Analysis The Bushranger's Hanky: 1/3 Season Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Season 2020
Don’t know about you, but I actually like this season. To be honest, the whole 17 game season with everyone just wingin’ it seemed largely pointless to me as a footy fan at the beginning. It was obvious that it was a just a cash grab, with the aim to get as many games in as possible so everyone in the industry could get paid, rather than a competition to determine the best team.

But now, it’s got a T20 vibe to it. And not a 2018 T20 vibe, but like when it first started.

You know, everyone hated it ‘cause it was going to ruin the game and was a skidmark on the whites of test cricket – but pretty soon it was hugely popular.

The catch of course, is that it was great because it was different and somehow weirdly refreshing. It became boring and dull pretty quick. So although I’m enjoying this season immensely, the AFL need to be careful they don’t get sucked in and try to ‘T20fy’ (tee-twen-tee-fy) the game longer term.

Holding the Ball
One sour note has been the flip flopping on the ‘holding the ball’/’incorrect disposal’ interpretation. I think they AFL finally made progress in R6. They had make a 'tweak' rather than a significant rule change that actually was positively impacting the game.

Interesting then that the rocket scientists down there have now thrown it out the window and reverted to the old interpretation.

Seriously, what ******* morons they are.

What was the point of changing the interpretation dramatically for 1 week??!!

Sure, there were some howlers given by the umpires (Coffield in the St Kilda v. Freo game for example) but for the first time in years we'd actually seen a sensible rule 'change' that was actually making a difference. In one round we'd already started to see the signs that players were actually trying to clear the ball with quick kicks and not just conceding stoppages over and over and over again.

Finally.

And it would have improved more and more as the players adjusted to the new interpretation.

But no, they change it back after one week. Honestly, WTF does that achieve?

Just idiocy of the highest order

Deformity
Never seen a head as big as Josh Daicos’. Borderline deformed. It’s up there with Roger Federer’s right arm, Tex Walker’s right ear and Gladstone Small’s neck as sports greatest deformities.

Working on the Lipinksi File
What does Patrick Lipinksi do? He seems to play each week, but I don't think I've ever heard the commentators say his name or ever seen him doing anything even remotely close to remarkable or relevant to a game.

That's not to say he isn't any good, I just don't know what he does. I see him on the screen occasionally, but never see him with the ball or ever doing anything.

Calling all Bulldogs fans - what's his role? He must be doing something right to get a game every week. Is he a tagger? Or is he just a plant to target the Western suburbs' teenage girls to sign up as members?

Worst Best
I vote for Westhoff as the worst 'good player' in the comp. Drew Petrie held the title for a long time, but I think we've found a new champ.

Freak Geek
I wonder when Tom Lynch will grow out of that awkward teenager, gawky phase? He still looks like one of those gun junior footballers that have no ability, but go through puberty before everyone else and start dominating all the other kids due to their huge physical advantage. He has that geeky haircut and awkward running style, and also that aggro that those early developers in the U12s always had.

Faint Whiff of the Saints at Melbourne?
Anyone else noticed some odd similarities between how Melbourne are playing this year, and how the Saints played for the past 3 or 4 years? Aside from 'terribly', specifically I'm referring to the manic play-on at every chance, and the bomb it in strategy.

Interesting that Richardson is now at Melbourne.

God help them.

If there is a link, it's mind boggling. Why would you hire a guy with zero tactical nouse, as a Director of Coaching - and then choose to implement some of his tactical philosophies? I'm sure there are some things he's good at, but coaching a football team was not one of them. The Saints were repugnant under him. Largely because of the two strategies mentioned above!
They'd better hope Petracca doesn't stop carrying them.

Two Identical Strangers
Anyone seen the doco on Netflix called Three Identical Strangers? Spoiler Alert: it's about an experiment that was conducted where they split up identical triplets and twins and adopted them out to different families to see how their environment impacted their lives.

Well, there is currently a similar experiment happening in the AFL with the King twins.

One is being raised in an environment with crazy enthusiasm and exuberance, where confidence is high and he has a beast like Sam Day along side him - the other is being raised at St Kilda where there is a lack of confidence and belief still lingering from the Richardson era.

Both are very talented and are playing really well for 19yo KPPs - but Max should be doing better. Not 'should be doing better' in the sense that he's underperforming for a 19yo KPP, but should be doing better because he gets his hands on so many 'markable' balls but just can't hold them. He's also missing some easy goals.

Ben however, is largely making the most of his opportunities. The body language between the two is very different. Ben has some aggro and attacks each contest like he's expecting to win it. Max appears slightly more 'timid', and seems to attack each contest like he hopes he will win it.

Tim Membrey is a good player - but he's not an angry man. He's certainly not intimidating. I reckon Max King needs an enforcer of sorts next to him, before the lingering introverted culture left behind by Richardson that exists in Billings, Ross, Membrey and others becomes part of his psyche.

Hambone
Did I really hear Hamish McLaughlin say 'Sleep well' to Bruce McAvaney the other night after the game? I've never heard anything so utterly patronising in my life. It was like 10pm FFS!

Dennis Still Has it
Thanks to Ch7 for getting Basil to interview Dennis the other night. I needed reminding as to how woeful Zempalis is, and how good Cometti was.

They were talking about how unbelievable it was that Geelong and Collingwood were playing in Perth etc. etc. And Dennis accidentally called the AFL the VFL. I say "accidentally", because he was clearly having a dig.

But it was too much for Basil and way over his head, and he corrected Dennis on it. To which of course Dennis rolled his eyes and sarcastically pretended he didn't mean it.

Quality viewing.

Who Gives a s**t?
Unless you're a Port, Lions or Eagles fan - who gives a s**t where the Grand Final is held? Realistically it's not like anyone can go anyway.

One thing it does do, is shows how awful the 20 year contract to play it at the MCG was. I'm largely a traditionalist when it comes to the game itself, but it's a national disgrace that the Grand Final doesn't move around the country each year. It's just appalling for a National comp.

And, I'm also loving seeing non-Vic teams get outrageous home ground advantage. Certainly puts a new slant on things.

Off With His Arms!
Speaking of the King brothers...At what point will Ratten or someone at St Kilda publicly complain about Max King getting his arms chopped?

Really poor by the AFL the allow it. In a time when we're crying out for entertainment, why not enforce an existing rule? Weird.

Repeat Entries
What a load of s**t. I get that if you don't score when you enter F50, you want to get it back in there. But that's surely a Plan B in case you don't score the first time!

Watching GWS, and then the Gold Coast last night is like pulling teeth! It's like scoring is not the aim, the aim is to get a repeat entry!

Gold Coast should have kicked about 8 goals in the 2nd quarter last night. But instead they persisted with this moronic bombing to the hot spot for 20 minutes. And of course thrre were 10 Bulldogs waiting for it every time - and they easily repelled entry after entry.

To kick a winning score using that method, you'd need about 900 F50 entries every week!

Just madness.

Not to mention that you're wasting a guy like Ben King by doing it.

Dougal Howser MD
Dougal Howard has really long arm pit hair.

Dwayne 'The Love Muscle' Russell
Please stop saying "..aGGAAInnn" all the time Dwayne. It shits me.

Tag a Hobbit?
Why wouldn't you tag Daniel from the Bulldogs? Man, that little dude gives them 3-4 goals every week with his uncontested kicking across half back.
Gotta tag him. He's too good.

Last edited:
It’ll be interesting to see the performance of Victorian teams interstate next season. While a supposed disadvantage this year, it could prove to be a big advantage next season given their newfound familiarity with the grounds.

Speaking of which, I’m not so sure it’s as big a disadvantage as it’s being made out to be. Surely the main issue with playing interstate is the travel. Well, they’re not travelling.

It’ll be interesting to see the performance of Victorian teams interstate next season. While a supposed disadvantage this year, it could prove to be a big advantage next season given their newfound familiarity with the grounds.

Speaking of which, I’m not so sure it’s as big a disadvantage as it’s being made out to be. Surely the main issue with playing interstate is the travel. Well, they’re not travelling.

Why will 2021 be different to 2020, the reality of the losses made by ALL clubs this year, the debt revealed on the line of credit clarified. All those staff on jobkeeper gone.
As for the disadvantage of travelling, think of the advantage of not travelling ...

Isn't it also not sleeping in own bed and no home cooked meal (though you'd think their meals would be very nice and healthy when cooked for away games at the hotel)? Do players even get their own hotel rooms? If they have to pair up, maybe some loud snorers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back