...say Sam Mitchell targeting Ablett in a grand final and tackling ruckman too well.

Fairest is important to keep the cheats in line. Doesn't necessarily mean the aggressive or even unnecessarily temperamental at times can't achieve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back